Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 October 2017, 14:29
killjoy

The problem with deterrents and why they don't work is because it's an equation of survival for the rodent. If they have a safe place, they will remain there no matter what. Unpleasant odors, etc. don't matter if the alternative is certain death in the open world. Once a nest is established the smell will always attract them because it's marked as a safe place.

Perhaps park your car facing the house and the hood being popped may appear that it's broken down and be less of a target for theft? You can always pull the EFI fuse and the crooks will be too stupid to figure it out and assume it's broken down and not in running condition when they hit the starter and it doesn't fire up.

As long as that engine bay is enclosed it will be a safe place for them. Nothing beats that safety when it comes to survival.

For chemical warfare, may I suggest plaster of paris mixed with sugar or cornmeal? Nice little treat that will turn their colon into cement. Keep the mixture out of reach from pets and after the rodent dies your dog can eat it safely and at worst, literally shit a brick.
Old 12 October 2017, 14:34
Old Scroll

KISS principle... forget electronics... a 5 gallon bucket half full of water, two mouse ramps, a spindle, and some peanut butter...

https://youtu.be/6SIlYiiCGLI

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 October 2017, 14:35
Confirmed User

Had the same issue with rodents etc. One time after a particularly messy repair i had spilled a bunch of oil and spread kitty litter around where the car had been parked. Long story short- I had to leave town on business the next day and the litter was left out. My roommates told me while I was gone they noticed that the rats/mice etc had been keeping away. So we left it there and spread some around the garage etc. Apparently the rodents smelled kitty litter and kept away. YMMV.

-SOTB
Old 12 October 2017, 16:53
Confirmed User

I am a service advisor for a ford dealership, call your local Honda(car) dealership and ask for parts department, they have a special tape that has chemicals and I think peppers in them https://www.ebay.com/i/201898955520?chn=ps&dispItem=1
this along with your local garden center has a spray to keep rodents out of gardens works also. good luck
Old 12 October 2017, 18:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet65 View Post
I am a service advisor for a ford dealership, call your local Honda(car) dealership and ask for parts department, they have a special tape that has chemicals and I think peppers in them https://www.ebay.com/i/201898955520?chn=ps&dispItem=1
this along with your local garden center has a spray to keep rodents out of gardens works also. good luck
Thanks. Even if it doesn't work I did get a chuckle out of this reviewer comment:
"Hot but not so hot. The electrical tape is of good quality and I like that it has little cutouts along the edge to aid in tearing. As far as how well it will work, only time will tell. OK, I admit it. I did chew a piece. I could feel the pepper just a little. It wasn't hot at all like I expected. Far, far less than tobasco sauce or a jalapeno. Maybe like a black pepper kernel. If I were a rat, I might have stopped chewing after a while to go get a drink. If I were a Mexican mouse, I'd probably come back for more.
Old 12 October 2017, 21:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I just genocide the fuckers....I went industrial death camp on them. The first couple nights were multi-kills, but it's tapered off. S/F...Ken M

http://www.victorpest.com/victor-mul...SABEgLQNvD_BwE
Awesome.

I don't get many mice but when I do I just use the sticky traps and throw something appetizing on there like an Oreo or something. I live in a townhome and they burrowed into wall in my 1/2 bath downstairs for a while.

I can't imagine loosing a vehicle to mice, where do you people live fricken Vietnam??
Old 12 October 2017, 22:34
#BlackRiflesMatter

Coyote urine will repel them, but it's a bitch to catch coyotes and "milk" 'em.

Or you can get it at online at P-Mart (I shit you not).

https://www.amazon.com/Pmart/b/ref=w...owse-bin=Pmart

We had same issue with rabbits.
Old 13 October 2017, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
KISS principle... forget electronics... a 5 gallon bucket half full of water, two mouse ramps, a spindle, and some peanut butter...

https://youtu.be/6SIlYiiCGLI
I have to try his roller idea. I tried with a peanut butter jar centered on a rod which worked fair.

His idea of leaving the bucket dry had to be a joke. The critters can jump a foot and a half.

I got 5 gallon buckets 1/2 full of water, throw a layer of sunflower seeds on the water, put a ramp up to the top for the mice and maybe sprinkle a few around the area to attract mice. This works for chipmunks, mice, and rats.

