Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 9 October 2013, 20:09
BTDT

Glock 10mm

Quote:
Before you go and buy a 1911 10 MM, cover some of the reading that I covered....the Glocks are the only mass-produced guns other than the Brens that are designed to carry the cartridge pressure from the ground up. The 1911 variants are all considered retrofitted.
Going to concur w/DH. I know that hurts

Bill Wilson might argue w/me on that one; but, he hasn't been shoot'n 10mms, as long as I have either.

Good shooting
Old 9 October 2013, 22:23
The Sagacious One

I am a man of many Glocks. I have been looking for a deal and a G 20 SF is at the top of the list.

I like the long slide version as well.
Old 10 October 2013, 15:02
Been There Done That

Well, I am really liking my new Glock 21 SF. So a 20 SF maybe also on my very short list. I am starting to think the Glock 20 SF maybe the ultimate wilderness carry gun. I would trust it more with a bear encounter than I would with a .44 mag or .454 mag (as I can't hit crap with those wheel guns when I shoot). But a mag of 14 rounds of 10mm? Cat's meow there. (of course, if knew bear was in the midst, would grap by 45-70 Thumper instead)
Old 10 October 2013, 15:56
Midgetologist

How hard is it to convert a .45 1911 to 10mm?

I have a stock Officers model that I would like to convert maybe.

I figure barrel,bushing,mags maybe extractor?I run the #24 Wilson springs in it now.
Old 11 October 2013, 19:27
BTDT

10mm

Quote:
How hard is it to convert a .45 1911 to 10mm?

I have a stock Officers model that I would like to convert maybe.

I figure barrel,bushing,mags maybe extractor?I run the #24 Wilson springs in it now.
Not "graduate level" work; but, your going to incur enough $ to buy a stock G20/G29.

To, come to the conclusion; that, you beat the piss out of/damaged/broke your gun by running "real" 10mm ammo through it.

I know. The 1911 platform is comfortable. You like it. I do also. But, "high end" 10mm ain't no: .38 ACP/.45 ACP/.38 Super. Hard reality.

Good shooting
Old 11 October 2013, 19:55
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
Not "graduate level" work; but, your going to incur enough $ to buy a stock G20/G29.

To, come to the conclusion; that, you beat the piss out of/damaged/broke your gun by running "real" 10mm ammo through it.

I know. The 1911 platform is comfortable. You like it. I do also. But, "high end" 10mm ain't no: .38 ACP/.45 ACP/.38 Super. Hard reality.

Good shooting
I am officially intrigued by this round. You say I should get a G 20 as opposed to a 1911 in 10mm?

As I only own Glocks and 1911's this is an easy choice, but none the less a choice.
Old 11 October 2013, 20:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am officially intrigued by this round. You say I should get a G 20 as opposed to a 1911 in 10mm?
You're going to break 45 GAP's heart when your thoughts of infidelity become actions. 45 GAP will try to rationalize your newfound obsession with 10mm, with statements like "Well, we were never exclusive, anyway, he always had other calibers." In the end, it won't matter, as you and 45 GAP will drift apart.
Old 11 October 2013, 20:46
BTDT

Glock 10mm

Quote:
Yep.

This side of stopping someone from killing you, I say take your carry gun & load hog hunting. It's either DRT or it runs off. Rather simple.

Cutting paper & time are your part. Check your cartridge's/bullet's performance on a hog.

Plenty around (ie piglets don't count)

Good shooting
Old 12 October 2013, 09:05
Midgetologist

Quote:

Good shooting
Thank you for the info sir.Might have to look into a G29.

TFG,EAA Witness is also chambered for 10mm FYI.I do not know much about them though.
Old 12 October 2013, 11:45
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Thank you for the info sir.Might have to look into a G29.

TFG,EAA Witness is also chambered for 10mm FYI.I do not know much about them though.
GPC,

I have owned Witnesses in the past, but have moved them fairly quickly. They just do not light my fire. Too big of a grip for 10 shots. I am looking for a Gen 3 G 20 SF or Gen 4 G 20. I am also considering a Kimber in 10mm.

Here is my trading material.......

A Kimber Pro TLE II RL with VZ grips and Kimber Magwell.

Old 12 October 2013, 13:49
Administrator

Quote:
You say I should get a G 20 as opposed to a 1911 in 10mm?
Look at posts 31 and 41. Yes, that is what we are saying.

