SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 January 2018, 08:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatMedic1981 View Post
Hopefully Philly. My district alone has plenty of abandoned factory space to build up. Would prob help my own houses value as well.
My bet is it will end up in the Navy Yard.
Old 19 January 2018, 09:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Amazon built a warehouse where I live probably 5 years ago. I've heard some horror stories. Their turnover rate is enormous.

LOL at Miami making the list. I don't see it happening. Barely any public transpo, housing/rental prices are already through the roof. My cousin was paying $1500/month with a roommate a year or so ago. She has since moved into her own place, but I dunno what she is paying for rent.

I bet Denver will get it.

Have you read the articles about those places? Basically indentured servitude. Mother Jones sent a reporter undercover there- its barbaric. (They use the term "Amalgamated Giant Shipping Worldwide instead of Amazon to avoid being destroyed by Bezos)

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor/

If I had to bet- the HQ goes in Herndon, VA. They just extended the metro out there. AWS has a huge presence in the IC and the .mil- it would be very useful to them to have access to them in perpituity,
19 Oct 2017
Old 19 January 2018, 09:51
Drawing my cutlass

Iím betting that one of items on the punch list is enough airspace and degraded environmental conditions to conduct R&D on drone delivery operations. Denverís wide open spaces to the east, high winds, cold and spring snows may fit that need.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 19 January 2018, 10:06
Been There Done That

I hope it is Atlanta, its part of the NASCAR circus. The traffic needs another racetrack around the town.
Inner city Atlanta has all of the problems of any large city with Dems in charge.
Corruption, congestion, and social awareness at a level that the South is getting used to, brought in from every part of the globe.
Amazon, and Apple fits right into this grid, and maybe the sports teams can figure out how to have a winning season!
Old 19 January 2018, 11:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Have you read the articles about those places? Basically indentured servitude. Mother Jones sent a reporter undercover there- its barbaric. (They use the term "Amalgamated Giant Shipping Worldwide instead of Amazon to avoid being destroyed by Bezos)

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor/

If I had to bet- the HQ goes in Herndon, VA. They just extended the metro out there. AWS has a huge presence in the IC and the .mil- it would be very useful to them to have access to them in perpituity,
What, you don't want Raleigh? Because there's no traffic and lots of infrastructure....
Old 19 January 2018, 11:17
Confirmed User

Amazon did a big hiring event here a couple months back, 50% of the applicants that they had selected for positions failed their drug tests.
Old 19 January 2018, 11:28
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
It would have to be out by the airport. I can't think of any areas they could build a second HQ on.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 19 January 2018, 11:56
Confirmed User

Amazon, google, facebook. They should all be broken up so there is more competition. Then more cities could have more head quarters. :)
Old 19 January 2018, 13:34

I've placed 3 of their "former" Managers that were Recruited out of the Military Veteran Hiring Programs into Logistics Management roles in my company. I've talked to at least 10 Exempt Level people there that will confirm all of the bad shit you've heard about them and then some.
Old 19 January 2018, 13:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
What, you don't want Raleigh? Because there's no traffic and lots of infrastructure....
I do want it to come here, merely because of the increase in value of my property which is centrally located in the city. When I finally sell this place in 15 years when I retire, they are going to tear it down to put up a million dollar house and I'll rake it in.

It would fuck us with traffic though- one of the things I dearly love about this city is that it has all the amenities of a large city- and rush hour traffic is a joke. Plus our airport is so, so great. Never any delays getting out or at security. Dulles on the other hand...yikes

I just think they will go with Herndon. If we had light rail to RTP, we'd be in like flynn but we don't.

Plus it would be a good landing spot if I had to leave my current job. I'm not leaving NC for anything- The more tech firms here the better
19 Oct 2017
Old 19 January 2018, 13:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
I do want it to come here, merely because of the increase in value of my property which is centrally located in the city. When I finally sell this place in 15 years when I retire, they are going to tear it down to put up a million dollar house and I'll rake it in.

It would fuck us with traffic though- one of the things I dearly love about this city is that it has all the amenities of a large city- and rush hour traffic is a joke. Plus our airport is so, so great. Never any delays getting out or at security. Dulles on the other hand...yikes

I just think they will go with Herndon. If we had light rail to RTP, we'd be in like flynn but we don't.

