Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 17 September 2017, 15:18
Confirmed User

Alvarez vs Golovkin

The match between Canelo and GGG last night reminded me of the best of the middleweight fights in the '80s between Hearns, Hagler, Durán and Leonard.

An excellent fight and I think the rematch will be even better.

Both of them are sore today, no doubt.
Old 17 September 2017, 18:07
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

For this thread to gain any traction at all, it would probably have to be titled "McGregor vs Golovkin".

Hate too say it, but boxing seems to be sailing off in the sunset. There was a time when I couldn't wait to watch Leonard, Hagler, Hearns or Duran fight each other. It's been awhile since I've really had a clue as to who the main fighters are in the various divisions I used to pay attention to.

Funny thing is, even though I'm not a huge fan of the UFC, I'm pretty familiar with many of their fighters.
Old 17 September 2017, 19:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
For this thread to gain any traction at all, it would probably have to be titled "McGregor vs Golovkin".

Hate too say it, but boxing seems to be sailing off in the sunset. There was a time when I couldn't wait to watch Leonard, Hagler, Hearns or Duran fight each other. It's been awhile since I've really had a clue as to who the main fighters are in the various divisions I used to pay attention to.

Funny thing is, even though I'm not a huge fan of the UFC, I'm pretty familiar with many of their fighters.
In a certain sense I agree with you. Boxing does seem on the wane. If Triple G and or Canelo could have fought in the same time period as Hagler or directly after I am certain their names would be more well-known.
Old 18 September 2017, 01:04
Confirmed User

I forget which one of the talking heads it was who said for
boxing to make a comeback they are going to have to put some big fights on regular TV & promote them like they did with the Pacquio vs Horn fight. They essentially have to follow what the UFC did.

It's probably true. There are a lot of talented boxers the average sports fan has never heard of.

Our new posting rules