Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 October 2017, 20:34
Confirmed User

California Fires

The fires in CA are bad, My Daughter, Son-in-Law an Grand kids, live in the Napa area, Some of the best Wineries have gone up in flame.
Old 10 October 2017, 20:41
Confirmed User

If there are any members in the area that I could be of any to, please feel free to contact me via PM.
More than willing to take a couple of days off to assist.
Old 10 October 2017, 20:44
Authorized Personnel

Two things I hate are fires and floods because there is simply nothing you can do about them, but watch them approach.

Wildman, I hope they come out of this okay! My thoughts and prayers are certainly that they will.
Old 10 October 2017, 21:26
Anesthetized User

With a family member in the hospital for the next few days but I am free Friday on every weekend and can take some time off if needed.

PM me if needed.

ETA: 200 people are unaccounted for over the last 24 hours. But, they may have GTFO and not told anyone.

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 10 October 2017 at 21:32.
Old 10 October 2017, 23:35
Confirmed User

Prayers to those affected. Another detective in my unit has parents whose home was completely destroyed in the fire. Just a shit situation.
Old 11 October 2017, 03:51
Psalm 91:2

Wildman43 Prayers for your family and everyone else effected by the fires.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 11 October 2017, 03:52
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
With a family member in the hospital for the next few days but I am free Friday on every weekend and can take some time off if needed.

PM me if needed.

ETA: 200 people are unaccounted for over the last 24 hours. But, they may have GTFO and not told anyone.
Prayers for your family member. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 11 October 2017, 07:55
Been There Done That

Waiting to hear if my brother's house in Kenwood is still standing!
Old 11 October 2017, 13:11

Prayers & condolences to everyone here who may be affected by this. We don't know anyone directly affected by the fires (not yet, anyway.) We're looking into temporarily fostering some of the pets made homeless from these fires.

I live in Concord (south of Napa), and while Napa is really catching the brunt of all this, the smoke from the fires seems to be hitting everyone in the Bay Area pretty hard. We had a wind storm Monday night that pushed the smoke into and beyond our area. Sports programs are shutting down because of the air quality, and people with respiratory illnesses are really having a rough time.

Sadly, all that smoke in the air makes for some beautiful sunrises & sunsets.

~orca
Old 11 October 2017, 13:23
Anesthetized User

Things will get much worse today and tonight. Low humidity. Thankfully, temps will be low but that won't matter.

20MPH winds out of the North.

Support SOCNET.
Old 11 October 2017, 13:57

I'm on a deep diving job way up at the Don Pedro Dam in the Sierra Foothills on the way towards Yosemite, and it smells harsh even way down here. It could be from any of the incidents to the north of us.
I've got three friends who are waiting to hear if they still have houses to return to.
Prayers to all concerned.
Old 11 October 2017, 14:22
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBoss View Post
I'm on a deep diving job way up at the Don Pedro Dam in the Sierra Foothills on the way towards Yosemite, and it smells harsh even way down here. It could be from any of the incidents to the north of us.
I've got three friends who are waiting to hear if they still have houses to return to.
Prayers to all concerned.
The valley will be filled with smoke. Sacramento is the worst I have ever seen it. Smell of smoke throughout the hospital, and it's like being in an eclipse. I don't have numbers but more than a few Type-I, Type-II, Type-III Strike Teams have been sent from the region

Good fishing at Don Pedro. Trout love Chartreuse Power Bait.

Thanks for the thoughts Linda.

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 11 October 2017 at 14:30.
Old 12 October 2017, 07:33
Been There Done That

Thoughts and prayers out to all that are affected by this...not much of these fires are contained and the wind is picking up. Godpseed to those putting the water to flames.
Old 12 October 2017, 07:57
Been There Done That

My youngest daughter and son in law live and work in Healdsburg. He's a chef and she is the Office manager for some high end restaurant called Single Thread.

they have been advised so far NOT to evacuate by city officials, however told to be ready to move quickly if that changes. A family friend lives down near the fires and posted on Facebook that they were safe, so far, but the dairy next door burned to the ground.
Old 12 October 2017, 10:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
He's a chef and she is the Office manager for some high end restaurant called Single Thread.
I hope your daughter and SIL make it through this disaster unscathed. The restaurant they work at is quite famous and has a lot of really unique dining events such as showcasing chefs from other countries.
Old 12 October 2017, 10:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
I hope your daughter and SIL make it through this disaster unscathed. The restaurant they work at is quite famous and has a lot of really unique dining events such as showcasing chefs from other countries.
I know- the funny part is that they wanted HER, most of all, and he got a job there as a result; they moved from Chicago (thank God) to help open and work there.
Old 12 October 2017, 10:31
Been There Done That

This is sad. It is a beautiful part of the Country. My heart goes out to those that have lost. Few are actually well-off and well-insured up there. The Wife and I have stayed at that now destroyed Hilton. It was a nice little property.

BTW - a lot of this is preventable through solid fire prevention practices. Unfortunately the shitlibs won't allow the necessary brush clearing to keep properties safe. California has always burned in the Summer and Fall months. We used to have very large fire breaks across the hills. My last visit I saw very few.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 12 October 2017, 14:10
33,024 - R.I.P.

Santa Rosa is my hometown. My mother was evacuated Monday morning with a 3am knock on the door. She might be able to head back to her cond this afternoon. Other family members have been evac'd from the Bennett Valley area, and have headed to Petaluma for now.

My childhood neighborhood of Coffey Park, specifically Crestview Lane, is nothing but ashes now. Picture from the area look like Hiroshima after the bombing. When I was in high school, I worked at the Hilton (was Sheraton Round Barn back in the day), which is also in cinders. The Fulton Round Barn which has stood for nearly 100 years is gone as well. I used to take two weeks of leave when I was in the Navy, and would head up to Alderbrook Winery every harvest and work the tasting room.

I'm at a loss for all of the personal history and landmarks of my youth.
Old 12 October 2017, 14:32
Been There Done That

I saw the pictures of Coffey Park on Fox...utterly terrible. My prayers for your loss as well as the others affected by this tragedy.
Old 12 October 2017, 15:14
Confirmed User

I am in Livermore, about 80 miles from the affected area and have never seen such air quality.October is the dangerous month in this part of the world.Fires and Earth Quakes.

Our new posting rules