SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 June 2014, 08:13
Make a desert and call it peace.

Because Cantor still holds office until the next election and swearing in of the new Congressman; he's currently a lame duck and has no reason not to try and ram it through. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 12 June 2014, 08:28
Broke D***

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
With the following exceptions for the documented immigrants: children under 18, some people over 60, people with disabilities, refugees, and asylees. In addition, LPRs with some work history and/or military service may be eligible for SNAP prior to their 5 year mark.

So yeah, all our friends from south of the border who claim asylum are SNAP-eligible.
As far as I can tell, the children would be eligible if they are U.S. citizens through birth as provided by the 14th Amendment. I haven't seen anything from a reputable source that shows that illegal aliens can receive benefits otherwise. But if they are in the country legally with the intent to naturalize, why shouldn't they be afforded the same rights and access to programs?

And in 2011, only 190 migrants from Mexico were granted asylum.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...om-mexico.html
Old 12 June 2014, 08:34
Confirmed User

I worked various construction jobs about ten years ago, during high school summers, between college semesters, and for a year or two after college. It was incredibly easy to get a job with someone, even doing the grunt work for an okay paycheck.

Good luck with that now. I'm hard-pressed to find a white guy on a landscaping crew, and if there is one, he's usually the foreman.

My brother owns a roofing company. He literally HAS to sub work out to the Guatemalans here because everyone else is bidding so low on jobs he would lose money on otherwise.

Yeah sure, our country was founded on immigration, but is there no limit?? I say cut our losses, deport any illegals caught here, and bar immigration. I'm sick of these fucks coming here, stealing whatever jobs that haven't been shipped to china (manufacturing/production) and not even learning the damn language before coming here.
Old 12 June 2014, 08:43
Broke D***

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD864 View Post
I worked various construction jobs about ten years ago, during high school summers, between college semesters, and for a year or two after college. It was incredibly easy to get a job with someone, even doing the grunt work for an okay paycheck.

Good luck with that now. I'm hard-pressed to find a white guy on a landscaping crew, and if there is one, he's usually the foreman.

My brother owns a roofing company. He literally HAS to sub work out to the Guatemalans here because everyone else is bidding so low on jobs he would lose money on otherwise.

Yeah sure, our country was founded on immigration, but is there no limit?? I say cut our losses, deport any illegals caught here, and bar immigration. I'm sick of these fucks coming here, stealing whatever jobs that haven't been shipped to china (manufacturing/production) and not even learning the damn language before coming here.
So here's a question: What's stopping your brother from paying a group of Americans under the table while remaining competitive?
Old 12 June 2014, 09:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravodelta View Post
So here's a question: What's stopping your brother from paying a group of Americans under the table while remaining competitive?
According to him, it's so cutthroat right now that jobs are getting bid on for wages so low, only the illegals will take the subbed out jobs. I never asked him what they were making exactly.

He employs two Americans, who work directly with him on window and door jobs when they're not doing roofs. All three know what they're doing, but whoever he has to sub work out to, mostly roofs and to illegals, he has to repair their dogshit work.

All I'm saying is it has to stop somewhere. Maybe we're in the wrong area, the suburbs of Philadelphia. Maybe it's better for those in the construction field away from cities in the Midwest, I'm not sure.

I strongly feel it will ruin this country if it's allowed to continue at the rate it's currently at. And this is just construction, let alone manufacturing/production jobs that are sent overseas. That I blame on corporate greed.
Old 12 June 2014, 09:18
Broke D***

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD864 View Post
According to him, it's so cutthroat right now that jobs are getting bid on for wages so low, only the illegals will take the subbed out jobs. I never asked him what they were making exactly.

He employs two Americans, who work directly with him on window and door jobs when they're not doing roofs. All three know what they're doing, but whoever he has to sub work out to, mostly roofs and to illegals, he has to repair their dogshit work.

All I'm saying is it has to stop somewhere. Maybe we're in the wrong area, the suburbs of Philadelphia. Maybe it's better for those in the construction field away from cities in the Midwest, I'm not sure.

I strongly feel it will ruin this country if it's allowed to continue at the rate it's currently at. And this is just construction, let alone manufacturing/production jobs that are sent overseas. That I blame on corporate greed.
The sad reality is that this country is dependent on cheap labor. Since slavery is abolished and the sharecropper system has died, what other option is there left? The government has embraced migrant labor through several programs, including the Bracero program that coincided with WWII.

I can almost guarantee you that if there were a group of American citizens hanging out at home depot at 6 AM in the morning waiting for work, there would be no incentive to hire illegal day laborers over them. With as many people that I've seen hanging out at stop lights with a sign asking for help or a job, I'm surprised that I haven't seen this yet.

