Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 25 August 2012, 23:32
Confirmed User

Elk lost
Old 25 August 2012, 23:35
Been There Done That

After too many years making the annual prep and scheduling vacation days, am finally living the dream in my lodge in the middle of my own woods, half a dozen permanent stands, watch the wildlife year round, take what I want when I want (still by DNR rules). Focusing on the coyotes and fisher this year for some fur.
Old 26 August 2012, 00:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Oh wait, Anadarko just bought out our lease in South Texas. Guess I won't be doing any hunting this year. FML.
same boat.
We'd relied mainly on two friends places
one down near Goliad, another up around Huntsville.
both are a no-go now, so instead of hunting for tasty things, I'm hunting for a lease itself, likely people I don't know

ETA: same boat except for blowing 5 or 6 G's on a shiny new rifle only to have it collect dust. Dang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
am finally living the dream in my lodge in the middle of my own woods, half a dozen permanent stands, watch the wildlife year round, take what I want when I want (still by DNR rules). Focusing on the coyotes and fisher this year for some fur.
damn right that's a dream. Admittedly jealous - I'll follow suit one day, if everyone hasn't already snapped up all the good land.
Old 26 August 2012, 00:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
That's right by me....if I was home.
You try to tag anything there?
Old 26 August 2012, 01:32
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
You try to tag anything there?
I didn't even know you could hunt there. I know you can fish and hunt on Camp Roberts, you should look into that. Besides, my deer hunting experience is very limited. I mostly shoot quail and dove.
Old 26 August 2012, 03:54
Livin' On Blues Power

Quote:
I didn't even know you could hunt there. I know you can fish and hunt on Camp Roberts, you should look into that. Besides, my deer hunting experience is very limited. I mostly shoot quail and dove.
Camp Bob has been closed to hunting & fishing for over a year now, they are doing a big construction project on the installation. Word is they might open this fall or next spring.

Fort Hunter Liggett is another great fort to hunt pigs, deer, quail and coyotes. It's been tough to get on lately because of a lot of training areas being closed due to heavy training.
Old 26 August 2012, 10:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
There is a shitload of quail on VAFB.

Once you buy your hunting permit to hunt on base (Have to support AAFES), check in at the beginning of the season, you then check into your area and out by phone. You used to have to go to the game wardens shack to check into and out of or change areas. The only time you have to go now is when you harvest a deer or pig. They weigh it and collect data on it.

I just wish I was closer. 5+ hours IIRC.
Old 26 August 2012, 15:09
Authorized Personnel

Hot Mess and Spectre, it sounds like you are in my old stomping grounds. Cuesta Grade has some good forest on the North side and it goes all the way to Pozo. Some tough country, but worth it. I took some good bucks out there back in the day. Pozo has a lot of forest access.
Old 26 August 2012, 21:05
The Copenhagen Kid

Quote:
Camp Roberts.
I know Hunter Liggett is good but it's a little too far north for me just to try my luck. VAFB is about half the distance.

Go get your motherfuckin' shine box.
Old 26 August 2012, 21:35
Confirmed User

Saw few does today up around hood,1 @ 60, to early to whack a doe
Partner kicked up herd of elk same area
Old 26 August 2012, 21:36
Nurse Ratched

Looks like the hurricane will be working its way up to KY by the weekend just in time for opening weekend of bow season that I took off. FML

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 26 August 2012, 23:01

I've been working for this deer season since the end of the last one! 12 stands are ready to be hunted, a box blind is erected and there is a failed food plot in my field.
Old 26 August 2012, 23:21
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
Hot Mess and Spectre, it sounds like you are in my old stomping grounds. Cuesta Grade has some good forest on the North side and it goes all the way to Pozo. Some tough country, but worth it. I took some good bucks out there back in the day. Pozo has a lot of forest access.
They have had some bear in the area for quite some time now as well, but I am not aware of any tags for them, then again I haven't looked into it.

You are right, there is a lot of game in the area. I have a friend that owns a vineyard back off of 41 towards Creston, and he is starting to get bucks back on his property

I like Pozo. It's nice out there.
Old 26 August 2012, 23:23
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
I know Hunter Liggett is good but it's a little too far north for me just to try my luck. VAFB is about half the distance.
LOL, HL is far for me and I live close

I should be home for Quail this year. I don't know how the hatch was due to low rail fall but I could make it down there for a L/U.

Forestboy?
Old 27 August 2012, 01:38
Livin' On Blues Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
Pozo is great country to hunt. Last time I was up there I called a turkey up for a buddy who was new to bowhunting then and the damn bird came in to his off side and he couldn't get a shot. 2 weeks later I had 3 toms thundering in front of him at 10 yards at FHL, a freaking chip shot right. Take your pick. He was shaking so bad he shanked the shot right between 2 of the longbeards. He was hooked and still talks about that morning. Last week of that season a cougar stalked him at FHL in area 7 right at dusk. His glasses fogged up and I saw him come walking over the hill backwards with his bow at full draw. Took awhile for the bourbon to calm him down that night. Naturally I snuck up behind him the next day with a peacock screamer call, boy about soiled himself.
Old 27 August 2012, 11:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
LOL, HL is far for me and I live close

I should be home for Quail this year. I don't know how the hatch was due to low rail fall but I could make it down there for a L/U.

Forestboy?
We got pretty good rain here (In the last 2-3 weeks) but it was a tad bit late for the quail hatch. I am hopeful that some of the areas close got enough to provide some work for my Llewellyyn. She is getting fat staring at the ground squirrels in the back yard.

I'll get out and do some scouting in the next couple weeks.

You got an estimated return date?
Old 27 August 2012, 13:00
Been There Done That

Gun (I use a muzzle loader) season starts November 17th out my way. So far a ton of doe, as per SOP, a few small bucks, and a decent 8 point are hanging around.
Old 27 August 2012, 13:46
Confirmed User

Got my bow permit for the first time this year. Between bow, rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader, big game season from October 1 - January 31. Pretty cool.

Going to set up the treestand this weekend.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C.S. Lewis
Old 27 August 2012, 17:45
Confirmed User

Buddy shot a little fork this morning 70yd shot ,workin herd of elk now
Has a few bulls, the herd bull hasn't showed yet
Old 27 August 2012, 22:03
Confirmed User

I took my youngest with me on a scouting trip last week. Found three dead elk, and wolf tracks everywhere in an area where I should have seen mucho wapiti.

I am skeptical for elk this year, but I can buy 5 wolf tags!

I too have hunted Camp Pen., and FHL, both were awesome for deer and quail. FHL had a pretty good pig population too.

Our new posting rules