Damn SF ossifers....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 12 October 2013, 18:05
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
You're going to break 45 GAP's heart when your thoughts of infidelity become actions. 45 GAP will try to rationalize your newfound obsession with 10mm, with statements like "Well, we were never exclusive, anyway, he always had other calibers." In the end, it won't matter, as you and 45 GAP will drift apart.
My 45 GAP's will always be faithful. Besides I have way too much brass and powder to renig on them now.

(Where did you bury that damn pistol? I dug up the dead pony yesterday looking for it)
Old 12 October 2013, 18:06
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Yep.

This side of stopping someone from killing you, I say take your carry gun & load hog hunting. It's either DRT or it runs off. Rather simple.

Cutting paper & time are your part. Check your cartridge's/bullet's performance on a hog.

Plenty around (ie piglets don't count)

Good shooting

I have a Glock 21 SF. What say ye about a conversion Kit? I am not against buying the entire gun.
Old 12 October 2013, 18:19
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy
(Where did you bury that damn pistol? I dug up the dead pony yesterday looking for it)
Ahh! I think its right next to the pony (from the loose dirt I found burying the ammo). Oh, my wallet fell in the hole I stuffed the ammo can when I was filling it in, would you be a wonderful person and send that to me?
Old 12 October 2013, 21:09
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Ahh! I think its right next to the pony (from the loose dirt I found burying the ammo). Oh, my wallet fell in the hole I stuffed the ammo can when I was filling it in, would you be a wonderful person and send that to me?
Think you'll need that condom from high school this weekend?
Old 13 October 2013, 09:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
I have a Glock 21 SF. What say ye about a conversion Kit? I am not against buying the entire gun.
Ed, if you want to use the 10MM as a true 10MM and not a
.40 S&W buy a Glock not a 1911. You can convert your 21 and get hooked then start buying 20's 29'c etc. they are outstanding for a woods/car pistol. Capiticy, SD, penetration are all outstanding. Recoil is very easy to control in the Glocks, the 1911's not so much. I got my first 10MM in 1988 as a departure gift fom the rest of the instructors at SFUWO ( Colt Delta Elite ) so I have shot and carried both and the Glock 20sf is just a easier weapon to shoot rapidly. I still love1911's but in .45ACP the round the great JMB designed it for.
Old 16 October 2013, 22:12
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstag1/75 View Post
Ed, if you want to use the 10MM as a true 10MM and not a
.40 S&W buy a Glock not a 1911. You can convert your 21 and get hooked then start buying 20's 29'c etc. they are outstanding for a woods/car pistol. Capiticy, SD, penetration are all outstanding. Recoil is very easy to control in the Glocks, the 1911's not so much. I got my first 10MM in 1988 as a departure gift fom the rest of the instructors at SFUWO ( Colt Delta Elite ) so I have shot and carried both and the Glock 20sf is just a easier weapon to shoot rapidly. I still love1911's but in .45ACP the round the great JMB designed it for.
Look who it is.....

Delta Elite? I got a 6" S&W 586. I am thinking a Gen 4 G 20 or a Gen 3 G 20 SF.

I have a 21 SF. Is the conversion as easy as a barrel and mag change? RSA? Extractor?

Good GOD man I need answers (Welcome back as well)
Old 19 November 2013, 20:47

Glock

I have A Glock 29 Gen4 the 10mm round is awesome. Round is about the same size as the .40 but the velocity is greatly improved. I heard this was originally made for the FBI but most agents couldnt hack it.
Old 19 November 2013, 22:41
Been There Done That

I love my G21SF; I learned to shoot a pistol using a 1911 and still prefer the G21SF.
Old 19 November 2013, 23:12
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well, I am really liking my new Glock 21 SF. So a 20 SF maybe also on my very short list. I am starting to think the Glock 20 SF maybe the ultimate wilderness carry gun. I would trust it more with a bear encounter than I would with a .44 mag or .454 mag (as I can't hit crap with those wheel guns when I shoot). But a mag of 14 rounds of 10mm? Cat's meow there. (of course, if knew bear was in the midst, would grab my 45-70 Thumper instead)
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Danish Army issues Glock 10mm's to their folks who work in the Arctic as a PDW against polar bears. Much as I like my Delta Elite I have to admit if I was in their shoes, in that environment and with that threat I would want a G20 SF also.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

Our new posting rules