Plus it would be a good landing spot if I had to leave my current job. I'm not leaving NC for anything- The more tech firms here the better
Honestly I do not think the lack of public transpo is a negative. Amazon like others are developing self driving buses and other auto public transpo. Might actually help that there is not a large public transpo established so the market is wide open.
Old 19 January 2018, 14:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
Honestly I do not think the lack of public transpo is a negative. Amazon like others are developing self driving buses and other auto public transpo. Might actually help that there is not a large public transpo established so the market is wide open.
Except that shit is about 20 years away, and the first time one of them crashes and kills someone it's over for the next 20.
Old 19 January 2018, 14:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Except that shit is about 20 years away, and the first time one of them crashes and kills someone it's over for the next 20.
HA that is a good point!
Old 19 January 2018, 14:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Of the people I know working in tech autonomous vehicle space, they have never claimed to reduce accidental deaths to zero, they have only claimed they can reduce accidental deaths much lower than they currently are.

Itís more of an insurance issue than anything.

But yeah, lawyers will be craving class action lawsuit fees, and politicians will be looking for free media coverage.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 19 January 2018, 15:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatMedic1981 View Post
Hopefully Philly. My district alone has plenty of abandoned factory space to build up. Would prob help my own houses value as well.
6 months ago I was at Apple HQ(the old one) with a quick outside tour of the them uncompleted flying saucer new Apple HQ.

I asked to have a look at the closest residential homes(quite nice looking California ranch style homes, but all just normal average sized homes on small lots) and wrote down some addresses to chec on Zillow.

ďTo the Moon Alice.Ē Anyone who bought 3 of those homes 10-15years ago would have a nice retirement income stream or lump sum.

Iíd love to know how Amazon handles OPSEC on this, thereís a LOT of money to be made on the residential property side of things if you can hack it.

Old 19 January 2018, 15:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
Google runs a fleet of flash buses to transport all their well paid young staff that canít afford to live in Mountain View or close by.

The bus seats are like airplane domestic flight biz class, with a toilet onboard, free snacks, free fancy coffee, and of course high speed internet for productivity(the purpose of the fleet).

Property values around Google but pick up/drop off spots also effects property values.

Amazon does not have nearly the same level of perks that Google has. Google is off the charts in that regard.

Old 19 January 2018, 15:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Why do you say 20? I think it is much closer than you think.

As to who will get it.......

I have $50 bucks to the legal fund if one of my top 4 don't make it:

1. MA. (4 the Brains)
2. TN. (4 the overall business climate)
3. Austin, TX (4 the coolness factor and brain trust)
4. Dallas, TX (4 the overall business climate & airports)

Not enough info to call it outright. Step up and place your bets.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 19 January 2018, 16:55
Confirmed User

Quote:

I'd like to see it here, but I think an addition of 50K to the area could cause some services to bust at the seems if they come at once.

As for your property value, Amazon or no, I imagine your house will do pretty well in a few years...not too many homes depreciating in the Triangle.
Old 19 January 2018, 17:02

Yeah, property value's all well and good.......until you get the bill for your house that's literally remained exactly the same for 10 years suddenly increase by 500% because of some crap company moving in a few miles away.

Especially given the fact that states that have no income tax LOVE to have obscene property tax rates to make up for the shortfall, AKA Texas. Sure, there are property tax rate increase caps (3% or so max per year), but those quickly add up. And suddenly you have retired folks who cannot even afford to live in their own homes because the shit-ass govt keeps destroying our wealth in an ever increasing fashion ---- crying about 'deadbeats who cannot pay their taxes and how the government are the real victims' when it comes time to start confiscating property from innocent people. The govt cries out in pain as it strikes you.
Old 19 January 2018, 19:36
Drawing my cutlass

Bezos's paper ran some numbers and shared the output. According to the criteria the top four contenders are:
  • Boston
  • Dallas
  • Denver
  • Washington, DC

Link here.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 19 January 2018 at 19:41.

Our new posting rules