SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 August 2011, 20:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Charlie was conceived ......

Attachment 16935
Took me a minute, at first I only saw 2 dogs and 3 plush-toys. Good camouflage.

My grandmother had one, sweet pup too!
Old 15 August 2011, 01:12
Confirmed User

The dog I'm getting when I get back from this deployment. They come tan, black or brindle, I prefer brindle

Presa Canario - reaches around 148 pounds.
Old 15 August 2011, 01:17
Administrator

I have two male mastiffs. One is ~160 and the other is a whopping ~215. You have to see the big one to belive it. He's a horse. I'll post a picture soon.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 15 August 2011, 02:14
Authorized Personnel

I own a pair of male Chihuahuas :)
Old 15 August 2011, 02:56
Confirmed User

I'm in the market for a dog now. Our Malamute died a couple of years ago, and the kids are really wanting one. I see the Rhodesians on here -- I like the look and the feedback. One question -- how are they with shedding? The Malamute was unbelieveably bad -- not a bg deal when I was a single slob, but I'm looking for something that sheds none to little now. I don't really like the poodle or curly haired types, and am looking for a good fit.
Old 15 August 2011, 06:36
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
As smart as some dogs actually are, I give them too much credit. I think that dogs that are rescued understand their dire situation and are grateful for being rescued and becoming a part of the family.
This has actually been my experience, as well, and it is also my conviction.

Those dogs smell precisely what is happening around them, and they know that they are on Death Row.

My first rescue dog was a Black Lab that was unfortunately named "Princess," and she knew it. Best dog ever. She was my inseparable companion for years, until she developed cancer. We fought it. One day she told me that she was ready to go. I remain inconsolable. I never had a better friend.

The next was a Lab Mongrel named Bear. He was found traumatized, tied to a tree next to a major road. Slime ball owners just left him there. It took him a few months to snap out of it, he was terrorized, but the last time that I saw him (ex-wife took him, along with everything else), he had adapted nicely and was an integral part of his new family, including two young children.

I will get a rescue dog again, when the opportunity presents itself.

Let's see if this photo attaches....

This is Poppy. He is a Thai farm dog. I tried to make him a Bangkok house dog, but that was a bad, bad idea. He is perhaps half-feral, and he challenged me for supremacy too many times, biting the fuck out of me.

When he was young, less than a year old, he was lovely and fun. When he hit one year old...even though he had no balls, he wanted to be the Man of the House. He sure did love his Mommy. That was the problem.

We sent him up-country to live on the farm with all of the other family dogs with grandpa. He is doing fine, though his diet is not as delicious as it used to be. He waits for Momma to come home to visit. He sticks to her like glue the moment that she gets out of the van.

The thing that Poppy does best is protect his "things," which at this point consist of a ball and a rug. All of his other stuff stayed here in town. He bites anybody, canine or human, who gets too close to them. You cannot even throw the ball for him to play catch. If you go to grab it, he assumes that you are trying to steal it, and it is on. He will attack. Nobody transgresses on his rug. Nobody.

He also protects the house, and grandpa told me that he foiled an attempt by thieves to steal his cow. The cow and Poppy are friends now. They keep each other company.

I still miss him.

Last edited by magician; 15 August 2011 at 07:00.
Old 15 August 2011, 06:57
Whatever Sucks the Most

This is Bruno, a hulking Tom. He used to dominate all of the other cats in the neighborhood, he was known as mao nakleng, or "mafia cat," by everybody. He used to face down dogs.

Here, he is showing me a gingo, a small house lizard, demonstrating that it is not dead, and that it can still move. The poor bastard, (I mean the lizard), knew that he was done for. He tried to play dead, but that just precipitated the inevitable. Bruno ate him, even though he was not hungry. I suppose that it was the principle of the thing.

Bruno went out one night a few years ago to tussle with a rival in the neighborhood named Garfield. Bruno and I used to team up on Garfield sometimes. It was pretty fun. Total cat caterwauling in the middle of the night. So I would have to go out and break them up so that the rest of the neighborhood could get some sleep. The minute that Garfield saw me coming he would haul ass, because he knew that I was on Bruno's side. Bruno would give chase, then we would go in together to drink some milk, maybe eat some tuna. Being a bad ass is hungry work.

Well, this night, I did not hear anything, so I just assumed that Bruno was hunting. He was. But he got hunted himself. An anaconda that lives in a patch of jungle behind my house got him. I am still, years later, keeping an eye out for that goddamned snake. I will make him into a pair of boots.

Bruno was my first best friend here in Bangkok. He was a bruiser, but we were good buds.

I miss him really badly.

