Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 October 2017, 19:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
Talking to a BIL ex-weapon trainer with a sheriffs department a few months ago and he had a different take on warning shots than I do.

His take on having a CCW gun with a chambered round was not to have a round chambered. He said it only takes a split second to chamber a round and the racking sound and action will possibly make the perp give up or reassess his actions.

My view is the first round is chambered and ready, aimed and fired. Any other actions like a warning shot just allows one more opportunity for your gun to jam putting you in a bad situation.
If I aim a gun at you... it will be loaded.

If I pull the trigger...it's to shoot you!

It's not fun and games and it's not designed to "scare you." That's not very bright or accurate and doesn't need to be taught to people.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
That's crazy; no offense to your BIL.

I disagree vehemently for several reasons. No sound will stop a criminal. What if one hand is disabled or occupied? Does he carry his duty weapon this way? What is his agency's policy on carrying with an empty chamber; five bucks says it's not allowed.
Perfectly stated my brother!
Old 10 October 2017, 19:54
On the Razor's Edge

When I was a patrol deputy back in the day, our shotguns did not have a shell chambered. The sound of racking a shell always got everyone's undivided attention.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check 6 View Post
When I was a patrol deputy back in the day, our shotguns did not have a shell chambered. The sound of racking a shell always got everyone's undivided attention.
Especially when it jams loading.
Old 10 October 2017, 20:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Our current policy is that long guns carried in the vehicle are to be in “car condition.” This means magazine loaded, empty chamber, trigger group disengaged.
Old 10 October 2017, 20:16
On the Razor's Edge

Quote:
Especially when it jams loading.
I never heard of that happening. The shotguns were cycled at least twice/day, i.e. loaded when we checked one out from the gun locker, and unloaded when it was returned at the end of watch.

During the second-half of my career as a special agent, I carried a Benelli shotgun in my 4x4, and it always had a shell in the chamber - different mission/training.
Old 10 October 2017, 22:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Which is why I never have the safety on, fearful that the little click could be heard...
Old 11 October 2017, 07:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
Our current policy is that long guns carried in the vehicle are to be in “car condition.” This means magazine loaded, empty chamber, trigger group disengaged.
And that's a different story. Much more manipulation required to retrieve it to begin with.

I'll bet you don't carry your pistol that way.
Old 11 October 2017, 08:24
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Talking to a BIL ex-weapon trainer with a sheriffs department a few months ago and he had a different take on warning shots than I do.

His take on having a CCW gun with a chambered round was not to have a round chambered. He said it only takes a split second to chamber a round and the racking sound and action will possibly make the perp give up or reassess his actions.

My view is the first round is chambered and ready, aimed and fired. Any other actions like a warning shot just allows one more opportunity for your gun to jam putting you in a bad situation.
A gun without a round in the chamber is a paperweight- Hot Mess

I mean, it’s not like you’d need your gun in an emergency to protect your life, or someone else’s. And far be it from me to suggest people with a lot of training, like a fucking lot, still look at a gun when they pull the trigger and it fails to go boom.

If your BIL is looking for ocean front property in AZ I can hook him up, for a small fee of course...
Old 11 October 2017, 09:14

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
A gun without a round in the chamber is a paperweight- Hot Mess

I mean, it’s not like you’d need your gun in an emergency to protect your life, or someone else’s. And far be it from me to suggest people with a lot of training, like a fucking lot, still look at a gun when they pull the trigger and it fails to go boom.

If your BIL is looking for ocean front property in AZ I can hook him up, for a small fee of course...
To be fair to my BIL who is generally pretty sharp, he may have been suggesting what I should do and not necessarily what a LEO should do. I could never envision a LEO without a chambered round.

I carry and also have a couple guns laying around the house in strategic locations but like some have said, I don't need any last second surprises. But I always make sure the safety is on and nobody comes around my guns.

If you squeeze the trigger and it doesn't go off and you retreat to a safe place, maybe you didn't need to shoot anyway.
Old 11 October 2017, 09:18
Pirate and Rogue

"Warning shots" is just a stupid idea. Wait till the first one hits an innocent and the lawsuits start.

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11 October 2017, 09:40
Social Claymore

Quote:
To be fair to my BIL who is generally pretty sharp, he may have been suggesting what I should do and not necessarily what a LEO should do. I could never envision a LEO without a chambered round.

I carry and also have a couple guns laying around the house in strategic locations but like some have said, I don't need any last second surprises. But I always make sure the safety is on and nobody comes around my guns.

If you squeeze the trigger and it doesn't go off and you retreat to a safe place, maybe you didn't need to shoot anyway.
Or you get shot in the spine by whoever you were trying to shoot.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 11 October 2017, 09:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
And that's a different story. Much more manipulation required to retrieve it to begin with.

I'll bet you don't carry your pistol that way.
Christ no! I was just referencing Check6's comment regarding not having his shotgun chambered. I think someone else already said it, but a handgun without a round in the chamber is a paper weight.
Old 11 October 2017, 09:52
In Vino Veritas

Quote:

I have, and have had jobs, at the pointy end of the spear. I’ve shot with people you see on TV and people who are outstanding shoots who you’ll never hear of. And not once, EVER, has anyone taught me to retreat. So there’s that...
Old 11 October 2017, 18:49
Midgetologist

[QUOTE=Hot Mess;105867798 And not once, EVER, has anyone taught me to retreat. So there’s that...[/QUOTE]

Same here.
Old 11 October 2017, 18:56
On the Razor's Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
Christ no! I was just referencing Check6's comment regarding not having his shotgun chambered. I think someone else already said it, but a handgun without a round in the chamber is a paper weight.
Just to keep my shotgun comments in perspective, this was in the 70s.

Our new posting rules