Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 October 2017, 08:25
Confirmed User

It's really sad to see the same things popping up regarding DoD/govt covering-up or not taking responsibility yet again for their actions. My old man is just now looking at Agent Orange-related issues that's likely rearing it's head after all these years away from VN. Then you got DU issues from DS/DS. 9/11 responders illnesses. Now sicknesses from, reportedly, the burn barrels in theater in this 'war'/action. Then the crap they pulled on my brother's ship and crew.

The shitty thing is that, from what I understand, it is so ridiculously hard to PROVE that what people are suffering from is related to what they were exposed to as a service member, combined with the fact that symptoms and issues may arise years or decades later, hamper efforts to get the resources they need to treat their illnesses/afflictions.
Old 10 October 2017, 09:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
My old man is just now looking at Agent Orange-related issues that's likely rearing it's head after all these years away from VN.
Sincerely, good luck with that. After my Dad passed, I came across multiple correspondences between him and the VA discussing Agent Orange issues. Unfortunately for him, it never got resolved. I never knew about it (discussions w/VA) as he never spoke to me about it. I found correspondences between him and coupe of his buds that had served in VN as well. Based on what I read, they too did not get the assistance they were seeking.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 10 October 2017, 10:26

I'm not attempting to start a conspiracy theory here but I have a deep gnawing suspicion that Mefloquine is a primary contributing factor in large numbers of PTSD symptoms from the current conflicts. There are obvious, little spoken of reasons why it has moved down the list of prophylaxis and been prohibited during flight status.

But hey, it's easier to just put everyone in the Broken Sailor Bucket for PTSD than it is to explain how you mangled brains with malaria medication.

It's just my suspicion, nothing more.
Old 10 October 2017, 10:41
Very Deplorable

I just want to thank you guys in here for your service. I wish our government and military had more support for you guys on the back end once the war is over or you get home. It should be a top priority, but unfortunately I don't even think current leadership can get that done right.

Thank you for your service and sacrifices. I wish you all the best.
Old 10 October 2017, 15:48
Moving Target

I got a letter from the VA today , My board Hearing is in Nov.. The last time I filed For Gulf War Illness the decision letter said " there is no such thing as Gulf War Illness. Can you believe that crap. I have a lawyer this time.
Old 10 October 2017, 16:21
#AllLionsMatter

Thumbs up Good luck!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I got a letter from the VA today , My board Hearing is in Nov.. The last time I filed For Gulf War Illness the decision letter said " there is no such thing as Gulf War Illness. Can you believe that crap. I have a lawyer this time.
Let us know how it goes!

A lot of folks were running around in those oil-well fires also.

Through in the number of burn-pits from OEF/OIF that were out of control too.

Take care,

Guy

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 10 October 2017, 17:00
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Let us know how it goes!

Through in the number of burn-pits from OEF/OIF that were out of control too.

Take care,

Guy
wilco!
Old 10 October 2017, 17:02
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
I hope you the best success with your claim, Brother! As already said, please keep us updated with your progress. It's obviously been a long time coming.
Old 10 October 2017, 18:37
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
I hope you the best success with your claim, Brother! As already said, please keep us updated with your progress. It's obviously been a long time coming.
x100
Best of luck to you, foxcult13.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:20
Moving Target

thanks I will keep you posted. I have a lot riding on it. I haven't been able to work since 2002 even though I have tried many jobs. I was a telephone contractor and I made great money so it really burns me up when my PMC Doctor told me I was faking trying to get money. I was making over 8 grand a month installing underground telephone line and fiber optic. I will be most happy with having so sense of justice after all the bull shit I have been through but I need the money too. haha. got to eat and feed the kids.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I have chocolate chips in the basement that are still soaked through with oil in the knees.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:43
Moving Target

I got drunk about ten years ago after my VA claim was denied for about the 10th time and I burned most of my Army stuff including my pictures. I really feel stupid doing that but I was pissed off and drunk..
Old 10 October 2017, 20:14
Confirmed User

Gulf War Veterans’ Medically Unexplained Illnesses
A prominent condition affecting Gulf War Veterans is a cluster of medically unexplained chronic symptoms that can include fatigue, headaches, joint pain, indigestion, insomnia, dizziness, respiratory disorders, and memory problems.
VA refers to these illnesses as "chronic multisymptom illness" and "undiagnosed illnesses." We prefer not to use the term “Gulf War Syndrome” when referring to medically unexplained symptoms reported by Gulf War Veterans. Why? Because symptoms vary widely.
Military service connection

