Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 March 2018, 10:10
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Do you generator guys think that the best setup would be natural gas-fired with a big propane backup tank, or diesel, or gasoline?
My Generac Whole House unit has a switchable regulator for NG and Propane. So you could do NG primary, and just have a giant ass Propane cylider installed next to it. I have *never* had NG go out in 10 years. I think worrying about that is TEOTWAWKI, and even then - how ya gonna get Propane? No idea on Propane run times per pound either.
Old 5 March 2018, 10:30
Another pool cleaner

I've been reading up on "wood gasifier" and "wood gas". I do not have any experience with this but have seen internet sites and youtube videos on it.

I've seen it used as fuel for generators and vehicles.

Very interesting concept.
Old 5 March 2018, 10:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
...No idea on Propane run times per pound either.
Somewhere in the range of 1 gal/hour, I believe.
Old 5 March 2018, 13:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hile View Post
We (northeast of Philly) just lost it about half an hour ago. Some friends earlier in the day, and Pine Run (outside Doylestown for the locals) was on Gens much of the day according to a friend.
I am in Sellersville, most of the borough was out until yesterday. We only lost it for a minute last night. We have trees and power lines all over.
Old 5 March 2018, 13:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I am in Sellersville, most of the borough was out until yesterday. We only lost it for a minute last night. We have trees and power lines all over.
Feasterville here, specifically, Steve. We got ours back on Saturday afternoon, maybe 1500ish. Some friends in Churchville came back Sunday; others in Willow Grove were out most of the weekend. I think MontCo got it worse than we did.
Old 5 March 2018, 14:08
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
... No idea on Propane run times per pound either. ...
Consumption is based on load. I was reading about it yesterday and will see if I can find the website.
Old 5 March 2018, 14:41
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
"wood gasifier"
I make all my own charcoal and wood gasses are a by product of that also. Not a difficult concept to implement. Havn't done the research yet for engine uses. I'm heading the hydro route for the short term.
Old 5 March 2018, 14:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Consumption is based on load. I was reading about it yesterday and will see if I can find the website.
Don't worry about it - I'm Natural Gas. IMO, if you have NG running to your house, I couldn't think why you'd choose Propane (assuming you have to make that choice - Generac is Dual Fuel).
Old 5 March 2018, 16:27
Darwin Award Presenter

Duchess and Westchester County, Peoples Republic of New York, still in a state of emergency, 400,000 without power to date. 3 surrounding counties also declared state of emergency as well. Several 18 wheelers toppled on the Tappan Zee Bridge (refuse to call it the Gov Coumo on principal).
Old 5 March 2018, 17:03
Confirmed User

That new TZ bridge has got some issues. There's been quite a few accidents there last couple of storms....unlike the other older bridges (Bear MTN, Whitestone, GW,etc) still in existence.
Old 5 March 2018, 17:03
The atomic zit

This is NOT for Polypro, because he has natural gas... :D

I agree on never having had the gas "go out", at least not in my life time.

This will give anyone an idea of how to calculate tank size based on generator size at a % load and estimated run time:

https://www.motorsnorkel.com/propane...-rate?___SID=U

Or how long you can expect a certain size tank will last. You can math it up any way you like...
Old 5 March 2018, 17:12
Shakin' the bush Boss

Look at the big brain on Stretch. I can run approx. 800 hours on what propane I usually have on hand.
Old 5 March 2018, 17:40
Old Scroll

In-laws are in Dutchess County NY, a little place called Dover Plains.

No power for four days, and it's cold out, snow on the ground.

Luckily the FIL is handy and has a 5kw generator that's running the heater, fridge, and lights. Problem is gasoline... He's getting low, and none is available anywhere, so starting yesterday he's running 4 on, 8 off, 4 on, 8 off, per day... figures he's got 3 more day's fuel, then he'll be out.

He was out today scouting for gas and saw zero linemen working anywhere, and of course got no gas, but he did get hot pastrami sammiches at the deli down the road that's about to loose the contents of their coolers.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 5 March 2018, 18:26
The atomic zit

Big brain checking back in...

800hr=1 month wide ass open.

I am going with 3 month at moderate rate. Hot showers when y’all need one and no thing thaws if it’s summer time.

With NG, we can cook; and with a baby generator we have hot water and heat.

If I had to go to propane, I would have to change out all of the orfices, or is that orfi...
Old 5 March 2018, 18:29
Confirmed User

Another storm on the way B 2/75 wed/thurs. Temperature's dropping, a decent amount of snow forecast.....they may be in a heap of trouble.
Old 5 March 2018, 18:33
Shakin' the bush Boss

We'll go with orfi, it sounds more scientific. I keep several 100lb bottles full and have all the hardware on hand to switch to the 300gal tank I use for heat. Yeah, that 800 hrs is running wide ass open 24/7. I also have a 1000w Honda gas generator that sips gas that I can use during the day for lights and TV, etc. I would only need to run the big gen for an hour in the AM and PM for hot water, etc. I heat with propane now because I don't want woodstove mess in the house, but if necessary I can move my shop woodstove indoors and be heating with wood in a couple of hours. FOB Gsniper is prepped for the long haul.
Old 5 March 2018, 18:50
The atomic zit

I know the way to the garage. If things turn to shit, I might ask directions to another place.

My next purchase will be 2000kW Honda. It goes both ways too. And conversion kits are readily accessible.

For what it’s worth, my hot water source is tankless. When the power goes out I of a run off of a marine battery and a converter. It needs 1.5 V to fired it up.
Old 5 March 2018, 18:52
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've got a couple of 400 and 800w 12/110v converters also if I have to go battery route. They come in very handy camping also.
Old 5 March 2018, 19:05
Confronting the Reckoning

Polypro--natural gas goes out in some of the old neighborhoods in my area, with moisture in the lines and freezing conditions. A town in eastern Ohio, if memory serves, lost its entire NG feed when an above ground switch valve froze and then cracked several years ago. Rare, but not enough to warrant dropping the grand on a giant tank and filling it unless one has the extra cash. My propane tank was already there when I put in the Generac and linked it tot the NG.
Old 5 March 2018, 19:31
Important nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
They just upped the snow forecast around here to 10-14 for Wednesday. We never lost power, but lots around us did. I'm in Springfield Twsp. on the Bucks/Northampton County border. And maybe another one coming in on Saturday too. Should have stayed in Florida with my son.

Our new posting rules