When I was in Wisconsin I caught 8 at one time when it was placed by a woodpile. Maybe put some antifreeze in it so they don't stink up the place, but that won't work if pets are around.
Old 13 October 2017, 03:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
My uncle had a late 1970s Jeep that got eaten up by an otter once. It chewed on hoses, belts, the rubber mud flap that rings the wheel well, etc. one Thursday night. He spent the next two nights sitting in his kids' tree house with a rifle watching the Jeep parked under the yard light. Saturday night he shot the otter and he never had the problem again. Why did the otter eat the Jeep? I dunno, I don't speak otter. Maybe I otter, though.
I've heard of guys having problems with otters trashing boats. Apparently the way to prevent this is to tune an AM radio to some talk station and let it run 24 hrs. Otters hear the voices and stay away.
Old 13 October 2017, 07:56

You could try spraying the access points down with fly bait. That stuff is just about as poisonous as it gets. They walk through it then lick their paws and wham, DRT.
Old 13 October 2017, 08:23
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
I've heard of guys having problems with otters trashing boats. Apparently the way to prevent this is to tune an AM radio to some talk station and let it run 24 hrs. Otters hear the voices and stay away.
I do this in my shop to keep out skunks. Not 100% foolproof, but the population has been down.
Old 13 October 2017, 09:13
Authorized Personnel

I use the bucket of water with the roller in the wood shed.

I had neighbors who had free range chickens, they attracted Norway rats. After the local fox, coyote, bobcats and fisher had removed all the free ranging chicken, the rats decided my shed was a great place to live. I shot 10 or 15 over a year, still had rats. I'd see them scurry every time I went in the shed. Removed all edible stuff, got rid of the bird feeder, still had rats. I mentioned to a friend that I had a rat infestation. He told me to catch one in a live trap and use a propane torch to "singe it really good" and turn it loose, so I caught one and singed it, but not good enough. The second one was "well singed" when I released it. I have not seen a rat since that day.
Old 13 October 2017, 09:29
Old Scroll

Singed live scarecrows to tell the tale might be as good as dead ones... I used the PotA model for a squirrelcrow in DC as we were being literally overrun by those little bastards.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 13 October 2017, 10:48
Midgetologist

I put cat hair around where I park.
Old 13 October 2017, 15:29
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
I shot 10 or 15 over a year, still had rats. I'd see them scurry every time I went in the shed. Removed all edible stuff, got rid of the bird feeder, still had rats. I mentioned to a friend that I had a rat infestation. He told me to catch one in a live trap and use a propane torch to "singe it really good" and turn it loose, so I caught one and singed it, but not good enough. The second one was "well singed" when I released it. I have not seen a rat since that day.
When I had it bad, I would sometimes shoot 3 or 4 in a single night. Can't imagine my total count for the year.

One of our problems was the dog food being left in places the rats felt comfortable going to and depend on as a food source. Moving the food into a well-lit area near the sleeping dogs helped with that.

Rats will each other. I once shot one in the wood shed and left it because I was tired. Next day it was half eaten.

Interesting idea about singing the rat and releasing it, I might give that a try in the future.
Old 13 October 2017, 15:51
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
I mentioned to a friend that I had a rat infestation. He told me to catch one in a live trap and use a propane torch to "singe it really good" and turn it loose, so I caught one and singed it, but not good enough. The second one was "well singed" when I released it. I have not seen a rat since that day.
So, is it a sign of sociopathy to enjoy that idea!? (maybe too much).

Had a rat in my backporch workbench. Opened the bottom drawer to find the little fucker's home...complete with the "little" (10" long) beady-eyed MF looking up and hissing at me.

I jumped back, and the wife (Cambodian) who was sweeping laughed at me and says "you're not afraid of a little rat, are you?"

Hell yes, I said, they carry Hunta virus and all kinds of shit. And now he's FU all my tools in that drawer.

So, I go to Ace, and spend $14 on what the lady said was "pet safe" rat poison (and bleach for the tools). Fucking pet safe alright, after a week I start to wonder WTF is this rat still alive? I take a closer look at the package to realize I bought live-trap BAIT! I've been fattening up this little bastard on $14 gourmet rat food. And probably calling in all his buddies.

So, this time I buy $15 dollars worth of the "rat-sized" mousetraps. A little peanut butter and no more rats.

We only "accidentally" killed one rabbit when the wife moved the trap (why do wives always have to move shit?) from under the workbench to the middle of the goddam backyard. By sheer luck, it was the rabbit that got snapped instead of our dog's face.

Last edited by Tycon; 13 October 2017 at 16:06.
Old 13 October 2017, 17:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I wonder if NPR wouldn't work even better...
Old 13 October 2017, 18:00
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
My understanding of the situation is that the eighth amendment to the US Constitution says NO, you can't use that method. PETA agrees.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 13 October 2017, 19:58
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Exactly^...because he wants them gone...not sleeping in his driveway.
Old 13 October 2017, 20:15

Quote:
Turn it on to CNN or another libby station and they will go out and hang themselves.

Our new posting rules