SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 March 2018, 08:39
BTDT

Can't wait. I actually don't follow anything in the off season - I get surprised in Australia in March - then get caught up by Hobbs and Matchet commentating - watch every practice, qual, and race - I hope ABC/ESPN cover it well. Don't know why, but that's what I do.
Old 25 March 2018, 10:59
Make a desert and call it peace.

What happened to Haas was heartbreaking. But it looks to be a good season. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 25 March 2018, 13:23
Confirmed User

Haas was rolling really well. How the heck did the left side of two different cars have issues with guns putting tires on, two different guns.
Baffling.
But, Mercedez is going to kill them. They were so many seconds of ahead by the time the VSC and real safety car came out..
Old 25 March 2018, 21:31
Confirmed User

Is the contraption around the cockpit a safety device, some type of vortex generator to help with neck fatigue or a combo of both? I'm leaning towards a simple roll bar in case the car flips.
Old 25 March 2018, 22:00
Calculating Infinity...

Maybe you are talking about the "survival cell" that is pretty much the core of the car, upon which everything else is attached to?( yes, I watch Netflix )
Old 26 March 2018, 07:25
Confirmed User

Thanks Gumby - probably should have googled a bit before wasting bandwidth. I don't remember seeing it last season but must admit that I don't follow F1 closely just like watching the races.
Old 26 March 2018, 07:39
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
Is the contraption around the cockpit a safety device, some type of vortex generator to help with neck fatigue or a combo of both? I'm leaning towards a simple roll bar in case the car flips.
It's called the "HALO" and it's new safety device - ushered in after Jules Bianchi slid under a crane retrieving a disabled car during the cool down lap in Japan in 2014 - died.

Really disappointed in this years TV coverage in the fact that they *DID NOT* hire Diffy, Hobbs, Matchett, and Buxton as commentators. Hobbs and Matchett have been the voices of F1 in the US going back to at least the late 90's. All this year is, is basically ESPN re-broadcasting the Sky Sports feed out of the UK.

Still glad it's on, and it wasn't horrible commentating, just have to get used to something new. And my guys came in 1st and 3rd

Our new posting rules