Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 21 September 2017, 23:35
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Cleanest .22LR ammo

Does anyone have any guidance for me on what brands are known (such a .22 ammo might be known at all) to be exceptionally clean burning? It occurs that this would of course be plated projectile rather than the waxy lubed stuff, but past that I got nothing. It's going to be run in a high ROF system, and the load that gives the best reliability will in all likelihood be high velocity stuff, although I'll be looking for a subsonic plated load as well.

Brands known to be dirty stuff would be helpful info too.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 21 September 2017, 23:54
Firearms Industry Exile

If you don't mind me asking, what weapon system are you using and what's your intended use or desired result? It occurred to me that it may be developmental that you don't want posted in the open, so if you can't answer I understand.

What I see being an issue even with the best recommendations, are that two of your requirements are typically in contradiction with each other. You want the cleanest ammo, which doesn't necessarily jive with a high rate of fire. Something like a bolt action will be the cleanest, as it'll burn most of the propellant during the time that the bolt and projectile will create the best seal. Since the bolt action rifle isn't going to give you anything close to a high rate of fire, that's going to be the obstacle that you'll be up against.

Traditionally, as ROF increases, ammo performance exponentially decreases (shifts away incrementally from "optimal"). Same concept as barrel length and it's predictable effect on muzzle velocity.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 22 September 2017, 04:50
Confirmed User

I've just used a brick of eley force and that was quite clean for .22 it was also very consistent
only thing i don't like is they have anodized it black
Old 22 September 2017, 06:16
Confirmed User

Eley force worked well in my crappy Sig Mosquito. But CCi seems to be best, as it goes longer without having fte's
Old 22 September 2017, 10:53
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what weapon system are you using and what's your intended use or desired result? It occurred to me that it may be developmental that you don't want posted in the open, so if you can't answer I understand.
Not developmental.....it's a Post '86 DS Mini Uzi with a BxG .22 conversion set feeding from Black Dog 32rd mags, the plastic ones with the slight curve at the bottom. The springs don't seem all that forceful, and I am also wondering about their ability to keep up with a supposed 1200rpm rate of fire.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
Old 22 September 2017, 11:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Not developmental.....it's a Post '86 DS Mini Uzi with a BxG .22 conversion set feeding from Black Dog 32rd mags, the plastic ones with the slight curve at the bottom. The springs don't seem all that forceful, and I am also wondering about their ability to keep up with a supposed 1200rpm rate of fire.
might well be worth you trying the eley force then as was designed for use in semi auto 22lr so could work ok for you
Old 22 September 2017, 13:22
#BlackRiflesMatter

CCI, copper. If you can find it.

POTUS needs to get to work on this .22LR issue! A national tragedy IMO.

Last time I looked, getting to be almost the same price as cheap 9mm. If you can find it. And that's bullshit in the USA.

Last edited by Tycon; 22 September 2017 at 13:33.
Old 22 September 2017, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
...I am also wondering about their ability to keep up with a supposed 1200rpm rate of fire.
Sitting here picturing wave after wave of small suicide, er rodents?, being mowed down amongst the concertina, with an AG standing by for barrel swap.

DaveP
Old 22 September 2017, 14:15
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly View Post
might well be worth you trying the eley force then as was designed for use in semi auto 22lr so could work ok for you
Cool, thanks. I'll take a look around for some. Bass Pro usually has Eley, just don't know about that loading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
CCI, copper. If you can find it.
Sounds good, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Sitting here picturing wave after wave of small suicide, er rodents?, being mowed down amongst the concertina, with an AG standing by for barrel swap.

DaveP
Pigeons.

Old 22 September 2017, 14:45
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

DaveP
Word. Can you say minigun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vGobePvnTQ
Old 22 September 2017, 15:38
Firearms Industry Exile

The Eley works pretty well in guns that usually choke on bulk grade .22lr so it might be a good option. If you get it from Bass Pro, buy a few boxes to verify performance first. Then buy bulk from an internet supplier from there. Seeing .22lr ammo being bought for upwards of 40 cents per round is the type of shit that makes my eyes bleed.

The other recommendation, the one I'd suggest for your intended use in particular, would be the CCI Mini Mag. The standard velocity stuff might lack the gusto needed to feed reliably. With that ROF I'm assuming it's still in the open-bolt configuration?

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 22 September 2017, 18:20
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
The Eley works pretty well in guns that usually choke on bulk grade .22lr so it might be a good option. If you get it from Bass Pro, buy a few boxes to verify performance first. Then buy bulk from an internet supplier from there. Seeing .22lr ammo being bought for upwards of 40 cents per round is the type of shit that makes my eyes bleed.

The other recommendation, the one I'd suggest for your intended use in particular, would be the CCI Mini Mag. The standard velocity stuff might lack the gusto needed to feed reliably. With that ROF I'm assuming it's still in the open-bolt configuration?
It is.

The Mini-Mag stuff was super expensive so I went with 200 rds of Remington Golden Bullet high velocity (1255fps) plated round nose, 100 rds of Winchester hyper velocity (1435fps) which is unfortunately hollow point, and then 50 rds of Winchester subsonic to try out as well with the can. Bass Pro was as you say just to try some different stuff, I usually buy ammo by the case from SGAmmodotcom. All my .22's have threaded barrels so the only ammo I've needed until today was the mostly full case of Gemtech Subsonic I already had, but I was aware that I might need high velocity to get reliable function.

Appreciate the help guys.

Old 1 October 2017, 19:13
Wolverines!

Bob,

I've used these and have been happy with them. They are definitely worth giving a look.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/aguila...terceptor-ammo
Old 1 October 2017, 21:55
Anesthetized User

Day in day out over the years out of my Model 60 and 10/22 Target, CCI Mini-Mags have not failed and are clean imo.

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 1 October 2017 at 22:00.

Our new posting rules