SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 22 February 2018, 11:08
Old Scroll

Exclamation a Call to Action - the Article V Convention of States

This is probably one of the most important issues of our time, despite what the media might have you believe. Please take the time to watch this important video.

You can help a bit by signing the Petition that will be sent automatically to your State's Legislature

You can help a lot by volunteering to help with grassroots efforts in your locale. Every little bit helps.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 February 2018, 11:32
Did...did I do that?

We've never had an Article V convention. I can't see anything good coming from that. There's no rules on how to run one. You can't control it once it starts, and the last time that happened, they threw out the old document (AoC). There's no rules on how the delegates get selected. There's no ANYTHING written down about how to execute this. It'd be a cluster of monumental proportions.
Old 22 February 2018, 11:38
Been There Done That

Thanks. Term limits, no exemptions for Congress to the laws they pass... all good.

Balanced Budget Amendment.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 22 February 2018, 11:46
Confirmed User

I would also like to see the laws on monopolies changed to be much more strict. I think one of the biggest problems facing our nation are huge corporations with to much power. Break up the tech companies the media companies the food companies, and insurance companies to name a few,almost ever sector needs attention.
Old 22 February 2018, 11:56
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
I would also like to see the laws on monopolies changed to be much more strict. I think one of the biggest problems facing our nation are huge corporations with to much power. Break up the tech companies the media companies the food companies, and insurance companies to name a few,almost ever sector needs attention.
I'd like world peace, and everyone to love each other. End famine and war.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I'd like world peace, and everyone to love each other. End famine and war.
LoL
Old 22 February 2018, 12:52
Old Scroll

This is serious business. Probably the last real chance that we Americans have to sort out the mess in DC.

Regarding a "runaway convention..." that's hyperbole put out by those opposing the concept of engaging with Article V:
  • Each state must "apply" to the convention by passing specific language in both houses of the State's legislature. Gubernatorial input not needed.
  • The language is identical from state to state, eliminating the possibility of any confusion as to the "mandate" of the convention.
  • This mandate, if you will, is the left and right limit of the convention. They can only consider and vote on amendments that are contained within the application passed by the state.
  • Once 34 of the various states have approved the application for convention, the US Congress MUST convene the convention.
  • Congress' role is only administrative, in that they must set the date / location. They have no other input.
  • Once the states are convened in the convention, they can consider ONLY the three areas that their states have voted on.
  • 1) Term Limits
  • 2) Fiscal Responsibility
  • 3) Limiting government overreach
  • 38 states must approve the proposed amendments for them to be adopted.
  • Each state has ONE vote, but may send as many delagates as they want.
  • Some states already have laws on the books for delegate behavior... jail time can be the result of attempting to stray outside the state's application.
So you see, with 34 states needing to apply for the convention to begin, and then 38 states needed to approve an amendment, which is limited to any or all of the three specified areas, there is little to no chance for a "runaway convention" to occur.

12 states have passed the Article V Convention of States. Many more are in the works this legislative session. Pray for passage and our Republic.
Attached Images
File Type: png progress map.png (109.0 KB, 448 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 22 February 2018 at 12:57.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
We've never had an Article V convention. I can't see anything good coming from that. There's no rules on how to run one. You can't control it once it starts, and the last time that happened, they threw out the old document (AoC). There's no rules on how the delegates get selected. There's no ANYTHING written down about how to execute this. It'd be a cluster of monumental proportions.
What’s the worst that can happen. This ‘living breathing’ document has already been shredded over the last 100 year’s. I’ll take my chances with Levin’s POV and writings over your commentary above but ymmv.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 22 February 2018, 14:01
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
This is serious business. Probably the last real chance that we Americans have to sort out the mess in DC.
There are serious issues, but that does not qualify this as serious business.

Really, "the last real chance that we Americans have to sort out the mess in DC?" Do you really believe that?
Old 22 February 2018, 14:33
Old Scroll

Absolutely. Do you really believe that Congress will EVER vote for term limits? IMO that organization has of late become the proverbial self-licking fudgesicle... any self-limiting action is anathema to both sides of the isle, both sides of the building.

How about their actually curtailing their out of control spending spree? Do you believe they'll willingly cut back? See that as not that serious? I don't. I see it as our becoming another Greece should it not be stopped.

