Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 21 April 2017, 14:50
Very Deplorable

I've read here that being a medic allows you a higher daily rate, some say the highest.
That some guys get their EMT or Paramedic certifications for just that reason.

Is that still true?
Old 21 April 2017, 16:49
Very Deplorable

Weird double tap... hours later. iPhone problems.

Last edited by justamedic; 21 April 2017 at 16:56.
Old 3 May 2017, 23:28

Gents,

If anyone is working the afghan Reed ASG contract, could you PM me, just have a few questions that are non-recruiter specific.

Thanks
Old 6 May 2017, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
I've read here that being a medic allows you a higher daily rate, some say the highest.
That some guys get their EMT or Paramedic certifications for just that reason.

Is that still true?
Are you talking about working non WPS/static with those certs? I was just contacted again by one of the big named companies and offered a static position, I hold an RN license and NREMT and was offered the same $162 to stand guard. Significantly different than what was offered for the initial paramedic position I had applied for.

Although I'm still very, very new to the contracting game, it seems more secure to attempt for a paramedic position... Although the pre-reqs to land a gig will take anywhere from 5-8 years if you have no prior medical training..
Old 6 May 2017, 13:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickofSteele View Post
Are you talking about working non WPS/static with those certs? I was just contacted again by one of the big named companies and offered a static position, I hold an RN license and NREMT and was offered the same $162 to stand guard. Significantly different than what was offered for the initial paramedic position I had applied for.

Although I'm still very, very new to the contracting game, it seems more secure to attempt for a paramedic position... Although the pre-reqs to land a gig will take anywhere from 5-8 years if you have no prior medical training..
If you are a licensed RN, and want to make a small fortune in an austere environment, you should be looking at the Central Valley in California.

RN's make WAY more money there than you likely ever will "contracting" in some third world shithole.

A friend of mine was offered a $140k contract to work there for one year. That was the baseline pay without bonuses and OT.

YMMV.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 May 2017, 15:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
If you are a licensed RN, and want to make a small fortune in an austere environment, you should be looking at the Central Valley in California.

RN's make WAY more money there than you likely ever will "contracting" in some third world shithole.

A friend of mine was offered a $140k contract to work there for one year. That was the baseline pay without bonuses and OT.

YMMV.
Great advice. And you get to go home to your own place every evening, not have to breath fecal matter, and not be subject to possible hostile actions on a daily basis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 May 2017, 15:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Great advice. And you get to go home to your own place every evening, not have to breath fecal matter, and not be subject to possible hostile actions on a daily basis.
It's the Central Valley in California. I wouldn't be too sure about these two.
Old 6 May 2017, 16:49
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
It's the Central Valley in California. I wouldn't be too sure about these two.
#Winning
Old 6 May 2017, 21:35
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

YMMV.
This...

Patrick,

Static/WPS would not be something I would pursue. To answer your question, no I was not referring to static work. I was talking about PSS or strictly EMS contract jobs. Perhaps that is mea culpa for posting in the static guard thread.

RN travel assignments pay big time, and most times lodging is covered as well. Especially as was stated, Central Valley and Bay Area, CA pay big monies... although, you'll be in CA... enemy territory. Not to mention the taxes.
Pros and cons with everything.
Old 6 May 2017, 22:57

I looked into contract nursing jobs, nothing pays in comparison to what was quoted from one of the bigger companies for PSS/WPS paramedic work, although my CONUS expenditures are literally student loans and nothing more.. The caveat of course is I'm not sure what the "post tax total" is for WPS/PSS work, something I need to look at into the future.

I never checked out Central Cali contracting jobs, the agency/contract nurses we have come through have all done nothing but complain about contract jobs in california, be it NorCal or SoCal even if the money is on par with contracting jobs overseas.
Old 7 May 2017, 16:46
Very Deplorable

[QUOTE=PatrickofSteele;1058647723
I never checked out Central Cali contracting jobs, the agency/contract nurses we have come through have all done nothing but complain about contract jobs in california, be it NorCal or SoCal even if the money is on par with contracting jobs overseas.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, it's central CA. It smells like shit, management sucks, and you spend your whole day running around the ER playing primary care for the illegal field workers, drunks, assholes on MediCal. That's why the pay is so good, it's comparable to shit holes in the Middle East.. lol... just a smudge safer and less trauma but more drama.
Old 7 May 2017, 18:56

Hah, well said. I'll have to take a closer look into that.

Our new posting rules