Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 February 2018, 08:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
News from another state about a possible foiled shooting. The kids perpetrating this are nothing more than immature kids employing terror as a temper tantrum (c-Sharky). LINK
Good on grandma calling it in.
Old 15 February 2018, 09:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Some dumbass senator it telling the news there are many dead. Seriously, STFU and let the families be notified feather than contributing to more panic.
That would be “Fire Marshall Bill”. Sometimes called Sen Nelson.

Ted, sorry to hear about your friend, May the fallen Rest In Peace and a speedy recovery to the wounded. Prayers to the family members and friends.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 15 February 2018, 09:26
Ungood

CNN was on at the gym this morning. What a terrible excuse for journalism. That Cuomo guy is really terrible as well as the beat reporters suggesting wholesale reforms to gun ownership.

It chaps my ass that they are not called to the floor.
Old 15 February 2018, 09:29
BTDT

God Bless your friend Aaron, who died protecting his charges.

Prayers out to the families and friends involved.

Aaron died a true hero!
Old 15 February 2018, 09:32
Been There Done That

Miami newspaper is reporting that this is another troubled youth prescribed mood altering drugs.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...200126034.html

While I don't believe any new gun laws will do anything but limit lawful gun ownership - we already have laws prohibiting those with mental illness from gun purchase/possession. I understand we need HIPPA, but we also need a way to limit possession when diagnosed with depression.....

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasack...Pw#.ubBVV21Nwn

...and it is reported that the FBI was warned....
Old 15 February 2018, 09:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Miami newspaper is reporting that this is another troubled youth prescribed mood altering drugs.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...200126034.html
This is fucking pathetic...if true...

Quote:
Cruz had his AR-15, but the family asked that gun remain locked up in a cabinet, Lewis said. On Wednesday morning, Cruz slept in and gave only a cryptic reason why.

“He said, ‘It’s Valentine’s Day and I don’t go to school on Valentine’s Day,’” Lewis said.

The family had no idea what was going to happen, Lewis said. “Nobody saw this coming,” Lewis said. “They’re shocked.”

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 15 February 2018 at 10:08.
Old 15 February 2018, 09:51
33,024 - R.I.P.

Ted, my condolences on the loss of your friend Aaron. A warriors spirit.

What's more infuriating than the shooting itself, is the media coverage, and the news outlets immediately interviewing the kids that are still in shock. I know that many of these kids are not 18yo, and do not have the consent of the parents to be interviewed by the reporters. Many of these trash reporters are talking to the kids before their parents even know if they are OK. No tact or respect, all in the name of "getting the scoop".
Old 15 February 2018, 10:10
Pirate and Rogue

Born and raised in Broward County. Many old friends there. So glad our kids (for the most part) are all out of school. Heard from one friend who has two daughters in high school that lives down there still ranting about loading up the horse trailer and running to the wilderness.

Ted Im so sorry about your friend Aaron. What a great man and hero. Let us know if we can do anything for his family.

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 15 February 2018, 10:21
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Megan Kelley this morning continuing the propaganda that somehow legislation and regulation will actually fix this problem... The cries of people running around like chicken little, telling everyone that the NRA is just too powerful, and politicians are balless... Oh if we could just pass more laws. That sure as hell will stop this stuff... No one tells the people about all the laws we already have, and have passed after stuff like this, that somehow don't stop anything. As if the laws we have against drugs are helping. As if all the laws we have against murder, assaults, property crimes are stopping people from committing these crimes.

Now the "news" media is continuously playing the recordings made inside the school, because we all know that will help things. Playing those recordings will stop this from happening again, right? But no, anyone who lives in reality and not in a protected bubble, knows how much laws prevent crime, right?

My condolences to all the victims and their families, and everyone effected by this. Also to all the family members who have to see and hear all this nonsense on the "news", over and over, who we all know has no agenda...

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 15 February 2018, 10:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Now the "news" media is continuously playing the recordings made inside the school, because we all know that will help things. Playing those recordings will stop this from happening again, right?
The media is playing the role of the tongue in this self licking ice cream in that by sensationalizing the event and playing the videos, they encourage the next disturbed teen who fantasizes about going out in a blaze of destruction.
Old 15 February 2018, 10:40
Life is simple, not easy.

I'm sorry for your loss Ted. I just read the news.

bravodelta: "If they start taxing lapdances, I think I'll call it quits and become a chaplain."
Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 15 February 2018, 10:46
Bitter old man.

