SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 March 2018, 11:19
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The four soldiers that this thread is about were millenials.
Understood. I was unclear in my words.

My statement is regarding a subset of the non-serving public as referenced in Sharky's previous comment.
Old 13 March 2018, 11:28
Army SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
Understood. I was unclear in my words.

My statement is regarding a subset of the non-serving public as referenced in Sharky's previous comment.
It is an interesting point. The divide between the soldier and the civilian population has been a subject that has been studied for many years, far before Millennials. Samuel Huntington's 1957 book The Soldier and the State goes into this subject in detail. Many other academic studies have done so before and after. It is not a Millennial thing. But, I will admit that the social engineering that we see has been tremendously accelerated by how people interact today (social media, the Internet, web forums such as this one, etc.).
Old 13 March 2018, 11:43
Administrator

Quote:
The four soldiers that this thread is about were millenials.
Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. But, by and large, I agree with Mountainbum. As a generation, they are fucked up like a pile of wire coathangers.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 13 March 2018, 12:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. But, by and large, I agree with Mountainbum. As a generation, they are fucked up like a pile of wire coathangers.
as were Gen X'ers. as were boomers... hell, Plato/Socrates had something to say about the new generation..
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 13 March 2018, 12:21

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current description of millennials. There are, naturally, K-selected individuals who will gravitate towards the .mil and .mil-esque career fields.

However, the proportion/ratio of these individuals vs the rest of the worthless pussy soyboy noddle-armed fatfucks is rapidly decreasing. So much so that even the DoD itself said it's a friggin problem. Many things are to blame for this shift. Too numerous to mention here in one post.
Old 13 March 2018, 12:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
...Many things are to blame for this shift. Too numerous to mention here in one post.
Yep...and they start with the so-called parents that raised them and/or allowed the state to raise them.
Old 14 March 2018, 14:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
The western Africa franchise of ISIS/ISIL/IS released it on the web.
Thank you, you as well Pro. I've been unplugged and out of the country for the last week.

I made myself read the rest of their explanation statement. I'm not qualified to weigh the value of discrediting the enemies PR war vs. respect for the fallen to have any kind of opinion. Still strikes me as callous. I read what they said about myths as well, I'm not really familiar with any conspiracies regarding this either.

I call bullshit of them comparing the whole thing to George Strock's images, which they naturally didn't even credit. From a purely historical fact difference. That was an internally sourced image within Time/Life versus the way this video was appropriated. That photograph was deliberately picked to not show names or faces.
Old 14 March 2018, 14:44
BTDT

I wonder if the family has any legal standing since the video was used without permission -
could DOD have legal standing for the same reason?
just because a third party released it does that allow someone to tag it and post it without approval?
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 14 March 2018, 15:06
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I wonder if the family has any legal standing since the video was used without permission -
could DOD have legal standing for the same reason?
just because a third party released it does that allow someone to tag it and post it without approval?
Seems it would be the same as a unknown subject in America giving evidence to the police pertaining to a certain crime/suspect. The Police are free to use that evidence if they can articulate how it pertains to the crime/suspect. Unless the DOD can be held accountable because they didnít prevent its release. Since they were never in possession of it (as far as we know) they couldnít have prevented its release.
Old 14 March 2018, 15:13
BTDT

understood...
but it is easily argued that the footage was stolen from its original owner

If I am in possession of goods that I know are stolen, and I sell them... this video seems to fit that same mold
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 14 March 2018, 15:44
Navigating

Quote:
understood...

If I am in possession of goods that I know are stolen, and I sell them... this video seems to fit that same mold
I think other governmental agencies will hold the 2nd owner/shitheads of the video releaser(s) responsible/accountable. But it does make me wonder if ***** had a contact to enable them to become the 3rd owner (or even 4th).
Old 14 March 2018, 15:49
Unemployed Stunt Double

As a media outlet, the site that released it enjoys pretty broad protections under criminal and civil law.
Old 14 March 2018, 19:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
understood...

It depends on how the video was shot. If .mil gear was used, barring any kind of classification, it's considered public domain (I've seen several photos I shot while I was in for sale on eBay, and sadly, there's nothing illegal about it).
If it was on someone's private GoPro, the camera owner's family may have some ground to stand on, but I'm actually not sure.
Old 15 March 2018, 08:56
Navigating

Another Niger ambush, much different results. I'm starting to think the Nigerien forces are giving up intel to someone..

Take it to'em gents..well done.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/15...tary-says.html
Old 15 March 2018, 11:31
#AllLionsMatter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Another Niger ambush, much different results. I'm starting to think the Nigerien forces are giving up intel to someone...
Yes, we understand whom you're referencing...
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 15 March 2018, 17:04
Did...did I do that?

In the other thread, someone suggested reporting the video to YT to get it pulled. Here's what I said in my report:

Quote:
This video was originally shared by Daesh, a terrorist state, then uploaded by ******. With no accompanying commentary, the graphic video serves no useful purpose because it is not informative or nor does it have a documentary context in violation of YT community guidelines. Further, ****** cannot claim to own the copyright for this video. Copyright either belongs to a terrorist state or the dead service members. Either way, it is not original content, and violates Youtube's TOS (Section 6D).
I didn't watch it. You can stop it as soon as it loads, then click the three dots just above the Subscribe link. It currently has about 103k views and over 1k dislikes.
Old 15 March 2018, 19:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Another Niger ambush, much different results. I'm starting to think the Nigerien forces are giving up intel to someone..

Take it to'em gents..well done.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/15...tary-says.html
Gee, that's ever happened...said no one EVER..

Our new posting rules