Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 19 December 2014, 14:54
Corpsman Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Gents, using either Wilson or Chip McCormick 8 round mags. Every now and then it will fail to completely go into battery (nothing "tap/rack" doesn't fix), or on a fresh magazine it will fail to feed the first round as I manually rack the slide to load the first round (and I'm definitely not "riding" the slide home). Always ran well lubed.

This has happened with ball practice ammo, not defensive ammo.
Just a suggestion, order a bit heavier Recoil Spring. I've had this issue before and it was resolved with a new spring maybe 2# heavier (16# to 18.5#). Depending on how many rounds you already have downrange, it could be "time". As I am sure you are aware, the recoil spring in a 1911 is like changing the oil in your car. I change mine every 2500-3000 rounds, personal preference.
Old 19 December 2014, 14:55
BTDT

I've got a Wilson, two Nighthawks, a Springfield PRO, an STI 9mm, two stock Colts to go with one from the Colt custom shop, and a full custom gun built for USPSA single stack in .40. The least reliable is the USPSA gun, but that is partly because it was built in .40. My NH GRP has the most rounds through it. All the .45s are reliable as long as I keep them reasonably cleaned and lubed, use good mags (Wilson, Tripp or CMC) with good mag springs and change the guns' springs.
Old 19 December 2014, 14:56
Corpsman Up!

Double Tap - Sorry.
Old 19 December 2014, 15:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
AZ,I was just looking at the papers with my Wilson's from the 2001 time frame and it had a list of recommended ammo.

I agree with other posters try diffent ammo.I didn't know the CQB comes with a FLG now.
I'm not a fan of them myself intend to replace the one in my Protector with their flat wire kit.
Do the new Wilson's still come with shock buffers?That might be a factor?Take it off and try that too?
Mine came with a full length guide rod. The buffer was the first thing to get tossed the first time I disassembled it! Lol! I think I just need to break down and buy the parts to replace the guide rod with the original parts designed by St. Browning...
Old 19 December 2014, 15:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck1031 View Post
Just a suggestion, order a bit heavier Recoil Spring. I've had this issue before and it was resolved with a new spring maybe 2# heavier (16# to 18.5#). Depending on how many rounds you already have downrange, it could be "time". As I am sure you are aware, the recoil spring in a 1911 is like changing the oil in your car. I change mine every 2500-3000 rounds, personal preference.
Put a new #17 in it before the last range trip, and maybe 200 rounds downrange that trip (had a couple of hangups on the feed ramp when manually dropping the slide on a full mag, but no other issues). I think I like the idea of a slightly heavier spring. Think I'll try out a #18.5.
Old 19 December 2014, 15:15
Been There Done That

By the way Leopardprey, great thread. One of the best we have had in the Weapons section in a while. Lots of good info going on.
Old 19 December 2014, 16:26
Been There Done That

I have to admit, this Ed Brown Special Forces with the "battle Bronze" color is pretty sweet looking. Heard they replaced out their "Cast" parts now also, such as their thumb safeties, with stronger forged parts. So maybe would not have that issue with a cracked safety I had before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index_25-index_24_over.jpg (38.8 KB, 379 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19 December 2014, 16:59
Been There Done That

Pictured alongside an M79 ha ha.
Old 19 December 2014, 17:22
Corpsman Up!

Or you could do what I did, and replace EB parts with WC Bullet Proof parts, made me feel "dirty" in a good way.

Leopardprey - offer's still open if you want to borrow the Dan Wesson's I have.
Old 19 December 2014, 17:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck1031 View Post
Or you could do what I did, and replace EB parts with WC Bullet Proof parts, made me feel "dirty" in a good way.

Leopardprey - offer's still open if you want to borrow the Dan Wesson's I have.
I may take you up on that. Will send ya a PM>

Now what type of grips are those? Wood/maker? Very nice.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 19 December 2014, 17:33
Corpsman Up!

Quote:
Put a new #17 in it before the last range trip, and maybe 200 rounds downrange that trip (had a couple of hangups on the feed ramp when manually dropping the slide on a full mag, but no other issues). I think I like the idea of a slightly heavier spring. Think I'll try out a #18.5.
I just re-read that you are using 8 round magazines - try this, load 7 rounds and see if the problem persists. If this corrects the issue, it's the mag springs having too much tension, and as others have said, load them full and let them sit.