Very sorry for your loss Ted.
Old 15 February 2018, 10:58
Cry havoc

The FBI knew, the community knew, the school knew, all the kids knew, shit he was in mental counseling. ..but this is a gun issue.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
The FBI knew, the community knew, the school knew, all the kids knew, shit he was in mental counseling. ..but this is a gun issue.
In these situations, everyone knows...the problem is that there is no one with enough backbone to do something about it before it gets to the point of them acting.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:01
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck_Bohica View Post
I totally agree. When I was a kid the thought of a kid shooting up a school would have been laughed at as impossible.
That is a common sentiment, but also a mistaken one. Mass murders have occurred for a long time, as have attacks at schools. Students have shot up schools from time to time in the US all throughout our history.

What has changed is the media and news cycle.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
That is a common sentiment, but also a mistaken one. Mass murders have occurred for a long time, as have attacks at schools. Students have shot up schools from time to time in the US all throughout our history.

What has changed is the media and news cycle.
You are right. The news media seems to be getting worse and worse. Objective reporting has gone the way of the Doddo. It really breaks my heart to see this type of thing happen and then be used as a platform to push an agenda.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:14
Confirmed User

My condolences, Ted. He did the best he could. LINK
Quote:
"Feis was seen jumping “in front of bullets to save some students' lives,” according to one person."

Feis, who also served as the school’s security guard, responded to a call on the school’s walkie-talkies to the loud pops in the school, May told the paper.

“I heard Aaron say, ‘No, that is not firecrackers.’ That’s the last I heard of him,” May told the Sun Sentinel.

The newspaper reported that May was in his football office with four players and coaches from Nichols College. May said he saw the shooter outside his office window trying to blend in with fleeing students.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:22
Confirmed User

The media has lost its mind. The coverage of this tragedy is disgraceful.

Whenever I hear more laws are needed to stop gun violence I think of how all the drug laws worked out in the war on drugs.

18 school shootings so far in 2018. That's not a gun problem but a societal one.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
What's more infuriating than the shooting itself, is the media coverage, and the news outlets immediately interviewing the kids that are still in shock. I know that many of these kids are not 18yo, and do not have the consent of the parents to be interviewed by the reporters. Many of these trash reporters are talking to the kids before their parents even know if they are OK. No tact or respect, all in the name of "getting the scoop".
Saw a screenshot last night of some girls post on twitter in which she very briefly stated that "ongoing shooting. An hidden in a closet".

One of the first reactions in the thread was a CNN reporter inquiring if she could ask her some questions. Doesn't et any lower than that.
I would fire people for even entertaining the idea of doing that. But it seems more to be the norm and encouraged.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:31
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Condolences Ted.

I composed this letter this morning (for all the good it will do) as a personal attempt to shape minds... feel free to copy or use it if you desire...

Quote:
Dear Mrs. Kelley,

I share in your grief and concern about the school shootings. I have a 13 year old daughter in school, and I worry about this every day. I can easily place myself in the shoes of any of those parents whose child is never coming home. It would destroy my soul. I am a military veteran, and retired State Trooper. I’ve seen many things throughout my life which I wish I could un-see, but can never do that. I have enforced laws for a large portion of my life, and one thing I can tell you is that, legislation does not modify human behavior. We cannot and will not solve this problem with more laws. Politicians, judges, courts, and cops cannot solve this problem. Just like all the laws we have now against crimes such as murder, rape, pedophilia, property crimes, and so on, have not in any way slowed or stopped the commission of these crimes. Even when faced with the penalty of death, people throughout history have still stolen horses, cattle, committed murder and so on, and so on… with a variety of weapons and methods.

During my life, I used a firearm many times to defend my life, and my country. I use firearms to hunt, and to defend myself and my family. I am not afraid of firearms, grew up with them, and carry one almost every day. Most of the time, no one but me knows that I am carrying a firearm. I see a firearm as a tool, nothing more. The firearm is not evil, has no ill intent, or has any responsibility for the actions of the user of it. I believe that we, as a society, have numerous problems that are causing this problem we are discussing. The first is the lack of personal responsibility in everything we do today. No one, from the President down is held personally responsible for their actions. Everyone plays the blame game, and it is always someone else’s fault for our bad behavior. I see it in the media too. It is not the fault of the person who committed these acts, it’s blamed on the guns, the politicians, the lack of school security, video games, social media, the parents or lack thereof of the shooter… everywhere except where it really belongs, squarely on the shoulders of the person who actually did this. The first step in solving this problem is to bring back personal responsibility in everything we do, from our acts, to the reporting of them by our media.

