Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 22 June 2015, 01:51

Measure from the Ogive!!!!!
Old 22 June 2015, 01:52

Unless of course this is plinking ammo being dumped out of an AR.
Old 22 June 2015, 02:00
Make a desert and call it peace.

The bullet may be intended for a different 224 cartridge, 22-250 or 222 for example. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 22 June 2015, 06:40
Confirmed User

How do they shoot? The cannalure is there for heavy roll crimps. 223 can be either roll crimped or tapered crimped. You dont have to use the cannalure. As Echo5mike said, the bullets may be used in several different .22 cal centerfire rifles.
Old 22 June 2015, 09:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danheller88 View Post
Unless of course this is plinking ammo being dumped out of an AR.
Its just plinking ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
The bullet may be intended for a different 224 cartridge, 22-250 or 222 for example. S/F....Ken M
Ok. That makes sense then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold1 View Post
How do they shoot? The cannalure is there for heavy roll crimps. 223 can be either roll crimped or tapered crimped. You dont have to use the cannalure. As Echo5mike said, the bullets may be used in several different .22 cal centerfire rifles.
I havent shot it yet, hopefully one day this week I will get out to the range.
Old 23 June 2015, 01:03
Been There Done That

What are you guys using to measure powder? My press came with the lee auto disk powder measure, and I am finding that its very inaccurate, and it is going from throwing too much powder on one setting, to throwing too little the next setting down. I am not loading over the max load as per the Lyman manual, but it is quite a bit above the suggested starting load.

Speaking of max load, I am using Hodgdon H335 powder, and it says on the bottle the max is 25.3, but the manual says 27.0. Does the manufacturer just use more conservative numbers, or should I be more concerned about staying below their numbers in the future?
Old 23 June 2015, 08:17
The Sagacious One

The key to accuracy in lee powder systems is using the same stroke. Hard stop to hard stop with the same level of power in your stroke. Does your system have the disks? Some rifle powders do no meter well in the disks.

The powder company will no doubt post modest loads where the manuals normally publish to saami specs. The best thing to do is to start on the lower side of the middle of the loads and work your way up, looking for excessive pressure, blown or flat primers etc.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 23 June 2015 at 08:24.
Old 23 June 2015, 09:10
Been There Done That

Yes I do have the disks. I started out using the 1.57 disk that it says to use on the chart that came with them in order to throw 24.3 grains. I was getting around 25-26 grains. I went down one size on the disk to 1.46 and started getting around 23 grains. Ill try again tonight and see if I can get it to throw more consistently. If I start using something slightly lower than the manuals starting load do you think that will be a problem?
Old 23 June 2015, 17:58
Anesthetized User

[QUOTE=havok88;1058484788]What are you guys using to measure powder? My press came with the lee auto disk powder measure, and I am finding that its very inaccurate, and it is going from throwing too much powder on one setting, to throwing too little the next setting down. I am not loading over the max load as per the Lyman manual, but it is quite a bit above the suggested starting load.QUOTE]

I am loading for my .308 with a 175SMK and playing around with Varget. I use two scales, RCBS Chargemaster 750, and RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale. I double check every 3rd charge and my loads of 43.6 Gr., 5 shot string, are within 15 FPS of the other at about 2550 FPS.

I trust the beam scale more.

I am new to this as well and have learned a ton from the folks here.

I picked up 2,000 of these for plinking.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/6136

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 23 June 2015 at 18:11.
Old 23 June 2015, 18:42
The Sagacious One

Make sure you calibrate your scale, and make sure it is level. I would not load over 25 grns for now.

Are you using the 2 disk system> .11 cc is a big jump, they are normally about .04 - 06 cc difference.

You should also consider getting the pro autodisk measure. It has a more positive throw and return.
Old 23 June 2015, 21:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
I am loading for my .308 with a 175SMK and playing around with Varget. I use two scales, RCBS Chargemaster 750, and RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale. I double check every 3rd charge and my loads of 43.6 Gr., 5 shot string, are within 15 FPS of the other at about 2550 FPS.

I trust the beam scale more.

I am new to this as well and have learned a ton from the folks here.

I picked up 2,000 of these for plinking.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/6136
How do you like the SMK's, and what are you shooting them out of? I am planning to try those out in my 700 AAC-SD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Make sure you calibrate your scale, and make sure it is level. I would not load over 25 grns for now.

Are you using the 2 disk system> .11 cc is a big jump, they are normally about .04 - 06 cc difference.

You should also consider getting the pro autodisk measure. It has a more positive throw and return.
No I dont have the two disk. I messed with the autodisk that I have and started to see more consistent loads, but at 1.57 I was around 25.2 grains and going down to 1.46 I was at around 23.5 grains. Is it ok to start at that load for now, or do I need to buy those two items so that I can get up to 24.3 before I get started.
Old 23 June 2015, 21:59
Anesthetized User

Shooting a Remington 700 5R. 11.25 twist rate. It loves the heavy SMK's.