Gulf War Veterans who meet the criteria below do not need to prove a connection between their military service and illnesses in order to receive VA disability compensation.
VA presumes certain chronic, unexplained symptoms existing for 6 months or more are related to Gulf War service without regard to cause. These "presumptive" illnesses must have appeared during active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations or by December 31, 2021, and be at least 10 percent disabling. These illnesses include:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a condition of long-term and severe fatigue that is not relieved by rest and is not directly caused by other conditions.
Fibromyalgia, a condition characterized by widespread muscle pain. Other symptoms may include insomnia, morning stiffness, headache, and memory problems.
Functional gastrointestinal disorders, a group of conditions marked by chronic or recurrent symptoms related to any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Functional condition refers to an abnormal function of an organ, without a structural alteration in the tissues. Examples include irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), functional dyspepsia, and functional abdominal pain syndrome.
Undiagnosed illnesses with symptoms that may include but are not limited to: abnormal weight loss, fatigue, cardiovascular disease, muscle and joint pain, headache, menstrual disorders, neurological and psychological problems, skin conditions, respiratory disorders, and sleep disturbances.
VA benefits
Gulf War Veterans may be eligible for a variety of VA benefits, including a Gulf War Registry health exam, the Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry, health care, and disability compensation for diseases related to military service. Their dependents and survivors also may be eligible for benefits.
Learn more about benefits related to Gulf War service.
Research on Gulf War Veterans' illnesses
VA and other researchers continue to conduct research to investigate how service in the Gulf War is linked to illnesses Gulf War Veterans have experienced. Research includes:
Multiyear health survey of Gulf War-era Veterans to find out how their health has changed over time
Studies by VA's War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
VA contracts with the Health and Medicine Division (HMD) (formally known as the Institute of Medicine) of the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to scientifically review the evidence for possible connections between Gulf War Veterans' illnesses and exposure to environmental agents or preventive medicine during service, and the best treatments for these illnesses.
VA is currently reviewing HMD's latest Gulf War and Health report, Gulf War and Health: Volume 10: Update of Health Effects of Serving in the Gulf War, 2016.
Old 11 October 2017, 01:55
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
[url]I was also exposed to the fallout from the March detonations and was a chemical casualty. The Army covered it up within the hour!
Was this Khamisya where Engineers blew up all those chemical bombs then watched a massive chem cloud move downwind?
Old 11 October 2017, 11:26
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
Was this Khamisya where Engineers blew up all those chemical bombs then watched a massive chem cloud move downwind?
Yes. I was on a Recon with a platoon and we got lost for three days and went by Khamisya . I saw two mushroom clouds from the detonations on two different days. We stopped to get some rest and a chopper landed with officers from 101ABN and 24th Mech in MOPP 4 and they tested the air and told me I had been exposed to two Chemical weapons and that I should report it right away. They told us how to get back to out company and left.
Old 11 October 2017, 20:45
Preparing to defend

I can’t remember where I saw it, but some whiz showed the true winds from Khamisya, and it was absolutely different than what the .gov posted years ago.

Our base was at KKMC with 5th GRP, and we operated as far west as Ar’ar, but mainly Rafha. To the east to Ras al Mishab and offshore up the coast to just off Kuwait City.

Then the war started, and we were all over.

The winds this dude plotted showed complete coverage of most of the battlespace from that explosion, to include Kuwait City and airport, where I lived for two glorious weeks in the smoke from oil well fires, and now I find out sarin from the demolition.

Fuck me running.
Old 12 October 2017, 05:12
Confirmed User

Jdog - do you remember the date/time frame for that? We ended up just outside Kuwait City (Mutla (sp) Ridge complex) when the ground war ended. I think we left late Mar/early April to head back to Saudi/Khobar towers.
Old 12 October 2017, 09:40
Moving Target

yes it was after the ground war cease fire about two weeks or less. I have read that there were detonations on March 10th and 13th, that would be about the same time.
Old 12 October 2017, 16:43
Preparing to defend

I, and two birds worth of crews were left in Rafha to find a SR team who hadn’t made contact since insertion on or about 27-28 February. The rest of the hawks and chinooks had redeployed to KCIA around that time. My crews and birds go to KCIA on or about 2 March for the next couple weeks.
Old 12 October 2017, 17:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
I'm not attempting to start a conspiracy theory here but I have a deep gnawing suspicion that Mefloquine is a primary contributing factor in large numbers of PTSD symptoms from the current conflicts. There are obvious, little spoken of reasons why it has moved down the list of prophylaxis and been prohibited during flight status.
I remember they shoved that shit on us when we were in the PI. Doc said it was for "possible parasites in the water" for when we were crawling around in the water, but I don't think he really knew what they were. Little white round pills. Thank god I spit that shit out when the SNCOs weren't looking --- old man taught me long ago to not take mysterious pills the govt gives you.

Our new posting rules