Last edited by magician; 15 August 2011 at 07:02.
Old 15 August 2011, 07:33
Confirmed User

My border collie, Arlo. Super smart, loyal, funny as hell. And totally batsh*t crazy. He chewed into a power cord when he was a pup. Ain't been right in the head since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arlo1.jpg (28.9 KB, 753 views)
Old 15 August 2011, 11:36
Been There Done That

These are of my boys Ace and Deuce. Ace is an 8yo Rottie and Deuce is a 10mo Mastif/Boxer mix. Both are rescues and are probably the best things that have happened to our family. Deuce comes to work with me and runs the horses like it is his job, something he takes very seriously. Ace is running about 130# and Deuce is already above 80# with more to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deuce and Ace.jpg (32.7 KB, 728 views)
File Type: jpg Deuce and Munchy.jpg (31.5 KB, 727 views)
File Type: jpg Deuce and Boomerang.jpg (58.7 KB, 726 views)
Old 15 August 2011, 12:14
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
My 7-month old English Springer Spaniel, Sophie. I have another that is about 10.
Kip, I've never seen a Springer that WHITE... wow.
Old 15 August 2011, 12:28
Authorized Personnel

[edited for poor SA]

Magician, Bruno looks like he was an awesome cat... I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 15 August 2011, 12:34
Sandbox Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Bobcat View Post
Town dogs ..

Farm dogs ..

Ranch dogs ..

I see some Rhodesian in a few of those farm dogs
Old 15 August 2011, 13:13
Confirmed User

Yes you do .. all of'em are .. and the one on the left up top .. ;>}

Last edited by JD Bobcat; 15 August 2011 at 13:16.
Old 15 August 2011, 14:28
Sandbox Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
As smart as some dogs actually are, I give them too much credit. I think that dogs that are rescued understand their dire situation and are grateful for being rescued and becoming a part of the family.
My wife and I volunteer often at the shelters and we do have a recue Rhodesian/Pitbull mix she has been great. My personal experiance has been allowing the recue to spend some one on one time for a day or two e.g. taking long walks and just sitting down with the animal and gaining it's trust.

I agree you can't be to sure when you put kids in the mix. But I do beleive that animals have a internal sense of who feels right and who feels wrong. however, some kids can over stimulate a dog especially one who may be shy or nervous.

I would say just take you time a never get an animal the first time you see it. ask if you can take it for a walk...feed it (an animal who defends it's food can be of concern). Put a hold on the animal if you're seriously considering it. Most helpers at the shelters are well intentioned but some feel their role is to always try to find the animal a home at any cost.
Animals in the shelter face so much stress enviornment, other dogs barking can make some nervous, irritalbe, hyper or depressed. If you pick one I say take it home and let it be a dog for a few days. I wouldn't put too many demands on it right away.
BTW...I am quite partial to Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Good luck in your search.
Old 15 August 2011, 14:39
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
This has actually been my experience, as well, and it is also my conviction.

Those dogs smell precisely what is happening around them, and they know that they are on Death Row.
I was just getting on to post this. I'm convinced of this as well.
Old 15 August 2011, 14:59
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshadow View Post
I would say just take you time a never get an animal the first time you see it. ask if you can take it for a walk...feed it (an animal who defends it's food can be of concern).
When we got our pup our breeder recommended picking the food bowl up periodically when the pup was eating. She also recommended we tug on his ears and slightly jerk his tail while he ate. We did just that with the idea of getting the dog accustomed to a toddler being around.
Old 15 August 2011, 16:38
CEO, Peanut Gallery

Micah as a pup. The following fall after we got him, I took him elk/deer hunting with me. Went to the kennel to pick him up and brought him back. While I was butchering a muley buck, I would toss him random chunks of meat. He ate the first few quickly. Then I noticed he would take them around the corner...and come back for more after a minute or so. He was burying the extra meat in the snow. I guess he figured he would come back for more later.

Like all dogs, he loved to mark his territory. I would watch him pee on the tree in his pen, then I would piss on the trunk just a little higher.

Micah died this past fall in his sleep.

Last edited by Dozer; 15 August 2011 at 16:43.
Old 15 August 2011, 17:34
carry on smartly

the dogs

White dog: 5 yo Red Heeler. cow eater. named Cotton
Brown dog: 10 yo lab. duck eater. named Tootsie
Tan dog: 11 yo 1/2 Great Dane, 1/2 St Bernard. Been with me longer than the wife. Loves to look in your car door window when you pull in the driveway. 110 lb. lapdog. Named Tater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62957_1400380054365_1378224688_30882795_2741687_n.jpg (25.5 KB, 641 views)
Old 15 August 2011, 17:37
Migratory Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTAC918 View Post
110 lb. lapdog. Named Tater
This just made me LMAO.
Old 15 August 2011, 18:08
Confirmed User

Our Boxer Ranger. My kids picked his name because they are both huge NY Ranger fans and not after the Regiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (14.2 KB, 631 views)

Our new posting rules