Support SOCNET.
Old 24 June 2015, 13:00
Anesthetized User

Just some other crap for you as I think about it.

If shooting for accuracy I do measure my cases for weight +/- 1grain, all others get used for hunting brass.

For me, I used the powder makers guide for charge weight and not the projectile maker.

Get a tumbler for sure, clean the flash holes.

Spend the money on good case prep gear. Case prep takes up about 80% of my time. Accurate case prep makes a difference for me.

Clean up the case neck after trimming.

Tumble the spent cases with the USED primer in place.

Lube the case well when FL resizing. Stuck cases suck.

I have found that full length resizing keeps cases from being stuck in a barrel. YMMV.

Redding dies are the shiznit.

Others may disagree, this is just my personal experience.

The image is a 3 shot group at 100 measuring .309. With my 5R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0234.jpg (16.7 KB, 106 views)

Support SOCNET.
Old 24 June 2015, 14:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Just some other crap for you as I think about it.

If shooting for accuracy I do measure my cases for weight +/- 1grain, all others get used for hunting brass.

For me, I used the powder makers guide for charge weight and not the projectile maker.

Get a tumbler for sure, clean the flash holes.

Spend the money on good case prep gear. Case prep takes up about 80% of my time. Accurate case prep makes a difference for me.

Clean up the case neck after trimming.

Tumble the spent cases with the USED primer in place.

Lube the case well when FL resizing. Stuck cases suck.

I have found that full length resizing keeps cases from being stuck in a barrel. YMMV.

Redding dies are the shiznit.

Others may disagree, this is just my personal experience.

The image is a 3 shot group at 100 measuring .309. With my 5R.
So I guess you could say the rounds are consistent. Haha. Yeah soaking them and all that did not work nearly as well as I hoped. Ive definitely noticed case prep takes a long time. That beam scale looks nice. The one that came with my kit is pretty cheap. I would like to replace it before long. On the bottle it has a max load, but no minimum, although I may be able to find one if I do some looking.
Old 24 June 2015, 15:02
Anesthetized User

From Hodgdon's Website

Go to the website for H335 load data. Below is for .223 with 55 grain projectiles. I cut and pasted from the website, its a nice tool to have.

Hodgdon

H335

.224" DIA

2.180" OAL

21.3 GR

2,920 Vel

48,900 CUP

22.7 GR

3,063 FPS

53,000 CUP

Hodgdon

H335

.224" DIA

2.220" OAL

21.4 GR

2,969 FPS

47,000 CUP

22.8 Grain

3,099 FPS

51,800 CUP

Hodgdon

H335

23.0 Grain

3,018 FPS

40,800 CUP

49,300 CUP

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 24 June 2015 at 15:07.
Old 24 June 2015, 16:58
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
How do you like the SMK's, and what are you shooting them out of? I am planning to try those out in my 700 AAC-SD.

No I dont have the two disk. I messed with the autodisk that I have and started to see more consistent loads, but at 1.57 I was around 25.2 grains and going down to 1.46 I was at around 23.5 grains. Is it ok to start at that load for now, or do I need to buy those two items so that I can get up to 24.3 before I get started.
23.5 grains should be OK.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 30 June 2015 at 16:06.
Old 30 June 2015, 00:45
Not a ninja...

Ok gents... Case Trimmers? While E5M is over there driving Bugatis and jetting around in his G6 (with reloading station and multiple, automatic, bad ass case trimmers (both Gracie and Giraud by the way) Is there a recommendation for a starter kit/hand trimmer/that is in the lower price bracket (and hopefully not crappy quality..)?

(Granted, I am sure he is right and for now I'll spend $100 and then get the damn thing anyway...)
Old 30 June 2015, 01:06
Not a ninja...

...also, Case Prep tools, are the hand tools good (recommendations?) and this is probably where the Gracie shines?
Old 30 June 2015, 01:17
Make a desert and call it peace.

Of the manual versions, I prefer the Forster. Wear leather gloves, nice thin kidskin is fine, mechanics gloves would work too.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catal...?prodid=700289

You'll also need a chamfer tool, most any will do. The RCBS has a spindle on one end so you can chuck it up in a drill press, which make life slightly easier. You do have a drill press, right?

If you're running VLD's, especially moly coated ones, they make a shallow angle chamfer tool that gives you a better entry angle on the brass.

Lyman or Redding make flash hole uniformers; I only bother for 1000yd stuff. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 30 June 2015, 15:41
Not a ninja...

Woah.. that thing is nice!

...No.. I don't have a drill press! I'm still in the crawl phase on this.. Maybe a little walk, but mostly crawl!

Thanks for the tips. They are thoroughly appreciated!

S/F,
-Nimja

Our new posting rules