Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 2 July 2015, 14:22
Been There Done That

Thumbs up Steyr Scout

Picked up one of these today, in Mud color. The color looks ever better in person IMHO. So far liking it, though have not shot it yet, that will come within the next several days when get out to the range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyOz5TwJvZI

As many of you know I am a big fan of the Steyr Aug. So thought this would compliment my Augs, plus needed something in .308.

Plus, I have always been an admirer of Col. Jeff Cooper and a long time reader of his musings and writings. Been wanting a Steyr Scout for a long time due to his influence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 2 July 2015 at 14:28.
Old 2 July 2015, 14:41
Authorized Personnel

How much did it set you back, did you get it locally?
Old 2 July 2015, 14:43
Been There Done That

$1399. Very good price IMO. No, I got it thru a dealer that is located next to the Steyr HQ in Alabama and they shipped it 2 day UPS to my local FFL dealer.

Old 2 July 2015, 22:04
Midgetologist

They didn't have one in Die Hard.

Very nice weapon LP.
Old 2 July 2015, 22:21
The Sagacious One

Cooper was spot on with his design of this rifle and steyr did a great job in mirroring his desires.

How is the wide forearm with the built in bipod?

Gotta shoot it dude, we need a range report.
Old 2 July 2015, 22:30
Been There Done That

So, far shoulders nice. The wide forearms feels good in the hand. Have a Ching Sling on order. The bipod is a really nice built in feature, along with the extra magazine stored in the butt stock and the flip up iron sights. Some of the earlier models had plastic stems in the bipod ratchet, but those have been replaced with solid aluminum, making the bipod much more sturdy.

Very impressed by the flip up sites. Solid metal ghost ring set up and very easy to use/see and get good target picture. The bolt has an oversize handle, very easy to get a hold of and utilize. Very slick action. Nice trigger.

Old 3 July 2015, 02:08

My buddy has one in grey, with a fixed 3x Leupold scout mounted. Gun is VERY accurate. Little bit light on the nose so it jumps, but nothing bad at all. Certainly one of my favorite rifles.
Old 13 July 2015, 22:24
Confirmed User

I've got one and it's one of my all time favorite's. Shoots very well. I've got a 2x luepold scout scope and the 10 round magazines. I'm hoping to take it out this week.

Old 13 July 2015, 23:40
Been There Done That

Nice one. I had a Steyr SSG PII, long gun forerunner with some of the same features. Have never desired the Aug though.
Old 14 July 2015, 05:07
Been There Done That

Thinking of selling my Mud Scout, if anyone interested. Will give a great price, and have a leupold scout scope for it. Long story, but ended up with a OD Green Scout as well, friend sold me for great price. So decided to only keep one, and since my AUGs are OD green, decided to keep the OD Green one. I am like a chick and/or have a minor case of OCD when it comes to guns, have to have matching colors. :big grin:

Of course I could just get another AUG, in Mud color.

Anyone interested, shoot me a PM.

Old 16 July 2015, 01:23
Been There Done That

Nice piece indeed. Whats the weight?
Old 16 July 2015, 10:34
Confirmed User

They are about 6.6 pounds without the optic. It's a handy and fast handling rifle.
Old 15 August 2015, 09:14
Been There Done That

I keep going back to this thread checking this rifle out. The more I look at gunks pic the more I want one! Looks like an awesome piece. I like the light weight & spare mag storage. Gotta be my next buy!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 18 August 2015, 09:04
Confirmed User

I had one for a number of years. A couple of things were irritating about it. The "Safe Bolt" system was unnecessarily complex to disassemble/reassemble - I wouldn't want to do it "in the field". Because Cooper was adamant (for no telling WHAT reason except he got that way at times) about it not having a flash suppressor I had the scope "white out" with some ammo. The bipod's a little high for my taste and there's no real adjustment for it.
I traded it to a friend for an AR-10 with an ACOG. Last I heard we're both happy; I know I am (other than the fact that AR-10 mags are hard to come by).
Old 18 August 2015, 09:07
Confirmed User

Oh, and the "Ching Sling" is a pretty good thing but the attachment system is "unique" enough that I'd prefer the traditional swivel system.
Were I to do it again I'd consider the Springfield M1A "Scout" or the Ruger Scout before purchasing.
Old 18 August 2015, 11:39
Confirmed User

There is a big difference between the Steyr and Ruger scout rifles in terms of build quality and accuracy. The Steyr is highly accurate and the action is super smooth. The Ruger is not but it's much less expensive.

Here is a picture of the scout rifle at the range with the 10 round mag adapter. It holds one 10 round mag in the stock and one in the rifle.

Old 18 August 2015, 11:41
Been There Done That

Gunk, You have one in Mud and one in OD?

What bag is that on the right?

Old 18 August 2015, 11:50
Confirmed User

No that one is in OD it just looks kind of like mud. The bag is the cheapest maxpedition bag. I keep a box or two of ammo, binoculars stuff like that in it.
Old 24 August 2015, 13:33
Confirmed User

"Accuracy is more a function of US than the rifles we shoot. I'm glad you're pleased with your Steyr; your mileage may vary with time (mine did).
Old 24 August 2015, 15:15
Confirmed User

I bought a Steyr Scout set up from a member here including a 2.5x Leupold scout scope. I only have a couple hundred rounds through it but here are my initial impression:
Pros: Lightweight, handles exceptionally well, accurate, extra mag in the buttstock is nice, folding bipod is handy.Doesn't fire on it's own when I take it off safe.

Cons: Throws a flash with some ammo, it's a fire-breather at dusk. The bipod "feels" a little cheap and has no adjustment. I say "feels" because I have not had any problem with it but I have not run it hard in the field either. The thumbwheel safety is taking some time to get used to. It is also plastic and has a cheap feel to it. Again, no issues with it working as designed, just not the steel I am used to.

Accuracy has been exceptional. I shot it from a lead sled for a test and found it to be a consistent 1-1.5" with Hornady Match 168 gr Amax. The real surprise was the 5/8" consistent groups with Sellior & Bellot 180gr SP. The rifle liked the cheapest, heaviest ammo I had on hand. I can't wait to tinker with some handloads.

Overall, I like the rifle more every time I shoot it and look forward to getting more time behind it. Unfortunately, my range only goes 100 yards so I have to wait until the crops are out to test it in the 200-400 yard ranges.

Our new posting rules