Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 4 December 2014, 11:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Not where I was going with all this personally, but I'm seriously curious about what I asked.How bad things will get danger wise, and will folks stay?
With bases of U.S. and NATO forces reduced to just a few and the propensity of the ANA/ANP to take bribes or just get scared and turn the other way, you can bet it will get worse for contractors sitting on those bases and for them driving the limited routes in-between locations.

IMO This allows the small number of Taliban to focus on a few locations vise spread out over the entire country, as well as move more freely without U.S. and NATO forces disrupting their plans, resupply and movements as before.
Old 4 December 2014, 16:53
Confirmed User

I thought this was going to be large contract. The RFI mentioned between 500 to 600 armed guards for KAF with a January 2015 standup time frame.
Like many of us on Socnet, I have been to KAF and because of it's size I thought a large security force would be needed. At this time I have not heard of any other security contracts being awarded for KAF.
Old 10 December 2014, 02:06
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I know several good locations in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia where one can chill, relax, live a 4-5 star style life, for under $1,000 month. An option for those considering this type of contract. Do the contract, then fly over to one of these locations, (PM me if interested), and chill out next to a pool, for a month, before heading back to the USA. As I have advised many, weigh what you will spend on a month or two long vacation overseas, versus what you will pay in taxes if come back to the USA early.
Lol, I just suggested this exact thing in another thread. Its a great idea for those with a month or 2 to burn or for the single guys.

I've been back to the states only to pass through CRC since 2011.

a good idea to burn some time before going back to the States and to save your tax money, try going to a Muay Thai gym in Thailand. They're all over. Spend 1-1.5k a month, learn something, get in fit shape, travel a bit.

Hell, meet a sweet local girl and take her with you to relax on one of the small islands like Koh Lanta, Koh Samet, Koh Chang.

Payrates for static contracts might be really low these days, but still totally worth it if you know what you're doing with your finances and have a backpacker's spirit.
Old 19 May 2015, 16:24

is this still open?

Hey tommyboy is this still open?
Old 19 May 2015, 16:51
#AllLionsMatter

Lightbulb Hello bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatvet View Post
Hey tommyboy is this still open?
Did you read your "initial" reply about this site?

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 22 May 2015, 17:58

Is this still open Tommy boy?
Old 22 May 2015, 18:00

Not sure where I'd read that
Old 22 May 2015, 18:07
Been There Done That

I think it's time to read more and post less.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 23 May 2015, 21:23

Im sure I'm just another qualified vet looking for a good contracting job. No need for your smart remarks guy. I'm new to this site still getting it all figured out.
Old 23 May 2015, 21:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
...still getting it all figured out.
Read the instructions in your welcome email.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 23 May 2015, 21:30
Administrator

Quote:
Im sure I'm just another qualified vet looking for a good contracting job. No need for your smart remarks guy. I'm new to this site still getting it all figured out.
I suggest you get yourself up to speed quickly.
Old 23 May 2015, 22:04
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatvet
Im sure I'm just another qualified vet looking for a good contracting job....
And pissing people off right from the onset -- fortunately you're qualified, so you've got that going for you....
Old 9 December 2015, 16:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
With bases of U.S. and NATO forces reduced to just a few and the propensity of the ANA/ANP to take bribes or just get scared and turn the other way, you can bet it will get worse for contractors sitting on those bases and for them driving the limited routes in-between locations.
Quote:
Not where I was going with all this personally, but I'm seriously curious about what I asked.How bad things will get danger wise, and will folks stay?
Well, I wonder how things are going out there now? Good luck to anybody out there, but we knew this was coming and it won't be the last.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/world/asia/afghanistan-kandahar-suicide-bombers.html?_r=0
Old 10 December 2015, 12:24
NKDA

Quote:
As I understand it, the ANP/ANA stood their ground and fought against a complex attack. Not much more anyone could ask for...
Old 10 December 2015, 13:14
Administrator

Quote:
Is this still open Tommy boy?
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124026

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 10 December 2015, 15:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
As I understand it, the ANP/ANA stood their ground and fought against a complex attack. Not much more anyone could ask for...
Sorry, from the BBC story I initially read: "Correspondents say the attack is a huge security failure because the attackers were able to smuggle weapons into an area supposed to have been made secure by the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF)."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35043938
Old 11 December 2015, 13:30
NKDA

Quote:
Sorry, from the BBC story I initially read: "Correspondents say the attack is a huge security failure because the attackers were able to smuggle weapons into an area supposed to have been made secure by the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF)."

Ah. Gotchya. Fair enough.

From everything else I've read, I think that one comment may be erroneous - especially consider the fact that it's a reporter saying it. I haven't seen anything else about "smuggling" weapons in.

Heck, even in the same story you posted, it states "insurgents were dressed in military uniform and were equipped with light and heavy weaponry...They breached the first gate and then entered an old school building, trading fire with security forces." Far from smuggling.

I don't mean to be coming off as oppositional here but I spent quite a bit of time in that AO and worked allot with ANA/ANP/ABP. They are not all shitbags and Taliban sympathizers, and I get tired of hearing it. From what else I've seen, it sounds like they fought their asses off. The "first" gates at KAF are far from the actual airport itself, and in the end, the attack was repelled - no insurgents made it to the airfield, and they were all killed. Far from a "huge security failure" IMO.
Old 11 December 2015, 15:12
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
Ah. Gotchya. Fair enough.

From everything else I've read, I think that one comment may be erroneous - especially consider the fact that it's a reporter saying it. I haven't seen anything else about "smuggling" weapons in.

Heck, even in the same story you posted, it states "insurgents were dressed in military uniform and were equipped with light and heavy weaponry...They breached the first gate and then entered an old school building, trading fire with security forces." Far from smuggling.

I don't mean to be coming off as oppositional here but I spent quite a bit of time in that AO and worked allot with ANA/ANP/ABP. They are not all shitbags and Taliban sympathizers, and I get tired of hearing it. From what else I've seen, it sounds like they fought their asses off. The "first" gates at KAF are far from the actual airport itself, and in the end, the attack was repelled - no insurgents made it to the airfield, and they were all killed. Far from a "huge security failure" IMO.
Exactly. Taliban is going to do their thing, and the security forces did their job. Too bad many of them died doing it, but it could have been another camp bastion event and much worse. More civilians on this airfield
Old 11 December 2015, 22:25

Having spent a lot of time with the ANSF as well, I have been exceptionally impressed by many of them, especially the Panjshiris. They will fight and do so on an almost daily basis.
Old 14 December 2015, 10:29
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:

The Kandahar "airfield" is a different entity from the Kandahar "airport".

There is a limit to compassion.

Our new posting rules