SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 October 2012, 00:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
This thread went from discussing a train wreck experiment, to its very own train wreck.
Sorry guys. I agree with the very well written article the Captain wrote. She makes a valid point on all fronts.

I wholeheartly agree with everything she has written. And hope she does get promoted. I am assuming that more than likey they will medically discharge her.

Our bodies are just not made to meet the physical requirements needed in my opinion.

Here is an example. How effective could a female be if she had to be MEDVACED out of a area because of a ruptured ovarian cyst? Lets not forget that in theory a woman could get pregnant right before she deploys. But if that pregancy was etopic which will not show up on a pregnancy test and several months went by in the field it could kill her.

Our health issues and our mental state is much different than a males. Including all the other issues that could arise. Sexual Harrassment, MST. I think by intergrating women into these units it would effect the discpline and moral of most males.

Do not get me wrong I will state this again I think women have a place in the military just not with Combat units.

Do not take me for a wimp because when it comes to protecting my children or family I would not hesitate to use deadly force.
Old 18 October 2012, 07:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
How in the hell did this thread go from women in the Infantry to stories of relationshits, sex as a weapon and sexbots?
"Screws fall out all the time; the world's an imperfect place."
Old 18 October 2012, 08:36
Been There Done That

Exclamation Fair Warning

OK, let's get back on subject or I will close the thread.

I don't think we need another discussion about the different views of sex by men and women.
Old 18 October 2012, 09:32
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GourmetMarine
Our bodies are just not made to meet the physical requirements needed in my opinion.

Here is an example. How effective could a female be if she had to be MEDVACED out of a area because of a ruptured ovarian cyst? Lets not forget that in theory a woman could get pregnant right before she deploys. But if that pregancy was etopic which will not show up on a pregnancy test and several months went by in the field it could kill her.
I'm as staunch an opponent of chicks being assigned to combat arms units (especially infantry) as anyone. But the above example isn't a good one. It involves the possibility of an illness -- which in the end, so what? Guys get sick, too. A ruptured ovarian cyst? How about a appendicitis? Or maybe gallstones? Anyway -- chicks' bodies are set up to compete effectively in combat arms gigs, but illness isn't something I tend to think of when considering why....
Old 18 October 2012, 10:23
Cyber Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
..... Anyway -- chicks' bodies are set up to compete effectively in combat arms gigs, but illness isn't something I tend to think of when considering why....
Aren't?

Rudyard Kipling

I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.
Old 18 October 2012, 10:32
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
OK, let's get back on subject or I will close the thread.

I don't think we need another discussion about the different views of sex by men and women.
I have a major correction to make, but if I go back and make it in my former post, I'm thinking I'm still within your directives.

ETA: Oops, it won't let me do an ETA. C'est la vie.
Old 18 October 2012, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbreeze View Post
Aren't?
Correct, "aren't", my bad on the previous spelling error....
Old 18 October 2012, 19:04
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
How in the hell did this thread go from women in the Infantry to stories of relationshits, sex as a weapon and sexbots?

Well...I think Socnet has a LONG history of massive thread derails...I mean...North Hollywood Firefight Thread, anyone?

While true:
Continue
Old 18 October 2012, 22:09
Newbie shooter

I'm waiting for some of our IDF friends to chime in here. Don't they have women in their infantry units? I'd be interested to hear how they have handled it.

If I remember correctly they still don't have women in their tier 1 units.

I believe hygiene issues would be a problem for women in the field. SOTB mentioned the issue of dogs seeking out women who are flowing...

Honestly though, why can't we just agree that men and women are good at different things and instead of trying to force a round peg into a square hole we should play to the strengths of both genders?

- Local
Old 18 October 2012, 22:14
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
I'm waiting for some of our IDF friends to chime in here. Don't they have women in their infantry units? I'd be interested to hear how they have handled it.

I believe hygiene issues would be a problem for women in the field. SOTB mentioned the issue of dogs seeking out women who are flowing...

Honestly though, why can't we just agree that men and women are good at different things and instead of trying to force a round peg into a square hole we should play to the strengths of both genders?

- Local

My take on that...their "infantry," units are not expeditionary. They don't have to patrol for days on end looking for contact with the enemy...they fight a war within their own borders. They only have to 'patrol,' a few miles to find the enemy. I don't think their women would do so well under more common Infantry conditions.

While true:
Continue
Old 18 October 2012, 22:15
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
I'm as staunch an opponent of chicks being assigned to combat arms units (especially infantry) as anyone. But the above example isn't a good one. It involves the possibility of an illness -- which in the end, so what? Guys get sick, too. A ruptured ovarian cyst? How about a appendicitis? Or maybe gallstones? Anyway -- chicks' bodies are set up to compete effectively in combat arms gigs, but illness isn't something I tend to think of when considering why....
Agreed...not a deciding factor.
Old 29 October 2012, 17:14
Confirmed User

I think the strongest lesson learned in this whole debacle is that even the best and most physically prepared women still cannot compete with your average male in areas of physical strength and endurance.

The most compelling point is the fact you HAVE TO KNOW the Marine Corps screened and sent the most physically capable women they had to the course so they would not catch political flack for appearing to have sandbag'd the possibility of women in the infantry. Its my understanding that many males also find themselves quitting and that is being to used to justify these two women quitting as par for the course. Not so, as they were most likely two of the best female officers the Marine Corps has to offer. So what are the chances that your average Marine Corps female will be successful?
Old 29 October 2012, 22:19
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

When talking to a member of the recently disbanded Canadian Parachute Regiment back in the mid 90's, he informed me that the Canadian Forces had done their own version of this where some whiskeys were sent to Infantry school. Most DOR'ed, only one passed. When they offered her a choice of Infantry units to be assigned to she informed them that among other things she had learned in Infantry school was that she didn't want to be in an Infantry unit......

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 29 October 2012, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert
When they offered her a choice of Infantry units to be assigned to she informed them that among other things she had learned in Infantry school was that she didn't want to be in an Infantry unit......
LOL. I'm a guy and I came to the same conclusion....
Old 30 October 2012, 01:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
LOL. I'm a guy and I came to the same conclusion....
Took the words out of my mouth!
Old 30 October 2012, 09:25
Confirmed User

As Grunts we all must be a bit Bi polar because we piss, moan and complain the whole time in the field and when we get back to the rear talk shit about how if "you ain't a Grunt you ain't shit!" and call everyone else Poeg's (sp?) But I wouldn't have had it any other way!
Old 30 October 2012, 09:49
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
"Screws fall out all the time; the world's an imperfect place."
"You're not fooling anyone, 0699. The next screw that falls out will be you?
Old 30 October 2012, 09:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post

What makes you think we don't have females in any of our Tier 1 units?

Old 30 October 2012, 13:56
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
What makes you think we don't have females in any of our Tier 1 units?

I know for a fact that we Aussies do!

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

Last edited by Old_Starlight; 30 October 2012 at 13:57. Reason: Incomplete sentence.
Old 2 November 2012, 13:44
Old Scroll

1st Two Females Fail USMC Infantry Course

+ + + Don't post any content or links from any Gannet Publications such as Marine Times + + +

Two 2nd Lieutenant females, members of the 1st class of the Infantry Officer's course to allow them to attend, failed to complete. One dropped for unspecified medical reasons, but she's reportedly in good shape, and the other failed to complete a combat endurance test.

So we'll see how the experiment goes in the future.

Our new posting rules