SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 March 2018, 23:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Fox News and CNN had this story at the top of their pages. Now I can’t even see it on the main page. No death toll, no news. Imagine that..
Just saw news starting to put out the gunman plus three hostages dead.
Old 10 March 2018, 00:00
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
There’s the difference in seconds, brother. I’m watching Fox News as I type this.
Old 10 March 2018, 01:48
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
Fuck man. Execute, execute, execute. Once you restrain people with the threat of deadly force you're a dead man walking.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 March 2018, 03:10
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
I was forced to disarm as an LEO a few years ago when I walked into the Cleveland VA. I was carrying my issued Sig226 because I was coming from work.
There are Signs that Read No Weapons, Knives etc allow on V.A. property No Exception.
Old 10 March 2018, 03:14
Never to old to learn

It was a retirement party for one of the individuals, I recognized one of the individuals name. Three Females Killed an Gunman also dead. He had been going to classes for PTDS an is from Sacramento CA Area last name Wong (sp)
Old 10 March 2018, 07:40
Been There Done That

PTSD

PTSD related?

Look for a push to add those with PTSD to the no buy list.
Old 10 March 2018, 07:49
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
There are Signs that Read No Weapons, Knives etc allow on V.A. property No Exception.
I’m aware. Policemen can be trusted everywhere in the country with a gun, just not at the federal buildings. Pretty dumb.
Old 10 March 2018, 07:53
Old Scroll

Already there. I'm 10% VA rated for PTSD, no meds nor treatment since 2005, and was denied a concealed carry permit by my employer the Sheriff because of the medical records check.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 10 March 2018, 07:59
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Already there. I'm 10% VA rated for PTSD and was denied a concealed carry permit by my employer the Sheriff.
Are you serious? I have the same rating and I’m a cop. That can’t be a state law!? In Ohio you don’t necessarily have to go to the Sheriff Office of the County you live in. For example some people will go to Erie County instead of Lorain county because the Erie County Sheriff is much quicker in issuing permits. Is that an option for you?
Old 10 March 2018, 12:21
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Already there. I'm 10% VA rated for PTSD, no meds nor treatment since 2005, and was denied a concealed carry permit by my employer the Sheriff because of the medical records check.
Wtf. You should sue. That's ridiculous.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 March 2018, 12:38
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Wtf. You should sue. That's ridiculous.
I just sent him a PM telling him the same thing. Fucking due process!
Old 10 March 2018, 12:56
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Did you appeal, and (if yes) did the Sheriff issue you a permit after the appeal?

There is some confusion sometimes about how to interpret NC Statute 14-415.12. I was denied, appealed, and the Sheriff's Office apologized and gave me a permit. My "appeal" was nothing more than a phone call to a records clerk.
Old 10 March 2018, 13:03
I really don't care

Quote:
B 2/75. How do they know you are diagnosed with PTSD? I am unaware of a system requiring the VA to broadly disclose PTSD diagnoses to LE. Unless a Vet is in fiduciary trustee status it seem unlikely a PTSD diagnosis would ever show up on NCIS. Even if a rating of 100% just for PTSD was given.

256, here is a good article I read a while back on a popo forum which touches on the points you make.

https://www.policeone.com/police-jobs-and-careers/articles/6222919-PTSD-and-police-Hiring-and-retaining-war-veterans-in-our-ranks/
Old 10 March 2018, 13:18
Authorized Personnel

I truly feel sorry for those of you who live in states where the Sheriff issues CCW’s. Seems like bias and personal issues and whatever could play into their decision making process.
Old 10 March 2018, 13:51
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
I truly feel sorry for those of you who live in states where the Sheriff issues CCW’s. Seems like bias and personal issues and whatever could play into their decision making process.
Sheriffs issue in AL, and we are a “Shall Issue” State. But they do run a background check, and if there is a “mental” issue (PTSD included), kiss that permit goodbye unless you have connections.

A few years ago the VA suggested I file for PTSD. “You’ll get more money,” they said. “Don’t you wake up at night? Have bad dreams? Startle easily?”

I felt like they were planting ideas, and it was dishonest as hell. It also raised a little red flag about 2A issues. “No. But thanks for asking,” I said. They still ask that, and I politely refuse.

Hunting and plinking are therapies I’m not willing to give up.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 10 March 2018, 13:56
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Sheriffs issue in AL, and we are a “Shall Issue” State. But they do run a background check, and if there is a “mental” issue (PTSD included), kiss that permit goodbye unless you have connections.

A few years ago the VA suggested I file for PTSD. “You’ll get more money,” they said. “Don’t you wake up at night? Have bad dreams? Startle easily?”

I felt like they were planting ideas, and it was dishonest as hell. It also raised a little red flag about 2A issues. “No. But thanks for asking,” I said. They still ask that, and I politely refuse.

Hunting and plinking are therapies I’m not willing to give up.
I was ignorant to this stuff happening. I have a hard time understanding how a background check could access anyone’s medical records. Seems like a violation of something..

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 10 March 2018, 13:58
Confirmed User

Had the same thing happen. I was volunteering as a veteran mentor and the volunteer agency asked me if I wanted to put in a VA claim and kept trying to suggest it. Was very weird.

Agreed - hunting and shooting were critical for me to work out some of my stuff. I don't even bother to put in for a concealed carry in NY...at least for the liberal county I live in now. I'd rather not be in their database.
Old 10 March 2018, 14:06
Confirmed User

Yet another standoff going on in CA right now. Two LE down.
Old 10 March 2018, 14:07
Confirmed User

During discussions after the Parkland shooting, the issue of accessing mental health records during background checks seemed to be unattainable due to HIPPA (and possibly some other due process issues but HIPPA is the one I remember).

Wouldn't this also apply to CCW?
Old 10 March 2018, 14:09
Confirmed User

Perhaps B 2/75 disclosed trying to be honest. I know those questions are on the NY applications.

Our new posting rules