Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 March 2018, 14:16
Policeman Officer

My one and only ever conversation with a VA rep, she repeatedly probed me and asked leading questions about PTSD. I don't think it was nefarious at all except for trying to get me on board the gravy train. Regardless, I'm pretty confident I work with multiple guys who are collecting for PTSD and the department has no problem with it.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 March 2018, 15:04
Confirmed User

Any time you go see a Doctor at the VA. or out side Doctor, look at the questions they ask, i.e. do you won't to injury your self or someone else etc.!

Any time you state yes or maybe or any answer other than No. Your records are flagged. Bottom line you are screw for getting a weapon.

Next time you are at the VA for a Dr. appointment listen to what the nurse ask you. I all ways ask them to repeat the question.

VA regulations require them to flag your records any time you state YES an report it to the VA Police an it is filed in Federal Records.
Old 10 March 2018, 15:28
Authorized Personnel

You can ask to send you copies of your VA exams. My PTSD exam says “not a threat to himself or others” and if your rating is 10%, I bet it says something along that in yours.

I hope the fallen Rest In Peace.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 10 March 2018, 15:31
Confirmed User

VA always asks me questions. I stop them as soon as they start and ask to stay on course and ask about why I am there.
Also, Being retired, my daughter sees Tricare doctors, at the Naval clinic. The HM's started asking about boyfriends/girlfriends, depression etc. I halted that, talk to the Doctor and said dont ever ask my kid personal shit again.
Old 10 March 2018, 15:43
Confirmed User

In tis county of NY, and I am pretty sure in others, they ask if you have seen a counselor (for any reason). You have to disclose the counselor's name and number. I don't know HOW a medical professional could disclose anything...but its NY...so. A former civilian co-worker I know answered honestly that he and his wife had gone to marriage counseling and the judge denied the permit. He had to lawyer up. Over a two process to sort it out.

Regular docs asking if guns are in the home for normal medical visits (not VA - civilian) is always dubious. Clear national agenda.
Old 10 March 2018, 17:41
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
VA always asks me questions. I stop them as soon as they start and ask to stay on course and ask about why I am there.
After my VA retirement interview I got two phone calls and a letter asking for more information so they could process my PTSD claim. I didn't file a PTSD claim. Next level communication skills from the same organization that couldn't figure out which state I live in for my actual claim or how to attach a file to an email. I don't think it's an accident.
Old 10 March 2018, 17:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
After my VA retirement interview I got two phone calls and a letter asking for more information so they could process my PTSD claim. I didn't file a PTSD claim. Next level communication skills from the same organization that couldn't figure out which state I live in for my actual claim or how to attach a file to an email. I don't think it's an accident.
Hmm, interesting yet scary at same time.
Old 10 March 2018, 21:11
Confirmed User

Every time I go to an annual appointment the doc always brings up PTSD which I do not have or want money for, like it is a free ticket and it irritates me every time.

Does any body know if you HAVE to make and attend annual appointments if you receive benefits from the VA for other reasons such as injuries, to keep recieving the benefits?

I would really just prefer to steer clear of the VA if I could.
Old 10 March 2018, 21:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
Every time I go to an annual appointment the doc always brings up PTSD which I do not have or want money for, like it is a free ticket and it irritates me every time.

Does any body know if you HAVE to make and attend annual appointments if you receive benefits from the VA for other reasons such as injuries, to keep recieving the benefits?

I would really just prefer to steer clear of the VA if I could.
You can have zero percent rating and be watched yearly or longer like I do for back injury. If pain gets worse I can go in for MRI, for example, as my nerves are pinched sort of as leg goes numb allot.
Nuero surgeon just watches.
I do have tinnitus, and they have never asked to check ears since I got out in 2012.
I have heard if they fix something, rating can be changed
Old 10 March 2018, 21:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
You can have zero percent rating and be watched yearly or longer like I do for back injury. If pain gets worse I can go in for MRI, for example, as my nerves are pinched sort of as leg goes numb allot.
Nuero surgeon just watches.
I do have tinnitus, and they have never asked to check ears since I got out in 2012.
I have heard if they fix something, rating can be changed

I already have a 60% rating from a back injury in Afghan with permanent neuropothy among other things. My questions intent was, if I stop going to annual appts could they stop my benefits?

I have not had any problems with the VA so far but they are intrusive with unnescsfary questions, especially about firearms. It seems like they are just waiting to trip you up so they can place a label on Vets.
Old 10 March 2018, 21:41
Another pool cleaner

The latest news is one of the 3 killed hostages was 7 months pregnant.

Whatever the motive, I hope this killer burns in motherfucking hell. No amount of PTSD or mental illness is an excuse.
Old 10 March 2018, 22:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post

Whatever the motive, I hope this killer burns in motherfucking hell. No amount of PTSD or mental illness is an excuse.
Thats horrible, just horrible.
Old 10 March 2018, 23:49
Policeman Officer

Quote:

Yup. And I genuinely don't believe PTSD is a significant contributor to homicidal ideation.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 11 March 2018, 00:26
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:

I saw a comment from some politician in CA describing the coward that did this as "one of our heros."

That pissed me off. Fuck him. He isn't a hero. He isn't deserving of anything other than to be forgotten by his contemporaries faster than he is by history. The women he killed are to be remembered and honored.

I made the comment to my wife "I feel like this pathetic little shit just set back the public perception of veterans, reinforcing that we are all damaged victims, prone to violent outbursts."
Old 11 March 2018, 00:40
Been There Done That

Well, I'm going to guess he didn't use an AR type weapon - since no story I've read has said "assault" weapon... Maybe I'm wrong and the media is just asleep at the wheel but I can't see them passing up the chance to talk about a high capacity assault weapon if they get the chance.
Old 11 March 2018, 00:57
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Well, I'm going to guess he didn't use an AR type weapon - since no story I've read has said "assault" weapon... Maybe I'm wrong and the media is just asleep at the wheel but I can't see them passing up the chance to talk about a high capacity assault weapon if they get the chance.
News I read said he used a rifle and had a "stash of bullets" around his neck and waist.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 11 March 2018, 01:06
Policeman Officer

Multiple articles said "automatic weapon", one I read said "rifle". Who knows. Seriously doubt it was anything select fire.

Old 11 March 2018, 02:30
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
I already have a 60% rating from a back injury in Afghan with permanent neuropothy among other things. My questions intent was, if I stop going to annual appts could they stop my benefits?

I have not had any problems with the VA so far but they are intrusive with unnescsfary questions, especially about firearms. It seems like they are just waiting to trip you up so they can place a label on Vets.
It is best if you see your Doctor at least once a year, even if just for a check up. There is a small regulation that states if a Veteran is over 50% the VA is required to review there records every so often. I know a few Veterans that are 100% an have there records reviewed. Just because of a statement that was placed in there files. Just make an appointment to have your back checked out. I can't tell you what to tell the Doctor, but tell them something about how it hurts at times an you can't do some things. I know an individual that had a back problem, told then that it hurt his back when he was having sexes and now his wife has to get on top. He showed me a copy of his files that state it
Old 11 March 2018, 07:52
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Yup. And I genuinely don't believe PTSD is a significant contributor to homicidal ideation.
Truth.

Mental illness and PTSD (in particular) is being used as a crutch and excuse for bad behavior.

Last edited by 8654maine; 11 March 2018 at 08:03.
Old 11 March 2018, 09:43
BTDT

If this guy used any of the popular semi-auto rifles, I'd think we'd know about it by now. *No Way* that doesn't get trumpeted to the heavens during Parkland-mania.

Our new posting rules