Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 19 October 2016, 09:04
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Just for clarity, SL/KKR are both considered PE vs VC. I would actually consider PE more gremlin than VC as the risk with VC investments is HUGE.

Prices definitely will go up as it's all about what the market will bear. The appetite for this stuff is insane and people are will to pay through the nose for it which quite honestly, baffles me.
What does the even mean? At least the top half.
Old 19 October 2016, 09:08
Spice Weasel

PE = private equity, VC = venture capital
Silver Lake/Kohlberg, Kravis, Roberts are the buyers and are private equity groups rather than vulture capital. VC expects risk. PE can be spoiled babies who expect everything they touch to turn to gold. Makes for interesting times among management at the acquired firm.

Last edited by Azatty; 19 October 2016 at 09:18.
Old 19 October 2016, 16:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
PE = private equity, VC = venture capital
Silver Lake/Kohlberg, Kravis, Roberts are the buyers and are private equity groups rather than vulture capital. VC expects risk. PE can be spoiled babies who expect everything they touch to turn to gold. Makes for interesting times among management at the acquired firm.
Pretty spot on but PE like everything else, comes in all stripes so I wouldn't paint with such a broad brush. If a firm is dumping in a ton of equity, they should be entitled to have a say/vote in major decisions. Since a board seat(s) usually comes along with the deal, mgmt is usually on board.
Old 19 October 2016, 17:01
All Labs Matter

...and another...

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/10/ufc-can...me-img-layoffs
Old 19 October 2016, 19:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy View Post
Go look up WME; there's more to come.

There will be some other interesting announcements on the M&A front coming in the next few months.
Old 19 October 2016, 20:36
Violent Social Worker

"UFC Canada was never my friend."
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 9 July 2017, 13:09
Been There Done That

Looks as though the transition isn't having the desired effect.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/07/amanda-...-star-failure/
Quote:
The UFC’s machine for creating stars out of nothing has stalled, and their backup plan was discarded by the new ownership. In the past, when there weren’t stars to promote, the UFC banked on the pure meritocracy of the sport — which is what drew fans away from boxing in the first place. UFC fighters couldn’t pick and choose their opponents. They had to fight the best of the best.

No more.

Now, the almost-best of the best fight the almost-best of the best in meaningless interim title fights. This weekend’s example involves 40-year-old “f—ing beast” Yoel Romero taking on 26-year-old knockout artist Robert Whittaker for the interim middleweight championship. Logically, the winner should get a real title shot against champion Michael Bisping. Logic, unfortunately, has left the UFC building.
Quote:
Former champion and current No. 2-ranked Luke Rockhold is in open revolt. Fourth-ranked Gegard Mousasi is stalling on a new contract because of the confusion. And living legend Anderson Silva has said he would retire if he wasn’t granted a title shot.

Rockhold, Mousasi and Silva are not alone in their frustration. The entire lightweight division is in a similar stall as McGregor pursues Floyd Mayweather and a $100 million boxing paycheck. The heavyweight division is so bereft of new blood that Fabricio Werdum is fighting Alistair Overeem at UFC 213 for the chance to challenge champ Stipe Miocic, even though the champ has beaten both of them in the last 13 months.

Pound-for-pound king Demetrious Johnson and the rest of the flyweight division might be dropped by the UFC. Bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt is injured, though he was just featured as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter,” one of the UFC’s star-making vehicles. Finally, and most bizarrely, the women’s featherweight division crowned its first champion in February, only for Germaine de Randamie to be stripped of the title because she refused to fight Cris “Cyborg” Justino, who was the reason the division was created in the first place.
My problem is the focus on PPV. I became a fan largely because of the UFC's "lose two consecutively and you are out" attitude. Last night we had tired Travis Browne who has lost the last 6 of 8 fights and Jim Miller whose recent record is only slightly better (lost 6 of last 10) They must have some data that these guys sell PPV or why keep them around? Bethe Correia was being hyped and the combined record of her opponents before her title shot was 1-7. Of course she lost yet like those other guys, she keeps showing up at the top of cards.

As a good friend recently commented, "I used to like the UFC because it wasn't like boxing. Now, I'm not so sure".

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 9 July 2017, 13:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post

My problem is the focus on PPV. I became a fan largely because of the UFC's "lose two consecutively and you are out" attitude. Last night we had tired Travis Browne who has lost the last 6 of 8 fights and Jim Miller whose recent record is only slightly better (lost 6 of last 10) They must have some data that these guys sell PPV or why keep them around? Bethe Correia was being hyped and the combined record of her opponents before her title shot was 1-7. Of course she lost yet like those other guys, she keeps showing up at the top of cards.

As a good friend recently commented, "I used to like the UFC because it wasn't like boxing. Now, I'm not so sure".
but you do still occasionally have a glimmer of great fights like the Michael Johnson vs. Justin Gaethje bout from Friday which was better than all of the UFC 213 fights on Saturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyG9BrOj9Vs

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 9 July 2017, 16:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post

I stopped watching UFC about 2 years ago. There were too many fights that were either very short or after the first round, it was 4 more rounds of boredom. I'm not paying money for that.
Old 10 July 2017, 10:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
I stopped watching UFC about 2 years ago. There were too many fights that were either very short or after the first round, it was 4 more rounds of boredom. I'm not paying money for that.
Me as well. Too many fights, too many of them meaningless. It feels like filler.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 28 August 2017, 03:43
Confirmed User

Think of it a different way, the UFC acquisition is a content play and a cheap one at 4b. Netflix new content budget for 2017 is 7b if that helps give perspective. Based on the ppv numbers for this last fight, UFC acquisition has been and will be a great investment as they continue to grow the brand and develop the characters.
Old 28 August 2017, 07:48
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
... SNIP ... as they continue to grow the brand and develop the characters.

Bingo. UFC is going to be the next WWE.

Fighting doesn't have characters, for God's sake... they have contenders.

And Round Sign Girls.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 28 August 2017, 12:24
Confirmed User

You have to sell the story and UFC is no exception. Even when you go to whole foods, the section where they sell apples has a story board hung above it telling you about an apple farmer in WA and the story of Washington apples.

No one would watch any event if they didn't have background ie "the story".

Our new posting rules