The next thing in our society that is causing these problems are the removal from our society of any sort of real discipline from parents and schools. We, as a society somehow believe that taking away something from a child is somehow punishment that will modify behavior. This may work in minor cases, but does nothing to modify thoughts and behaviors especially in cases of severe behavioral problems. So, we turn to chemicals. We prescribe mind altering drugs to children who’s minds are still developing. How horrible a thing to do to a child! …and we wonder why some of these kids kill themselves, or go on shooting sprees… How many of the kids that have done school shootings are or were on mind altering drugs? When I went to school, especially grade school, our teachers had wooden paddles on the walls. They knew how to use them. They usually had to use them once or twice a year, and never on the same student. We had no ADD, or ADHD, or behavioral issues. No one shot up our school, and we didn’t have armed police officers in our school. Once, about every six months, one student would act out, and be taken to the hall, and spanked. The issues were solved for another six months. Our high school had a shooting team, and we were taught firearms safety in school. Sometimes we hunted on our way to and way home from school. There were trucks in the parking lot that had gun racks in their windows and guns in them. So, why, when guns were so accessible to us as children, were school shooting not happening every day? Because we were personally responsible for our actions, and we were disciplined to know right from wrong. Our society thinks that “violence is never the answer” but I submit that sometimes it is the only answer. In my careers I have used violence as the answer, and teaching kids that all violence is bad or wrong denies our history and our humanity. It sends the wrong message to our children. Violence, especially when it is directed against our children in a school shooting incident, must be met with violence. Nothing else will stop the problem while it is going on.

Another problem in our society that adds to this is the lack of two parents in children’s homes. Also, the lack of parents that are home with the children, kids that come home to an empty house, and kids from single parent homes. We are creating a huge group of children that lack any parental guidance what so ever. Parents no longer take an active role in their kid’s education, and many believe that is the government’s job to educate their kids. Parents don’t teach their children firearm safety, or talk to them about interpersonal relationships. We have kids that live their entire social lives on the screen. They don’t know how to relate to other human beings. They also are not taught things like respect, for themselves, for others, for adults, for authorities. Many are taught the opposite, to always question, to always disobey, to fight the system… That is not how a productive society functions. That is not how a productive member of a society is created. I teach at a martial arts school, and I see many types of children there. Most are really good kids that are interested in learning, exhibit traits that will make them good productive members of society. There are those that are there, however, that are not there to learn the art, don’t want to be there, and whose parents are making them take the classes because they lack discipline and the parents cannot control them. These kids are disruptive, and very difficult to reach, as they are already mentally damaged from lack of the things I discussed earlier. We try to show them the way, but it is hard to do that in a one hour class, twice a week. Things like honor, morality, honesty, integrity, trust, belief, and responsibility, are not taught anymore by parents and cannot be taught by schools. These things should be taught to kids before they are in preschool. So, we are producing a crop of children who don’t know what any of those words mean, or how to be them. Are there exceptions? Sure, lots. But those are the victims, not the shooters. All those traits are things that are learned in a lifetime, from infancy to adulthood. Children are shaped by their educational experiences, and when you have no teaching containing those items above, the child won’t exhibit any of those traits in life.

What we have to realize as a society is that human beings have a proclivity for violence. Males and females are competitive and we propagate that with games like football, soccer, and wrestling. We don’t deny the human being by allowing kids to participate in those “sports” programs that can be quite violent. We also need to realize that there are those among us that are just plain crazy, and that there is no law or regulation or medication that will fix or catch all of them. We cannot solve this problem with new laws. We cannot solve this problem by blaming things that have nothing to do with the crazy, like the NRA, politicians, judges, courts, weapons, and so on. We need to stop the blame game. It helps no one, and only adds fuel to a fire that will only burn everyone except who it is meant to burn. We, as Americans, need to come to the collective realization that removing things from our society like discipline, personal responsibility, and caring and educating parents, only adds to the problems we are facing today. Will all this stop the shootings? No. Nothing will. No law, no medication, no locking crazy people up, no one thing, or all of those things will catch everyone who might do this. A very good start would be to try to fix the society problems first, and produce better, well balanced, non medicated, moral, and personally responsible children.

Truly

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"

Our new posting rules