Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 2 March 2018, 18:47
Shakin' the bush Boss

Power outages

AEP is reporting 89K outages and Dominion over 200K. Mine out till at least Sunday is AEP projection. Quite breezy here on the Blue Ridge.

Anybody that's close and in a shit sandwich, I have two spare generators.
Old 2 March 2018, 18:55
Another pool cleaner

Take care.
Old 2 March 2018, 19:06
FIDO

There were over 59k outages in my area. Kids school was closed since several off the schools were without power. The winds were pretty wicked.
Take care and stay safe.
Old 2 March 2018, 19:15
Old Scroll

WNC got it pretty good, but doesn't appear to be catastrophic...
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (1.00 MB, 286 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 2 March 2018, 19:18
Confirmed User

We're out....

My God how disappointing it is watching my family running around trying to deal with basic shit like locating batteries and candles and not thinking ahead... it's like they're helpless without the 'alpha male'.....jeez
Old 2 March 2018, 19:39
The Sagacious One

I am stranded in Baltimore for the night. All Trains cancelled.
Old 2 March 2018, 19:52
Been There Done That

Wind gust up to 50 mph last night G Man. How the hell I didn't lose power IDK. A little blowing snow along with it. My road is normally the first off & last on. Same power company.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 2 March 2018, 19:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
There were over 59k outages in my area. Kids school was closed since several off the schools were without power. The winds were pretty wicked.
Take care and stay safe.
Schools closed here too. Different reason, have been on statewide strike for last week.

Old 2 March 2018, 20:03
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am stranded in Baltimore for the night. All Trains cancelled.
I got some iTunes gift card numbers I can send you if youíre bored! I donít use the. Let me know, Iíll pm them to ya!
Old 2 March 2018, 20:07
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
How the hell I didn't lose power IDK
Let me know if you need a gen and I'll meet you in Princeton with my spare. I'd say by in the morning it's going to be ugly as far as outages go, it's blowing harder here now that it has all day.
Old 2 March 2018, 20:10
Confirmed User

We (northeast of Philly) just lost it about half an hour ago. Some friends earlier in the day, and Pine Run (outside Doylestown for the locals) was on Gens much of the day according to a friend.
Old 2 March 2018, 20:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Let me know if you need a gen and I'll meet you in Princeton with my spare. I'd say by in the morning it's going to be ugly as far as outages go, it's blowing harder here now that it has all day.
Thanks brother. I'm GTG. Generator, all the camping shit I got, propane heaters, stoves. We always close all the rooms off and hunker down in the living room adjacent to the kitchen. Went through this for 11days in summer of 2013.

Old 3 March 2018, 21:54
At the Barn

The first thing we did was put in a whole house generator. It's great watching the neighbors freak out about the power outages.
Old 4 March 2018, 09:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
The first thing we did was put in a whole house generator. It's great watching the neighbors freak out about the power outages.
This.

Of course, when your new friends and neighbors tell you that power seems to go off for no apparent reason on a fairly regular basis, installing a back-up becomes a bit of a no-brainer....
Old 4 March 2018, 09:22
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
+1!

20kWh Generac on an Auto-Transfer Switch is sooooo nice. IIRC it was about $8K all in - and worth every penny. If you are handy (real handy, as in know or have a friend/friends that can do electric and natural gas) - you can get them for about $2-3K online and install them yourself. One 3 day outage in the summer, No AC, and hauling pool water for toilets was all it took to make me invest, LOL!
Old 4 March 2018, 09:49
Old Scroll

Do you generator guys think that the best setup would be natural gas-fired with a big propane backup tank, or diesel, or gasoline?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 4 March 2018, 10:14
Shakin' the bush Boss

I run a portable and backfeed it thru my dryer outlet. I bought a 7500w dual fuel that will run gas or propane. Propane is much easier due to not having to worry about your carb between usage periods. It runs everything in my house fine, I just can't run everything at once. Come shower time I cut everything else off for half hour, heat the water, then cut water heater off and take a shower. Whole house backup is the way to go, I'm just a cheap bastard.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Smarter-...SDEB/206146858

Last edited by Gsniper; 4 March 2018 at 10:25.
Old 4 March 2018, 11:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Do you generator guys think that the best setup would be natural gas-fired with a big propane backup tank, or diesel, or gasoline?
I went with propane as opposed to natural gas, diesel or gas for a number of reasons. Primarily because I like not having to worry about fuel 'shelf life', as well as not worrying about an interruption in the natural gas distribution system (of course, not having access to the natural gas distribution system was also a consideration ;-) ).

And, being a 'belt and suspenders' kinda guy, i also have a couple of small portable gas generators to back-up my back-up. I use enough gas in mowers, atvs, etc that shelf life isn't normally an issue for the relatively small quantities involved.
Old 4 March 2018, 12:04
Confirmed User

I've got a Generac 17500 which could power my entire house if needed..,just have the furnace, refer, and select lights/outlets on. One thing is it drinks a lot of gas ....only needed it for about 5 hours yesterday as we went the night before without heat (stove is propane so could cook). This weekend's power outtage was 24 hrs total for us.

During Hurricane Sandy (5 days without power), I spent over $400 on gas....not sure how propane or NG would compare. Still better than a hotel for a week. Things got a little dicey towards the end as those damned New Yorkers were coming up and draining all the service stations of fuel. (Police were being stationed at the gas stations because of long lines and short tempers)

Didn't use it for about a year after Sandy. Kept it outside under it's cover. and would periodically fire it up. When I went to start it earlier this year, I found that litter critters had crawled inside and made nests in the airfilter (actually ate the filter), ruined the carburetor, chewed up the wire harness, etc....(how they were able to do that, I don't know), but it set be back over $800 to get repaired.

Now it's in the garage for good. Learned the hard way....
Old 4 March 2018, 13:56
Authorized Personnel

48 hours with no power. The price you pay for living on the edge of the empire apparently. JK; we live about 30 miles from DC, so you think we'd be better off. Several trees took out power lines in the area, but the crews are hard at work getting everything rewired. Thankfully it's neither too hot or too cold. We've got food, water, lights, and SOCNET. I am going to look at the home generator thing once we're done paying for college.

I think my wife and daughter are a little tired of hearing "no one's shooting at us, so you got nothing to complain about"...

Our new posting rules