I do agree with you that corporate greed is a very strong influence in all of this. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more manufacturing and service jobs brought back to the U.S., but that is something for the CEOs and stockholders to fight about.
Old 12 June 2014, 09:34
Morte et une dame

I thought that I read that he's, subsequently, resigned his position.
That was pretty early this AM; anyone else hear that?

Never mind; Yes, I did read that.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0EM1QE20140612
Old 12 June 2014, 09:51
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
The sad reality is that this country is dependent on cheap labor. Since slavery is abolished and the sharecropper system has died, what other option is there left? The government has embraced migrant labor through several programs, including the Bracero program that coincided with WWII.

I can almost guarantee you that if there were a group of American citizens hanging out at home depot at 6 AM in the morning waiting for work, there would be no incentive to hire illegal day laborers over them. With as many people that I've seen hanging out at stop lights with a sign asking for help or a job, I'm surprised that I haven't seen this yet.

I do agree with you that corporate greed is a very strong influence in all of this. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more manufacturing and service jobs brought back to the U.S., but that is something for the CEOs and stockholders to fight about.
This country? No, maybe some sectors of industry, mainly construction and farming. The traditional solution to expensive labor has always been technical innovation. So basically, by having cheap illegals, we're stifling technical innovation. Great trade huh? Fewer tech jobs for innovators and entrepreneurs so we can have illegals and all the social/legal/medical problems they bring. With fewer tech jobs, maybe there's no reason to import all these Indians under H1B visas, huh? Oh wait, they're just here for the drudge code monkey jobs, the Mexicans of tech. It's simply wage busting because they can get away with it.

Quote:
I can almost guarantee you that if there were a group of American citizens hanging out at home depot at 6 AM in the morning waiting for work, there would be no incentive to hire illegal day laborers over them.
Let's turn this around, if there weren't illegals hanging about at 6AM, there would be work for those Americans. There's two sides to the free market here; supply and demand. If you demand something that's in low supply, in this case the willingness to do hard work under shitty conditions, you will have to pay more to get it done. Here's the thing, this is all about the employers not wanting to pay more. IOW, it's treacherous manipulation of the system; lawyer ball, private profits/public expenses, whatever you care to call it.

If you want cheap foreign labor, move your business overseas and deal with all the overseas problems. Like urban chaos, like no IP rights, like getting kidnapped and murdered for ransom. I find it a basic part of the social contract that if you want to take advantage of a nation's legal, social and business framework, which is a direct result of that countries population, it's your duty to employ that population, not import some new population you can use for glorified slave labor. And that's the plain truth of it; unscrupulous employers love the compelling power they have over illegals and H1B visa labor.

This is the basic thing that got Cantor tossed IMO. And hopefully more of these treacherous Chamber of Commerce betrayers of the American public. There's no shortage of money to pay for American labor; the concentration of wealth among people like Facefuck Zuckerburg and the rest of the squids is dangerous to the republic. Guys like Thomas Jefferson specifically wrote American law to avoid the generational concentration of wealth and property; things like banning primogeniture, for example. That creates aristocracy, and aristocrats invariably spend their (massively surplus) time and money in political machinations. Like we see today. And not incidentally, concentration of wealth is bad for the economy, since such wealth is fairly stagnant. The middle class spends it's wealth for things, which results in a high velocity of money and a dynamic economy. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 12 June 2014, 18:17
Been There Done That

You ever get the feeling this nation is about to explode?
Old 12 June 2014, 18:27
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtexan View Post

Yep.

The fuse is burning...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 12 June 2014, 18:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
The sad reality is that this country is dependent on cheap labor. Since slavery is abolished and the sharecropper system has died, what other option is there left?
chicken vs egg

Perspective changes considerably when we stop thinking in terms of dollars, or any other currency, and start thinking in terms of labor itself as currency - labor traded for labor.

The labor barter doesn't simply disappear when the laborers and industries change.
It's a question of which labor traded for which labor is most beneficial to the most Americans. That will, of course, be American labor traded for American labor, regardless of industry/trade/product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtexan View Post
Increasingly so every day.
Reading shit from these dudes isn't helping.
Old 12 June 2014, 18:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by assertnull View Post
chicken vs egg

Perspective changes considerably when we stop thinking in terms of dollars, or any other currency, and start thinking in terms of labor itself as currency - labor traded for labor.

The labor barter doesn't simply disappear when the laborers and industries change.
It's a question of which labor traded for which labor is most beneficial to the most Americans. That will, of course, be American labor traded for American labor, regardless of industry/trade/product.

Increasingly so every day.
Reading shit from these dudes isn't helping.
Zero Hedge is on it. Love that site.
Old 12 June 2014, 19:22
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Umm...it's illegal? Jesus, is that what this has come to? American businesses have to do illegal shit in order to stay in business? Are we really going down that road here?

And if you do not believe illegals get freebies then you have your head in the sand.

