Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > How Not to Post

Old 17 January 2005, 20:28
WALTON C.
Visitor

French Foreign Legion?

Ok I have read just about as much as I can on the French Foreign Legion. Theres not a lot on this site but this site is just about the only thing I trust anymore. I was woundering if anyone on here knows the deal on the F.F.L. I have heard so many "stories" about guys being treated badly to its a good thing this and that. To yes the F.F.L. is still up and running today to they ended it back in the 90'S,80'S and so on. Thers not a lot said about it on here that is the only reason I am asking about it that and I know a few guys that is all they talk about were going to join the F.F.L. yad yad yad. Guess the U.S. Military was not good enough for them??
Can anyone help me out on this one??

Thanks for any usefull info guys.
Old 17 January 2005, 20:45
Forget Not

Google is your friend. Seems it is still alive and kicking.

French Foreign Legion Webpage

"Sometimes you can be stupid faster than you can be supervised." - Gary T.
Old 17 January 2005, 20:53
WALTON C.
Visitor

Why Thank you Sir that just solved all my Probs. I now know Everthing.... Well almost LOL

Thanks again
Old 17 January 2005, 20:57
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally posted by Shamus375PA
Google is your friend. Seems it is still alive and kicking....
LOL. It appears that WALTON C. has a history of problems with searching and finding answers for himself....
Old 17 January 2005, 21:01
WALTON C.
Visitor

Yeah I read and look around I type things in and read books. I am so sorry I am not as freckin computer literit as some of you guys are. Maybe I should stop everything I am doing and go to Computer school so I can use the internet like you smart people. SIR!!

Sorry I am not a NERD with a key board.SIR!
Old 17 January 2005, 21:04
Going back

If we rejected every RFI that could be solved using google our bandwidth would cost less than a hooker in Tijuana.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 17 January 2005, 21:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally posted by WALTON C.
Yeah I read and look around I type things in and read books. I am so sorry I am not as freckin computer literit as some of you guys are. Maybe I should stop everything I am doing and go to Computer school so I can use the internet like you smart people. SIR!!

You've been a member here sice last July. By now, you should have lurked on this board long enough to know that asking questions regarding information that is fairly easily found is not tolerated very well, and indicates in inability to think for yourself.

Furthermore, Southoftheborder is a moderator and has done the things you aspire to do, yet you have replied to him in a smart-assed manner. This, also, is not tolerated. I would suggest you retract your statement posthaste and submit an appology.
Old 17 January 2005, 21:09
Going back

Quote:

Are you fucking retarded? Popping off to SOTB like that?

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 17 January 2005, 21:13
WALTON C.
Visitor

Yes Sir it was ment to be a smart ass remark. Every time someone myself included ask a question that you guys can help with we get told we fools and "retards" and to use your damn head yad yad yad SIR. Well uh. I use ever way I know to look up this subject and thats why I came on here and asked. I am so sorry I did not use that google thing. Maybe when I go through basic training they will teach it to me SIR??? Till then I guess I am just screwed. Sorry I ask questions when I dont know the answer.SIR!
Old 17 January 2005, 21:19
Authorized Personnel

check this out too:

http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/

again... the google admonishment stands:
Old 17 January 2005, 21:24
Authorized Personnel

This is not About.com

This is not Military.com

This website was not founded to answer questions for young men interested in the French Foreign Legion.

You are a guest on a website founded for and populated by men who have done the things you aspire to, and yet you disrespect them when you are told to do a simple internet search?
Old 17 January 2005, 21:34

Quote:

Two things, stud.

One, in the vein you are utilizing "sir", I have to point out that I would not rate that title. I state that as I think you are utilizing it in a military titling manner (versus as one civvie to another), and I never reached the rank where that would have been the appropriate manner in which to address me.

Two, when utilizing a title to address someone, and you do so sarcastically, you (in some manner) degrade the respect and prestige of others who have obtained the right to utilize that title.

For example.

Imagine that you were angry at medical care you had received in "X" hospital. You are dealing with the orderly who is telling you that you need to pay the cashier in order to leave the hospital. You answer sarcastically some response and end it with a sarcastic "Doctor!". Much in the same manner in which you referred to myself as "SIR!".