Do you have any proposals that might help out? BTW, as I type this the Kansas Senate gave it the thumbs up. Progress is being made, on all sides. This is truly NOT a partisan issue... it is literally We the People for changing how our government has gotten out of control.

Sign the petition, and call it good. If you care, or are interested, fossick about on the CoS website. There is a ton of information there, and really, I see this as our last opportunity.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 February 2018, 14:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
There are serious issues, but that does not qualify this as serious business.

Really, "the last real chance that we Americans have to sort out the mess in DC?" Do you really believe that?
Debbie Downer.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 22 February 2018, 14:48
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Debbie Downer.
If you believe that a Art V Convention of the States is the only remaining hope for this country, what are you going to do if the 34-state threshold doesn't get met? All hope is lost? Move to France? Get a cabin off-the-grid in Lincoln, MT, and start mailing packages?

And I'm the Debbie Downer? Because I don't put all my hope and dreams in this little basket that a Beltway Bandit like Jim Demint is stumping for?
Old 22 February 2018, 14:54
Old Scroll

Here's an example of the material on the CoS website:

Quote:
Fear is the "fuel of tyranny"

Published February 22, 2018 by Convention Of States

The following was written by Rita Dunaway and originally published on WND.com.

Across America this month, 43 of our 50 state legislatures are in session. Many of them will consider the Convention of States Project – a legislative resolution to convene with the other states pursuant to Article V of the U.S. Constitution, to propose constitutional amendments that would impose fiscal restraints on the federal government, limit its power and jurisdiction, and set term limits for federal officials.

Over the past four years, 12 states (Georgia, Florida, Alaska, Alabama, Indiana, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arizona, North Dakota, Missouri and Texas) have already passed this resolution. Article V requires 22 additional state legislatures to act before the meeting can convene.

If you want to be inspired – if you want to see “self-governance” in action – watch online as a legislative committee receives public comments about the Convention of States resolution. You will see rooms jam-packed with Americans from every walk of life, urging their state legislators to use their power to restore our republic.

They are farmers who want the Environmental Protection Agency out of their ponds and puddles. They are business owners who want relief from regulations so extensive that teams of attorneys scarcely understand them. They are veterans who feel betrayed as they watch their liberties eroded. They are parents who want control over education back in their own hands, where it belongs.

You will also see those who have been misguided by false, decades-old leftist propaganda, begging committee members to “protect the Constitution” by shunning the very process it establishes to check and balance federal power. They complain about the unsustainability of our nation’s present course, yet insist that we do nothing to change it, save what we’ve been doing all along. The irrationality of their position is lost in the depths of their sincerity.

They would do well to remember the words of Patrick Henry to the gentlemen of 1775 who hoped to appease a tyrannical king:

“[I]t is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? … I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past.”

The “past” of our federal government points plainly to a future America effectively divorced from her Constitution – unless we do something to change it.

Thoughtful conservatives who are alarmed by our nation’s trajectory have concluded that the Article V convention process – the Constitution’s solution – offers the only peaceful, effective way to get back on track. These include Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Tom Coburn, Jim DeMint, Allen West, Bobby Jindal, Mike Huckabee, Michael Farris … and many others.

They are the Patrick Henrys of our time. They recognize the impotence of misplaced hopes. They know that institutions that have bent and twisted constitutional language to expand their own powers will never voluntarily bend it back to its original meaning. Only the Constitution’s amendment process can fortify the boundaries of the enumerated powers with precise, 21st century language that today’s judges, politicians and bureaucrats will not be able to evade.

Today’s federal officials can maintain that Congress’ power to tax and spend for “the general welfare” is an unbounded power. But this fiscal insanity would end abruptly with an amendment that requires taxation and spending to be tied directly to a specifically named constitutional power.

Not everyone has the stomach for the long, difficult road to state-proposed, state-ratified constitutional amendments. Some say it’s too hard. Others are paralyzed by fear that the process could turn out badly. This is nothing new.

According to historians, only 40 percent of the colonists were patriots who supported the American Revolution. Around 15 percent remained loyal to Britain, and the rest just tried to stay out of it.

