Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 11 September 2017, 00:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I posted this in the Irma thread. A good hand crank AM/FM/Shortwave radio is a good way to get news when everything else is down. I got one from the Sportsmans Guide, but there are others out there.
I have a truck with AM/FM/SXM radio and can charge my phones ND has a 110 outlet inside,,,
Old 11 September 2017, 03:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
I have a truck with AM/FM/SXM radio and can charge my phones ND has a 110 outlet inside,,,
Me too. My GMC does everything but jack me off and hand me a tissue.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 11 September 2017, 11:01
Nurse Ratched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
I'm exploring now a rig that several people have described, namely a trickle charger, a car battery, a 12volt socket, a waterproof housing, a volt meter, and a USB charger that plugs into the 12 volt socket. The unit is portable, and can be taken to friends and relatives houses without power so they can charge up their electronics as well.
Would a marine tolling motor battery work better for that? Just wondering since my Ranger has 3 of them in it. My boat is part of my bug out plan to head to my place at the farm. It already has much of my gear in it, has 3 big ass charged batteries, 30 gallons of treated fuel and a trolling motor that can run for days.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 11 September 2017, 13:11
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh View Post
Would a marine tolling motor battery work better for that? Just wondering since my Ranger has 3 of them in it. My boat is part of my bug out plan to head to my place at the farm. It already has much of my gear in it, has 3 big ass charged batteries, 30 gallons of treated fuel and a trolling motor that can run for days.
Likely--the point is to have a large capacity 12v battery that you can recharge but which can provide power out to the things needing to be recharged.
Old 12 September 2017, 22:32
#AllLionsMatter

Deltec homes claims...

Quote:
According to its website, the company has built more than 5,000 homes in 47 years and has never lost one to hurricanes or high winds.

"Our homes have stood against some of the most detrimental storms in history including hurricanes Hugo, Sandy, Katrina, Ivan, Andrew, and Charley, and the most damage our homeowners have experienced is a few lost roof shingles."
The homes' round shape and structure help distribute energy from the wind to prevent the build up of "enough pressure on any side to cause a structural failure."
The floor plan of a circular home might be a little odd, but after being battered by Harvey and Irma, an indestructible home might sound pretty good to some people.
I can see the engineering behind it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deltec_after_HUGO_lake_moultrie_sc-1020x610.jpg (43.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg hurricane-hugo-1020x610.jpg (55.7 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Hurricane-Charley-1020x610.jpg (44.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg NorthTopsailBeach-1020x610.jpg (60.8 KB, 136 views)

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 13 September 2017, 13:05
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I can see the engineering behind it....
Geodesic dome homes were briefly popular back in the late 1970s or so for the same reasons, but they never caught on. The only ones I've seen since about 1990 were abandoned.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 9 October 2017, 16:20
Confirmed User

The one mentioned that I wish I would have had during Harvey - chest waders .
I was walking through people's front yards to stay as high and dry as I could, and water was still up to my dangly bits. Barefoot, with mosquito bites on my feet and scratches on my leg. How I didn't get some awful plague is a mystery to me (one guy here wound up with necrotizing fasciitis - aka the flesh eater - thanks to a brief dip of a mosquito-bitten hand into flood water).

If doing the above, minus the stupidity of going barefoot, a long fishing net for keeping venomous critters away. Water moccasins were ubiquitous.

Moreso on the creature comforts side of things - entertainment. Get your movies downloaded *before* the storm moves in. I had 5 people in a 2 bedroom townhouse, who couldn't really go outside (except maybe between rain bands). Yes, you need power for these things, but unless you were in one of the worst-hit areas for Harvey, your power wasn't off for more than a couple of days. If you bordered one of the worst areas, you were without power maybe a week. It's a tense enough situation having a 9 year old and 11 year old cooped up in your bachelor pad, doing it without hours of Despicable Me, Captain Underpants, and things of that sort, would have made life miserable.

We lost a shitload of parked cars during Harvey, even in areas where homes didn't flood - and yet I look around and see 4 or 5 story parking garages unoccupied. Being stranded even after the water is gone sucks. Move your goddamn car to high ground.

Things I saw none of on grocery store shelves:
-milk
-eggs
-cereal
-pop tarts

Even after the storm cleared and the grocery store was open again, they were rationing milk and eggs. Knowing the types of items people go full potato over in your area lets you scoop those things up in advance - guarantee you the cashier who looked at me funny when I told him I was padding the hurricane stash 2 days before everyone else, remembered my ass when the storm finally hit.

Last thing I can really think of - an actual no-shit camera that isn't your phone. If you have 2 feet of water in your house, and a dead phone, unscrupulous insurance adjusters might be more inclined to short-change you without photo evidence.

My sister/broinlaw had 2 feet of water in their house, and they're just over a mile from Buffalo Bayou (that's how fucking massive that thing got). He was a Naval Reservist, and they're with USAA, like a lot of you dudes - USAA was absolutely fucking outstanding handling their claim. I don't know how they are with other things, but for them, for this, the adjuster basically came in and said "you're getting an entirely new house". At first, they thought water had simply leeched in through the slab. Adjuster came back after the floors were torn up, said no, there was 2 feet of water inside, you're getting new cabinets, appliances, sporex top to bottom, new electrical, we'll even fix the sewer line while we're at it.
Old 9 October 2017, 16:35
Been There Done That

IIRC after one of the worse hurricane seasons (call it '06 or '07) USAA decided that they would no longer write any new homeowner's insurance policies in Florida. If you were to move from point A to point B, both in Florida, you'd have to find a new insurer, because they were OUT.

Has that situation changed yet? They were friggin' tits after Hurricane George came through Key West in '98... everybody I new was prior service and a USAA client; we all got taken care of very well. Would hate to think that was no longer the case for servicemen moving into the Sunshine State...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Our new posting rules