Now other people in the room already know that the orderly is not a doctor, and assume that you are a fucking idiot for not being able to figure that out on your own (in my case, you would have had to read my profile AND probably a few of my previous posts to figure that out, but since you claim to "read", maybe you had already done this?). Furthermore, the orderly you referred to is probably quite proud of what job he is fullfilling and doesn't think that your "promoting him" is really necessary or even desired. Even more, he recognizes the sarcasm in your voice and decides that on your way out, he might just spend an extra minute or two on your file/case to ensure that you recognized that orderlies are also necessary -- as well as to emphasize to you that treating him in that manner is not to be tolerated in the future. Finally, a couple of doctors are walking through the hall and hear you refer to someone who is not a doctor as a doctor, but in a VERY degrading manner. They get a case of the ass and head back to their rounds thinking of what a little prissy, snot-nosed punk-assed runt you are. Ironically enough, it appears that you haven't yet finished with all of your medical care (you had only thought you had -- when in reality, your inexperience, immaturity, and plain being a dumbfuck left you without the ability to recognize that you might still be at the whim of those in this facility. Lo and behold, you have an interesting encounter with one of these doctors who proceeds to ensure that you recognize the importance of not shitting on a title they worked so fucking hard to obtain. As well as reinforce to you that your little-boy, done-nothing self is quite overdrawn in your sarcasm-issuing account.

In short, fuck off. Assclown.

THAT title is one which won't irritate or cause dismay in others when I utilize it to describe you. See how the titling concept functions?
Old 17 January 2005, 21:34
DOL

Red face

Mon petit

The actual recruiting website of the Legion Entragere is at http://www.br-legion.com/ang/default.htm (English version - French is at http://www.br-legion.com/). I found this by typing "French Foreign Legion recruiting into Google (http://www.google.com).

I think you should get a passport (http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html); take a plane to Paris (http://www.orbitz.com) and go to the Legion Entrangere recruiting station at FORT DE NOGENT; 94120 FONTENAY SOUS BOIS; TEL (33) 0 148 774 968 (http://www.br-legion.com/ang/default.htm) and enlist.

That's the best way to learn. By actually doing.

Of course, this computer internet search shit is so hard that a 50 year old dinosaur like me, that cut his teeth on acetate, grease pencils, stenographic stencil masters; ditto machines; manual typewriters and writing shit out in long hand can figure it out - without one single second of 'computer classes'.
\

Oh, mon petit, having insulted SOTB, you may address me as 'mon Commandant' as practice or just as "Sir", but without the sarcasm, si vous satisferiez.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ODA 564; 17 January 2005 at 21:53.
Old 17 January 2005, 22:17
WALTON C.
Visitor

Well so sorry to call someone Sir. When I should not have. I was rasied to call everyone older than myself Sir. I am sorry I cant look at you and tell if i should do so or not. And in a military manner. I am not in the Military yet so with respect to everyone that is. I call everyone in uniform Sir. Or Mama.

Back to the google thing. Sorry I dont use the search thing like everyone on here. If I got a question and think someone or someone's can help me with it I ask. I am not some guy that cant stand to ask quetions if he does not know the answer. That is why I asked.

This is a forum for people to talk on and tak about things? Corect? I was only asking becuse many of the people on here work in the same kind of feilds as the F.F.L. or at lest that is what I have been told by former military personal. So being that this site caters to military personal I figured I might get an answer or at least be pointed in the area I need to go.

To the personal that have helped with what I asked. Thank you. to everyone eles.. Whatever!
Old 17 January 2005, 22:26

Quote:
Well so sorry to blah, blah, blah, etc....

To the personal that have helped with what I asked. Thank you. to everyone eles.. Whatever!
Here's the deal, little one. You are a sarcastic little stain who is incapable of pulling off a decent sarcastic insult OR recognize when you have stepped on your peepee.

Guess what? You go right on thinking that you have the same weight and rights as others on this board.

You got your crank slapped sometime back when you posted on the Ranger forum. You obviously are not one to quickly learn. But that is OK.

You'll be riding a very pretty helo soon. Just stand over there while I get everything set up for you.

As you are one of our "special" clients, I want you to feel comfortable that, just as in your daily trips to school on the "special bus", we have "special" accomodations for transporting you out of here as well.

So long fuckstick....
Old 17 January 2005, 22:30
Violent Social Worker

Try googling "manners".
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 18 January 2005, 02:27
Administrator

We don't tolerate insolence toward our moderators from anyone, much less some kid who hasnt even spent his first day in the military yet. You have been subtly warned several times. If you choose to re-register, I suggest you come back with an attitude change. If not, next time I will make it permanent. Goodbye.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate