SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 August 2011, 23:23
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsurccapt View Post
Giant George!! 250 lbs and plays fetch with a NFL regulation football!

I am actually looking for a dog right now, I want to try and rescue. I have two small children and my wife has a Mini Yorkie and a cat. I'm just looking for a companion for the family, to take fishing, hiking, swimming, boating, and trail riding in the Jeep. Any recommendations?

There are many success stories with rescuing dogs. I have done it twice now, and I didn't trust them around children. We still go to the shelters to drop off old toys and blankets and it breaks our hearts.
Just my .02. With 2 small children, a mini Yorkie, and a cat,..I'd stay away from a rescue. Both of mine turned bat-shit crazy, and one developed Addison's Disease and started snapping at everything that moved.

I am all for rescuing dogs when the circumstances slant that way. For me,..I just couldn't risk it if I had small children.

A shelters job is to move animals. I don't buy their assessments of the animal anymore. If you are hell-bent on rescuing a dog with small children, ask if you can foster the dog for a while until you see the dogs true colors.

Last edited by Trig; 13 August 2011 at 23:40. Reason: re-word
Old 14 August 2011, 01:00
Red Headed Stepchild

All of our dogs have been rescues since I was a kid. I've just been lucky I guess, they've all been great. Our latest:

Just home from the joint:

After a few months of good eatin':

I have to admit, he was a little rough when we first got him, but he has turned into a great dog. Total doofus, but one of the happiest dogs I've ever seen.

Pretty much Forrest Gump in dog form. He's kinda fast:

Old 14 August 2011, 01:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
Your post
The Humane Society I volunteer at is not there to move animals. They will not euthanize adoptable animals, regardless of how long it has been at the shelter. I think that you're making an incorrect generalization based on your experience and I understand that you may have had some issues with prior rescues. I am also sure that the assessment process may differ at various rescues. I can tell you however that there are many many adoptable animals at shelters who are there not because they have problems but because many of their owners were incompetent or felt that animal ownership shouldnt require any work. I've personally seen an animal brought into the shelter because "the color of the dog didnt match the couch..." I do completely agree with your rec to foster the dog first.

My recommendation would be to keep an open mind and if one is interested in a specific breed then they can look at breed specific rescues who probably can tell how that animal will be around kids.
Old 14 August 2011, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior D View Post
Your Post
Senior D. I concur in that I was being general. The shelters I have dealt with in the past were run by the township and it's 6 days and a wake up call for all dogs that end up there. - It is an emotional sell for them and for the prospective owner. You walk in, and meet the dog and then the control officer casually slips into the conversation that the dog will be put down in X amount of days. - That is how I came up with the notion of "moving animals." Im sure its different at a Non-Prof/No-Kill org.

There are indeed many adoptable animals out there if the circumstances fit.

Good on you for helping out with the Humane Society.
Old 14 August 2011, 02:30
BTDT

My dog, Zeke. We found him at the shelter about 2 months ago, but this is him on his first day with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 248317_1888948634825_1574733554_31810103_2950787_n.jpg (13.5 KB, 755 views)
Old 14 August 2011, 05:48
On the Extract Bird

Pretty neat thread..
Old 14 August 2011, 06:08
One jump chump

Awesome thread... I'll be on the lookout for a hiking/traveling buddy once I get home. For now I have to live vicariously through you all until I get settled.

Cheers!

John

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old 14 August 2011, 06:49

I am looking strongly at the Alapaha Blue-Blood Bulldog for my next dog. If we find a merle pup we may pull the trigger. Does anyone have any personal experience with the breed? http://goo.gl/GOz4v
Old 14 August 2011, 07:15
Isiah 53

That is one of the funniest dog and cat pics i have ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
He is a rescue named Cato. He trained very easily, and quite obviously he and the cat love to "play"

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 14 August 2011, 09:11
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonburnout View Post
That is one of the funniest dog and cat pics i have ever seen
X2 - Its hard to believe that is a real pose. If so, its a great picture.
Old 14 August 2011, 09:12
The Sagacious One

Quote:
There are many success stories with rescuing dogs. I have done it twice now, and I didn't trust them around children. We still go to the shelters to drop off old toys and blankets and it breaks our hearts.
Just my .02. With 2 small children, a mini Yorkie, and a cat,..I'd stay away from a rescue. Both of mine turned bat-shit crazy, and one developed Addison's Disease and started snapping at everything that moved.

I am all for rescuing dogs when the circumstances slant that way. For me,..I just couldn't risk it if I had small children.

A shelters job is to move animals. I don't buy their assessments of the animal anymore. If you are hell-bent on rescuing a dog with small children, ask if you can foster the dog for a while until you see the dogs true colors.

As smart as some dogs actually are, I give them too much credit. I think that dogs that are rescued understand their dire situation and are grateful for being rescued and becoming a part of the family.
Old 14 August 2011, 10:45
True Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Surf View Post
My 6 year old Belgian Malinois. I have had many dogs my entire life, working dogs included. This guy puts them all to shame. Great member of the family!
That's a good looking Mal. My department has 5 of them (used to be 6 but 1 died and was replaced with a Dutch Shepherd). The Mals are freaking studs, no way around it (one of them found my suspect after a pursuit just two nights ago ).

Challenges: I expected times like this- But I never thought they'd be so bad, so long, and so frequent.
Old 14 August 2011, 15:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM View Post
That's a good looking Mal. My department has 5 of them (used to be 6 but 1 died and was replaced with a Dutch Shepherd). The Mals are freaking studs, no way around it (one of them found my suspect after a pursuit just two nights ago ).
I was a bit unsure about a Mal and the family at first but he has fit in well. It took some effort to convince him that he was NOT #2 in the pecking order as that is where he wanted to be. All of my GSD's took to a family quicker, but now he watches over them like he does me. I have had a few GSD's, GSP's and my family currently has Australian Shepherds as working cattle dogs, but the Mals drives are hard to beat IMO.

Besides he and I have been through a good scrape together with a couple of 100 plus pounder Pits and we very much had each others back. He got the crap kicked out of him, but in the end he saved my ass. Of course I saved his in return. Those pits won't be attacking anyone / anything else ever again.
Old 14 August 2011, 17:03
Confirmed User

Here's two of my three. Lexy (on the left) is a Lab/Pit that was a rescue from the shelter in San Diego. You can't really tell in the picture but she has some awesome dark brindle coloring.

Pharaoh is an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier that my roommates got from a breeder somewhere here in Virginia. He's an awesome dog with the kids and extremely protective of the roommate's two daughters.

They also have a chihuahua that they got for the girls with the same coloring as Pharaoh, but I don't have any pictures of that rat.
Old 14 August 2011, 18:41
Preparing to defend

My English Setter, Carolina George. Bred from Champions, by my Brother in Law, and was born within hours of my daughter. Excellent family member and good upland game dog. Died at 16 and a half. The Siamese, died within a month of him. Charlemagne was 8. Got him at Campbell when I was with 5th Grp.

Last edited by jdogonroad; 14 August 2011 at 18:45.
Old 14 August 2011, 19:14

[IMG]://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1310443554976&set=a.1081669395765.2016692.1047214583&type=1&theater[/IMG]
my big sweetie Sheriff... also a rescue...//www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1081678996005&set=a.1081669395765.2016692.1047214583&type=1&theater
Old 14 August 2011, 19:23
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig
There are indeed many adoptable animals out there if the circumstances fit....
Ditto. No doubt about it. But I admit to not understanding the taking of a "rescued" dog, where the person rescuing the dog has no personal experience with raising that dog -- and is only going on the word of the person at the shelter -- into a home with small children. It simply amazes me. If we accept that dogs are essentially animals that are somewhat less intelligent that humans, and somewhat supposedly more "wild" than humans -- and those are the cases where we "know" the dog -- then bringing a dog we don't know, who may have issues we cannot possibly be informed of, into an environment where they will have the momentary access to kill or maim a small child -- I just don't get it.

I won't criticize those that do this, but I will not do it myself, and will keep my family somewhat removed from a rescued dog, simply because I care for them too much (the family).

Again, good on those who help keep the animals alive, and for those that make educated decisions to taken them into a home because they truly know something about the animal's upbringing, right on. For those of you whom are adopting rescues, where you have small children, and where you simply cannot demo that you know if that dog was ever abused or exposed to a situation that is detrimental to it's social abilities -- I hope you never find yourself regretting such a decision....
Old 14 August 2011, 19:40
On the Extract Bird

What a great thread! I miss my two German Shepherd's, may they R.I.P. One of them was my partner who died of a heat stroke and the other a family pet who I had to put down due to a degenerative spinal desease. Both loyal to the death as you would expect from such a noble breed. Dog's live such a short life compared to us unworthy humans, making their loss that much heavier to bear, atleast for me anyway.
Old 14 August 2011, 19:48
Authorized Personnel

Charlie was conceived during a hurricane with the same name.

I'm almost embarrassed to include her in the mix with all the other "real" dogs.

Havanese are suppose to be hypoallergenic and non-shedding.

Charlie is on the right and the other two are next door neighbors mini-greyhounds.

015.jpg
Old 14 August 2011, 20:04
Semper Fi

Quote:
Your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Your post.
I agree with both of you. I should have clarified, I plan on adopting a rescued dog from a foster family. I have had a few friends with small children, go pick up an older dog from a pound with great success. I won't be following those footsteps.
The dogs I plan on adopting have gone through "rehab", been basically trained, crate trained, house broken, and socialized with other dogs and children. The pooch I am looking at the closest right now is a Beagle/GSD mix. I know it's tough to find a specific breed when looking to adopt, but I would still like input on breed types that are good for households like I have. Thanks again.

"I wish you could see, what I can see... Sometimes, you have to be up really high... To understand how small you are. I'm coming home now." Felix Baumgartner

Last edited by Brownsurccapt; 14 August 2011 at 20:07. Reason: Typo

Our new posting rules