To me one of the really bad fallouts to these generations of illegals is that our own citizens do not want to do hard work. Then our laws prevent so many things that we have now got to the point that asking our kids cut the grass is damn near cruelty. God forbid we have them work at the fruit farms in the summer for min-wage! But why not? Because then we put an illegal criminal out of work...that is the true reason.

This flood of illegals is an invasion that is being encouraged by POTUS/VPOTUS.
Old 12 June 2014, 20:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the children would be eligible if they are U.S. citizens through birth as provided by the 14th Amendment. I haven't seen anything from a reputable source that shows that illegal aliens can receive benefits otherwise. But if they are in the country legally with the intent to naturalize, why shouldn't they be afforded the same rights and access to programs?

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...om-mexico.html
Congress could define the 14th A to disallow illegal aliens and their spawn from citizenship, but not one of them has the nuts to bring it up.
Old 12 June 2014, 21:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
This flood of illegals is an invasion that is being encouraged by POTUS/VPOTUS.
and the Chamber of Commerce. And Silicon Valley. And congressmen whose portfolios depend on these companies' bottom lines. And the entire system of governance that seeks to import the foreign poor and give them rights, keep the domestic poor from being self-sustaining, import foreign middle class whose survival depends on the H1B programme, push the domestic middle class down to the poor class - ultimately creating an unbreakable electoral monopoly of people dependent on government for survival. See also: this second quote from Wilson. The end game is a neo-feudal system comprised of the elites, and the soylent green.

Very, very few, have clean hands in this. It goes back to the usual - any political change that transpires can be linked back to a political favor to the corporate. The essence of fascism, the merger of the corporate with the State. Follow the money.

Worse? An overwhelming majority have accepted as canon principles of fascism, without even knowing they're principles of fascism. Shit that would have been unthinkable 100 years ago. Might as well retire the blue pill, nobody has any interest in ending this incestuous relationship.
Old 12 June 2014, 21:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
and the Chamber of Commerce. And Silicon Valley. And congressmen whose portfolios depend on these companies' bottom lines. And the entire system of governance that seeks to import the foreign poor and give them rights, keep the domestic poor from being self-sustaining, import foreign middle class whose survival depends on the H1B programme, push the domestic middle class down to the poor class - ultimately creating an unbreakable electoral monopoly of people dependent on government for survival. See also: this second quote from Wilson. The end game is a neo-feudal system comprised of the elites, and the soylent green.

Very, very few, have clean hands in this. It goes back to the usual - any political change that transpires can be linked back to a political favor to the corporate. The essence of fascism, the merger of the corporate with the State. Follow the money.

Worse? An overwhelming majority have accepted as canon principles of fascism, without even knowing they're principles of fascism. Shit that would have been unthinkable 100 years ago. Might as well retire the blue pill, nobody has any interest in ending this incestuous relationship.
I don't know what elixir you took but I would love to slip it into the wife's pinot whatever. I would drink it too because you put into words I cannot.

There is no reason for the United States to import more people into the country other than to drive down wages. Some may say that we are better when we're more diverse. I say bullshit.

The Chamber and their ilk don't give a shit about the thousands of kids that are getting dumped into our country recently. That's cheap labor. Bottom line. Meanwhile we have some absurd number of 47 million people on food assistance. Yeah. We just can't find enough people to work. Suck my dick, motherfuckers.
Old 12 June 2014, 23:48
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Your post.
Fucking eloquent post! +10

There are two kinds of people in this world,
the smart and lazy, and the stupid and industrious. Be wary of the stupid and industrious, they will fuck something up every time.
Old 13 June 2014, 11:25
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the children would be eligible if they are U.S. citizens through birth as provided by the 14th Amendment.
We were discussing the five year waiting period for the legal immigrants to become eligible for SNAP. The children of such legal immigrants do not have to wait five years to be eligible to enroll in the program - it has nothing to do with their citizenship.

Quote:
Couple of points:

That was before the recent asylum applications surge. According to the DOJ stats, there are over 3,000 asylum petitions pending from Mexican citizens in FY2013. Not to mention some other nationalities, who cross our border illegally to apply for asylum.

Another point: asylees who are waiting for the decision on their status adjustment may apply for authorization to work. Further, they may apply for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (food stamps including) while they are waiting on their work authorization.

Don't get me wrong, I am not stating that this is an epidemic, but even for each of these 190 asylees I can find one eligible Veteran, for example who could use additional assistance from the government... like timely access to healthcare.
Old 13 June 2014, 23:54
Confirmed User

That "anchor baby" shit has to go too. What kind of stupid law is that? "Well, you got here illegally and had a baby. Guess the joke's on us and you get to stay." They literally reward them for doing something illegal. Whoever created that law is either incompetent or corrupt.
Old 14 June 2014, 00:07
Preparing to defend

Politician.

Saves on talking and says it all in one word.

Our new posting rules