SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 24 June 2020, 13:00
Embrace the Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
That sounds way too easy - way to appropriate - and yet, way too hard to execute based on the way our topsy turvy legal system has been managed over the last 30 years. Everybody needs a tactical SWAT Team - even the nine-man rural department that hasn't seen anything more exciting in the last few years than a 52 in a 35 speeding ticket offense...
...or the town drunk falling asleep in front of the Piggly Wiggly.

But hey; mutli-cams and body armor for everybody
The Mraps and Multicam aren't the problem, it's the attitude that seems to accompany that shit into the department.

When you hire cops that really wanted to be a Soldier but couldn't/didn't, you get someone looking for a fight in every call for service and the US vs THEM mentality. This is a generalization of course, but IMO it is the true cause of most of what is perceived as 'racist policing'.

Maybe the answer is to hire people who have seen a war up close? You certainly would eliminate much of the 'Cop Panic' shoots that seem occur with increasing frequency these days. Just a thought.
Old 24 June 2020, 19:59
Confirmed User

Minneapolis LEO Chokes Man To Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmcd82 View Post
...When you hire cops that really wanted to be a Soldier but couldn't/didn't, you get someone looking for a fight in every call for service and the US vs THEM mentality. This is a generalization of course, but IMO it is the true cause of most of what is perceived as 'racist policing'.

Maybe the answer is to hire people who have seen a war up close? You certainly would eliminate much of the 'Cop Panic' shoots that seem occur with increasing frequency these days. Just a thought.

If anything, some have been speculating around here that police agencies will soon be avoiding any hires with any hint of a military background.

So, any agency does interviews and decides to hire Miss X. HR steps in and says, "No, she was in the military." Chief replies, "But, she was a cook in the Navy." (Veteran's Preference be damned.)

As far as the earlier part, I have absolutely never even heard a hint of, "Oh, I wish I had enlisted." In fact, it was the opposite. Guys, usually, were Army MPs and thought it was a "fast track" to civilian policing in Minnesota. (It isn't, by the way.) You can actually apply for the reciprocity exam, but you have to have to meet the following criteria.

Keep in mind, though, my experience is from Minnesota, I gather that they do things much differently in other states.

https://dps.mn.gov/entity/post/exams...ion%20criteria

Last edited by Jim1348; 24 June 2020 at 20:05.
Old 24 June 2020, 21:22
Confirmed User

Looks like another death in custody in Arizona. The body cam video has been released. The footage is pretty dark. Naked Hispanic guy was in a garage held face down with a tarp over him for a very long time dies.

Police Officers, I want to support you. Please stop giving the opposition red meat.

The video can be seen on YouTube by searching the deceasedís name. Warning, itís graphic, very long, and not a lot of fun to watch.

Below is just the write up in the paper.

https://www.kold.com/2020/06/24/medical-examiner-releases-autopsy-toxicology-reports-recent-in-custody-death/?outputType=amp
Old 24 June 2020, 22:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I gather that they do things much differently in other states.
Illinois State Police will waive the bachelors requirement for veterans. It's one of the better PD's in the area.
Old 25 June 2020, 00:12
Confirmed User

Quote:

When you hire cops that really wanted to be a Soldier but couldn't/didn't, you get someone looking for a fight in every call for service and the US vs THEM mentality...
After working for several small PD's in MO after retiring out of the Military, that tends to be the case.

Dudes (for whatever reasons) couldn't join the military are wanting to play "Army" anytime they can. From being in BDU's or whatever the Army is wearing this week when they go to the range to wanting to be on/or form a SWAT Team for a jurisdiction that has only had 2-3 call-outs in 10 years and larger/nearby agencies or MSHP handled things with ease.
Old 25 June 2020, 04:38
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
That would be entertaining to propose at the next Seattle and/or Minneapolis city council meeting. Assuming they still bother to have those.

For a bunch of idiots convinced all cops are corrupt murdering racists, even the suggestion of hiring combat vets would be enough to make their heads physically blow off.

It would be a hell of a youtube video.
Old 25 June 2020, 08:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMP View Post
Dudes (for whatever reasons) couldn't join the military are wanting to play "Army" anytime they can.
This is true.

And it's more like wouldn't join the Army or any other service.
Old 25 June 2020, 10:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
Looks like another death in custody in Arizona. The body cam video has been released. The footage is pretty dark. Naked Hispanic guy was in a garage held face down with a tarp over him for a very long time dies.

Police Officers, I want to support you. Please stop giving the opposition red meat.

The video can be seen on YouTube by searching the deceasedís name. Warning, itís graphic, very long, and not a lot of fun to watch.

https://www.kold.com/2020/06/24/medical-examiner-releases-autopsy-toxicology-reports-recent-in-custody-death/?outputType=amp
Yikes.
Old 26 June 2020, 17:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Yikes.
Another incident from last year in Aurora Colorado is coming to light as well. Suspicious looking young adult wearing a ski mask in August walking. Called in. Police come by, attempt an arrest. The person resists, a struggle ensues where a chokehold was applied when one of the officers thought he was reaching for the firearm. The person states they can't breathe, vomits, and shows distress. Recorded as saying he wasn't doing anything or didn't hurt anyone. Paramedics were called in and ketamine was administered. He suffers a heart attack on the way to the hospital, dies a week later. No crime was indicated.

Apparently, the ~23-year-old was an anemic (so felt chills) hence wearing an open-faced ski mask, was walking to get ice tea for his sibling and near his residence. He was an introvert type and listening to music. The governor of Colorado has asked for a special counsel review.
Old 26 June 2020, 20:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp52 View Post
Another incident from last year in Aurora Colorado is coming to light as well. Suspicious looking young adult wearing a ski mask in August walking. Called in. Police come by, attempt an arrest. The person resists, a struggle ensues where a chokehold was applied when one of the officers thought he was reaching for the firearm. The person states they can't breathe, vomits, and shows distress. Recorded as saying he wasn't doing anything or didn't hurt anyone. Paramedics were called in and ketamine was administered. He suffers a heart attack on the way to the hospital, dies a week later. No crime was indicated.

Apparently, the ~23-year-old was an anemic (so felt chills) hence wearing an open-faced ski mask, was walking to get ice tea for his sibling and near his residence. He was an introvert type and listening to music. The governor of Colorado has asked for a special counsel review.
Damn...........
Old 27 June 2020, 21:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post

That's pretty ugly.

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law - just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack
Old 28 June 2020, 14:24
Been There Done That

These chokes are ridiculous, white belts in ju jitsu are applying correct (and safe) chokes after two weeks of class. I see five year old kids choking each other. There is no excuse for this, learn how to choke a motherfucker correctly.
Old 11 July 2020, 21:06
Confirmed User

I am putting this in here so we can evaluate if this transcript makes a bit of difference.
It was put out July 7 and has gained no traction anywhere.
https://www.startribune.com/read-the-transcript-of-thomas-lane-s-body-camera-footage/571678791/

Our new posting rules