If it doesn't, or the problem exists with only 7 rounds loaded in an 8 round mag, I would start looking at polishing the feed ramp, looking at barrel throat angle, etc. (Keep in mind, if these may be the issue, I would contact Wilson and let them sort it out for you. They have really good CS and turn around on repairs to existing customers.)

Just some simple suggestions, and easy fixes.

Trust me, I've been through the gambit on 1911 issues, and all mine run like sewing machines now.

And the grips on my EB are by Arizona Ironwood LLC, in case anyone was wondering.

What some may find funny, is this is actually the "crown jewel" in my collection in my opinion, just because what it is, and how low a production run they were. Not to mention it has been carried more than any of my other 1911's:

Last edited by dbuck1031; 19 December 2014 at 17:45.
Old 19 December 2014, 19:01
Another pool cleaner

Awesome pics.
Old 3 January 2015, 05:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
A well built 1911 should be able to feed any type of ammo and utilize any quality magazine. I had a similar issue to what you described and it was an issue with the locking lugs being out of spec. Gun manufacturers are simply not fitting barrels and slides together properly and you can tell by inspecting for wear in that area.

I've owned over 40+ 1911's which run the gamut of all the manufacturers and the only good mainstream builder as of 2011 was Les Baer(I stopped keeping up with guns after that). Many other brands mentioned start off good but quality goes downhill quick once production ramps up. If Kimbers are your thing, find a Series 1 made in Clackamas as those were great guns. Best 1911 I've owned and the only shooter I kept is a Valtro 1911 made by John Jardine.
Old 3 January 2015, 11:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
A well built 1911 should be able to feed any type of ammo and utilize any quality magazine. I had a similar issue to what you described and it was an issue with the locking lugs being out of spec. Gun manufacturers are simply not fitting barrels and slides together properly and you can tell by inspecting for wear in that area.
No unusual lines of wear in the area of the locking lugs (pistol has well over 1,000 through it), and the feed ramp is polished like a mirror straight from Wilson Combat (pistol was made around 2005).

Still waiting on my order from Brownell's to come in so I can lose the full length guide rod, and move to an 18.5lbs spring. If I'm still having issues my suspicions will turn toward the extractor interfering with smoothly chambering a round. The thing ran like a top the first few hundred rounds, then started hiccupping.
Old 4 January 2015, 02:53
Confirmed User

Bill's best smiths left in 2005 to start Night Hawk, I traded a CQB for a Pro - no regrets, still looking for a Ted Yost that isn't $4000+... the Baer Stinger is a nice carry gun but heavy...

Nick - Joe's guys are currently carrying Chip's 10 round mags if they are using a 1911, but you probably know that - I stopped a deputy at the SGC and asked him what he was carrying, that was maybe 11 months ago.

Last edited by AGates; 4 January 2015 at 03:00.
Old 4 January 2015, 06:46
The Sagacious One

Quote:
FTF can also be poorly tuned extractor.
Old 4 January 2015, 12:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
FTF can also be poorly tuned extractor.
Copy that TFG. That's the next suspect on the list if the fixes I'm going to implement don't cure things.

On a side note: Brownell's seems to be moving like molasses lately. Heard that they are in the middle of moving their operation. PSA: if you need your parts with any kind of quickness, it may be good to avoid Brownell's for a bit.
Old 4 January 2015, 12:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGates View Post
Bill's best smiths left in 2005 to start Night Hawk, I traded a CQB for a Pro - no regrets, still looking for a Ted Yost that isn't $4000+... the Baer Stinger is a nice carry gun but heavy...

Nick - Joe's guys are currently carrying Chip's 10 round mags if they are using a 1911, but you probably know that - I stopped a deputy at the SGC and asked him what he was carrying, that was maybe 11 months ago.
Ted is a great guy to do business with, and extremely knowledgeable. First met him when he was the head Smith at Gunsite.

No ten rounders for me these days. I work plainclothes now, with the occasional need to go concealed.
Old 5 January 2015, 06:17
Confirmed User

I have a SA 1911 that was cobbled together by SA as a give away prize gun. Slide and frame combo doesn't match anything in their catalog. 500rds and not a single hiccup. This includes a couple hundred rds of steel case Russian stuff. I am going to get a beaver tail grip safety as it does bite me on occasion.
Old 5 January 2015, 22:57
Been There Done That

Finally got my parts in from Brownell's. Need to hit the range ASAP.

Our new posting rules