As an Idaho representative recently stated, today’s Article V opponents would not have been numbered among the patriots, because their motivation is fear, worry and doubt. These motivations cannot sustain a republic; they are the fuel of tyranny.

Today’s patriots neither cower in fear nor wallow in grumbling. They champion the Constitution’s solution.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 February 2018, 15:39
Did...did I do that?

A year ago, I wrote a blog post the included some writerly speculation about a Con-Con. I was not hopeful.

Quote:
In an effort to prevent another controversial election decided by the Electoral College, the Democrats draft several Constitutional Amendments. That action isn't uncommon; there have been at least sixteen amendments proposed since the turn of the century. The amendments might call for abolishing the Electoral College, or repealing Presidential term limits. The hotly debated amendments are not adopted by Congress, or are, but aren't ratified in the artificially short time-frame Congress offers. That in turn causes enough state legislatures to call for an Article V Convention, which Congress calls, with no small amount of debate and interference by the GOP.

The Article V Convention, sometimes referred to as a Con-Con, ends up being a "runaway convention," not unlike the 1787 Convention. The document that comes from the Article V Convention is drastically different from the 1787 Constitution and is in essence a brand new Constitution. Some rights are curtailed or abolished. Other new rights are created or explicitly included based on Supreme Court decisions.

The 1787 Constitution ratification section set forth that the document would go into effect when ratified by nine of the 13 states, or what amounted to two-thirds of the states. It also states that proposed amendments must be ratified by three-fourths of the state legislatures or by special state ratifying conventions in three-fourths of the states.

Two-thirds equals thirty-four states; three-fourths is thirty-eight. What would a new Constitution require for ratification? I could make a case for either number.

The process to this point would be contentious, to be sure. Markers called in. Backstabbing. Alliances birthed and aborted.
But ratification is where things really turn south, in my twisted little mind. What happens when the states that voted against ratification refuse to recognize the new document, for whatever reason?

Article 7 of the current Constitution says "The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same." The Constitution went into effect on March 4, 1789, even though North Carolina and Rhode Island had not yet ratified it. North Carolina waited until November to ratify, and Rhode Island until May of 1790. Were they bound by the Constitution prior to ratification?

Would states that refused to ratify a new Constitution be bound by it? If not, what do they become? If the 15 states refuse to ratify, and instead declare their loyalty to the 1787 Constitution, what would that look like? Would a Democratic president use military force to preserve the union at all costs?
Old 22 February 2018, 15:52
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
A year ago, I wrote a blog post the included some writerly speculation about a Con-Con. I was not hopeful.
Sir, your post is patently uninformed, and highly inaccurate as to the truth. Please, take a few minutes to refresh your understanding of how a Convention of States (not a ConCon) works. A runaway convention, as you allude to, is essentially impossible. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, but really, what you wrote last year is completely wrong.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 February 2018, 15:56
Been There Done That

Consider me " oh ye of little faith".

But, I'll sign it.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 22 February 2018, 15:58
Administrator

Mark Levin thinks it's a good idea. He's a pretty sharp guy that I tend to agree with on most things.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 22 February 2018, 16:07
Confirmed User

I signed, but I'm in Illinois, so odds are this state will be a no go
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to polish a turd.
Old 22 February 2018, 16:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
If you believe that a Art V Convention of the States is the only remaining hope for this country, what are you going to do if the 34-state threshold doesn't get met? All hope is lost? Move to France? Get a cabin off-the-grid in Lincoln, MT, and start mailing packages?

And I'm the Debbie Downer? Because I don't put all my hope and dreams in this little basket that a Beltway Bandit like Jim Demint is stumping for?

cabin/mail/mt/packages

Your definitely on the radar now.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 22 February 2018, 16:29
Cry havoc

I think it's a great idea, there is a reason it exists in the Constitution and we are living that reason. I don't think it can happen fast enough.

Lot's of ignorance out there, it's unfortunate that people don't read anymore. The Convention of States is NOT a Constitutional Convention, amazing that people keep regurgitating this nonsense.

As far as:

Quote:

I don't understand your point, so do nothing? Just keep going with the status quo? Or move to France? Get a cabin off-the-grid in Lincoln, MT, and start mailing packages?

Two eyes from the east.

Our new posting rules