SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 6 March 2018, 05:26

To those on the field, you guys know what happens in real life and have seen the results of war, in its worst

On airing this to the general public, including their friends and family. Their propaganda can air this but do western sites need to show it...

RIP to very brave men.
Old 6 March 2018, 07:24
Confirmed User

I watched the video. I wish I didn't. As a support type, it made me realize that what a lot of you folks do is far, far worse than I ever imagined. I'll be working a hell of a lot harder to be a more valuable part of my team.
Old 6 March 2018, 07:31
Supporterator

Makes me very angry that scumbags will post this video on their 'news' sites.
Old 6 March 2018, 11:15
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post

I'm not sure if any of you watched the last episode of "Chain of Command" on NatGeo, but it was filmed with them and their unit right before this incident occurred. It was a sad episode...to say the least...
I watched the whole series but that last episode was very haunting, very moving indeed.

Rest in peace, Warriors...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 6 March 2018, 11:28
Conquer Life.

Won't watch it.

Disgusted that people feel the need to share the last moments of these soldiers, especially without the consent of their families.

I understand there is a natural curiosity... but I find it tasteless and disrespectful that people find the need to witness the last moments of these brave men in order to quench some personal curiosity.

RIP.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 6 March 2018, 11:30
Confirmed User

I didnt watch it. I am not a person of combat, just a Submariner retired, and out of respect I wouldnt want to watch a person die. It is just wrong.
Old 6 March 2018, 11:53
Administrator

I highly discourage ANYONE from watching that video. To say it is disturbing is an understatement. Many of us on this site have seen plenty of horrific things in our lives. That is one you don't want in your memory, and it can't be unseen.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 6 March 2018, 13:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Won't watch it.

Disgusted that people feel the need to share the last moments of these soldiers, especially without the consent of their families.

I understand there is a natural curiosity... but I find it tasteless and disrespectful that people find the need to witness the last moments of these brave men in order to quench some personal curiosity.

RIP.
Could not have said it better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 March 2018, 13:44
Confirmed User

My Dad uses this quote. He was part of 25 Inf Vietnam.

"Dulce bellum inexpertis"

(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
-Erasmus
Old 6 March 2018, 14:34
Navigating

There are videos of horrific things out there you watch and learn shit from, that’s the base in which I started to watch it. So if that’s your thought process in watching it there’s zero to learn from it.
Old 6 March 2018, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
There are videos of horrific things out there you watch and learn shit from, thatís the base in which I started to watch it. So if thatís your thought process in watching it thereís zero to learn from it.
That statement answered a question I was pondering, thanks.
Old 6 March 2018, 15:44
Pirate and Rogue

WTF is wrong with people? As far as Im concerned the folks that "need" to watch this are on the same level as folks that set animals on fire and shoot dogs and video tape it and that kind of shit.

How terrible for the family members and dear friends to have to deal with this bullshit. Ive said it for years, the media are a bunch of fucking vultures that feed on people's agony.

RIP to the incredible soldiers that gave their lives.

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 6 March 2018, 19:43
Confirmed User

I've been watching videos like this since 2004 when they started coming out. I've never looked at it the same way as many of you and always from the SA point of view. I'm not in anymore but I want to get back in when my life allows it, so same motive for me. I would not have searched this video out however, I see them as they are presented to me on whatever platform. Now I'm curious as to why the other site decided to release this particular video because they had to know so many would be against it.
Old 6 March 2018, 21:58
Confirmed User

Sadly, morbid curiosity afflicts many who have never experienced the two way range.
Those who have been there probably don't need reminding.
Nor do the families of the deceased.
Old 7 March 2018, 11:30
Confirmed User

Yesterday I read the story and saw a screen shot, but didn’t see the video. Lots of churn over another veteran / SOF-based website’s decision to post the footage in its entirety, and the discussion spilled over to LinkedIn of all things…Sitting in my comfy air conditioned office, I thought back to some deeply stored memories from not so long ago of the sights, smells, and touch of the broken bodies of some men I knew; of trying to swallow a mouthful of hot water and choking. Those belong to me and the people around me- living and dead. I know a good majority of you have seen and done far more than me, but those are mine, and the thought of those images being on YouTube for people to watch disgusts me.

For people to think they have the right to ghoulishly view a first-person perspective of a Soldier’s own death in combat is nothing but shamefully presumptuous. Their death being watched by hordes of sheltered teenage fanboy jackoffs who think “Wut? It’s just like Call of Duty” robs honorable men of their last moments, and degrades the dignity of their sacrifice.
Old 7 March 2018, 11:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I highly discourage ANYONE from watching that video. To say it is disturbing is an understatement. Many of us on this site have seen plenty of horrific things in our lives. That is one you don't want in your memory, and it can't be unseen.
I'm in full agreement with those against airing/viewing this. It's disrespectful and there's nothing to be learned from it, literally 0....but I kind of think EVERY civilian who has not served should be forced to watch this, or something like it, once. Just once. Because I do believe it would change a lot of people perspectives on a lot of things. People have no clue what events in the news means: 'US send 150 advisors to shithole x', well, THIS is exactly what that can look like, THIS is what's going on while you're watching CNN in your plush pad while eating cereal in your boxers in the morning. Somewhere, some American is probably doing that. Ponder that for a second.
Old 7 March 2018, 12:27
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I'm in full agreement with those against airing/viewing this. It's disrespectful and there's nothing to be learned from it, literally 0....but I kind of think EVERY civilian who has not served should be forced to watch this, or something like it, once. Just once.
That is what the proprietors of the website currently making money from their posting of this video said, as well.

Do you know the difference between a reason and an excuse? I don't.
Old 7 March 2018, 12:34
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDawg_03 View Post
How terrible for the family members and dear friends to have to deal with this bullshit. Ive said it for years, the media are a bunch of fucking vultures that feed on people's agony.
I expect it from the media.

How the guys that run that other website look themselves in the mirror when they cash the checks, I have no idea.
Old 7 March 2018, 12:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I'm in full agreement with those against airing/viewing this. It's disrespectful and there's nothing to be learned from it, literally 0....but I kind of think EVERY civilian who has not served should be forced to watch this, or something like it, once. Just once. Because I do believe it would change a lot of people perspectives on a lot of things. People have no clue what events in the news means: 'US send 150 advisors to shithole x', well, THIS is exactly what that can look like, THIS is what's going on while you're watching CNN in your plush pad while eating cereal in your boxers in the morning. Somewhere, some American is probably doing that. Ponder that for a second.
I wouldn't want my family member's death being exploited as a learning tool for a populace that is too lazy to know where their Warriors are fighting battles. Wrong is wrong and there is no legitimate reason for the MSM to show that video.
Old 7 March 2018, 12:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
That is what the proprietors of the website currently making money from their posting of this video said, as well..
This.

JM had the audacity to claim that in publishing the video they'd most likely lose money. Are we to believe the page views and millions of eyes seeing their company logo in the video won't positively effect the bottom line?

I guess these guys are SME's on damn near everything and I'm just an ignorant peon.

No respect for anyone in that company. I will leave it at that since it is not my place to lob insults.

Our new posting rules