Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 24 August 2015, 17:42
Been There Done That

J, Good review. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22 November 2015, 15:12
Confirmed User

I'm running the 2x scout scope right now. It's fast but I keep thinking a 2-10x conventional scope may be a better all-around setup. What do you folks think?
Old 22 November 2015, 20:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I'm running the 2x scout scope right now. It's fast but I keep thinking a 2-10x conventional scope may be a better all-around setup. What do you folks think?
Personally, I do not like higher power scopes. Give me a 1-4 or 1.5-5x any day. Especially for the scout, you are not really taking more than 300 meter shots. Even when I go hunting with a 1.5-5x scope, I hardly ever have the power set any higher than 1.5x or 2x. Since most shots are 100m or less. Higher power scope = more weight, more complicated, stricter eye relief. No thanks.

Now, if you were specifically getting a high precision rifle designed to be taking, for targets or varmints, reaching out to 300 - 1000m? Then yeah, get a 10x scope.

Old 22 November 2015, 23:13
Confirmed User

I really shoot 200m most often at the most 500m
Perhaps I'll work with it a bit longer. Besides those top of the line optics are just getting more and more expensive.

I will say that I love the 1-6x I have on my AR15. Good for my aged eyes yet still plenty quick up close.
Old 23 November 2015, 08:49
Been There Done That

I always go back to old school, i.e. THE book on rifles, Jack O'Conner's "The Big Game Rifle". Back in the day, it was 1x power for every 100 meters.

Old 14 May 2016, 12:11
Been There Done That

Well, now looking at getting another one. Had one, then sold it without even using it to another Socnet member.

But now that as of last month Indiana announced you can use .308 for deer hunting, it gives me some justification to get one again.

Old 15 May 2016, 20:31
Confirmed User

Finally, we have a proper deer season. The Scout is a great piece of machinery. Light, fast and accurate. Great weapon.
Old 15 May 2016, 22:18
Been There Done That

^ yeah, but have you seen the list of DNR's approved 28 new calibers? Yet still cannot use 45-70. Makes no sense. Only can use on private land also.

Old 16 May 2016, 01:15
Been There Done That

^^^^Move away from that fucking flat land then use whatever you want

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 16 May 2016, 07:21
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
LMAO! I hear the term Flatlander at least once a day.
Old 16 May 2016, 07:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
Hey now, the southern half of Indiana is pretty hilly, but you have to put up with banjo playing south of Indianapolis, or the liberals from IU.

To be honest, I never had an issue with just being able to use slug guns or muzzle loaders. Over the last 2 hunting seasons I participated in, took 7 deer (2 bucks, 5 does) with my T/C Encore. I use it during firearms and muzzle loader season both.

But, I still cannot understand the logic of allowing .458 socom, 300 Win Mag, 30-06, 30-30, but cannot use 45-70.

Old 16 May 2016, 13:23
Confirmed User

It can be hilly and extremely redneck. I was hunting outside Austin Indiana two years ago and came near what I assume was a backwoods meth lab. A guy with a rifle came out but I had written permission to hunt there as well as a Benelli M1 super 90 loaded with slugs. No problem, but I do recall hearing dueling banjos playing on the wind…

The Steyr Scout is such a handy rifle – perfect for deer hunting and lots of other uses as well.
Old 16 May 2016, 14:34
Been There Done That

Meth is getting bad in rural Indiana. I was hunting a plot of land up near Delphi 2.5 years ago. Been hunting a week there. Then the landowner told me, "oh, yeah, forgot to tell you the Sheriffs dept cam by a couple of weeks ago and said they think there are some meth labs going on down the road. And to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity." Well, thanks for telling me now. Sigh. Just one of the reasons if muzzle loader or bow hunting always carry a side arm with me. Which use to be illegal if you remember back over a decade ago in Indiana, but they rightfully changed that law.

Old 16 May 2016, 16:57
Confirmed User

Austin is the meth and heroin capital of IN and has the highest HIV rate in the US. Nice town....

Now that I think of it, perhaps if I hunt there again I'll stick with the Benelli. It's quite formidable up close. I wonder if the ISP offers rewards for finding meth labs?

Back to the Scout, it’s fast and accurate. I love mine. Price is now below $1300 and you can get a 10 round mag extension. The magazines are very expensive but they give a mil/gov’t discount that makes it more palatable
Old 16 May 2016, 18:03
Been There Done That

^ With a Steyr Scout and a 1911, I feel I am honoring Jeff Cooper, that is for sure. : )

Yeah, the price really came down on them. Much less expensive than 15 years ago. Any reason why? Upped production, cheaper parts, streamlined manufacturing?

Old 16 May 2016, 21:17
Deplorable

Steyr -Scouts

Jeff assisted me in the acquisition of my first Steyr-Scout, a 308 model, as well as the 2nd, a Dragoon 376/Steyr-Scout that I got specifically to take to Africa. Had it not been for Jeff, my trip to Africa would not have been accordingly prioritized. He got me set-up with the rifle, enough factory ammo to sustain me for the duration of my quest, as well as a custom load from Superior Ammunition to fulfill my legal requirements and objectives for that first hunt to the Dark Continent.

Quite some time later I acquired one in .223 that I set-up specifically for nite-time predator hunting, and another 308 that I got from an on-line source that do business with. Prices have varied over the years, however I have not regretted a single purchase. I have harvested numerous skulls and considerable amounts of meat with the arsenal.

Once one embraces and understands the concept of the genuine article in the Scout-Rifle, as Jeff and a few of his closest conceived, an epiphany occurs. I've seen it numerous times, and it's still fascinating every single time.
Old 16 May 2016, 21:43
Been There Done That

How did you like the .376 Steyr for your Africa hunt? What did you take with it?

I used a .375 H&H when I hunted in Africa. The only concern I would have about .376 or other obscure calibers is getting ammo if needed in Africa, of the ammo got misplaced/lost/stolen. Where as .375 H&H and 30-06 is very easy to come by.

Did you use the Leupold scout scope for your Africa hunt?

Old 16 May 2016, 23:57
Deplorable

The Dragoon served well in Namibia.
Stoked with 250grn A-Frames
Clocking around 2450fps from the 19"tube.
[Superior Ammunition did the load-up for me.]

Harvested everything from Baboons & Jackals to Gemsbok & Kudu,
with an elegant Impala and a tough Wildebeest in between.
Most of the Game was from the Antelope/Plains-game species.
There were various species that I had to cull one or two from a herd,
Then there were times when I could take what I desired.
I could keep as many skulls as I wanted, and ate my fill as well.
All the hides and most of the meat went to the Bushman females for processing.

It was not a routine-type safari, I had chores do do, it was like a 'Working Hunt' for me, and I learned a-lot about the African [Hunting] 'Economy & Industry'. Jeff assured me it would be a 'learning experience' as well as life altering ... and that it was. An experience far removed from what I'd known before. If I went back to Namibia...

My Pre64 M70/30-06 w/a 4XScope would be 1st-choice.

My next hunt may likely be to the Caprevi-Strip... someday.
[That there is 'High Dollar Hunting']

I'm also looking into New Zealand.
... I have a few friends there.
Old 17 May 2016, 00:11
Deplorable

'Flatlander'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
LMAO! I hear the term Flatlander at least once a day.
LOL - I'm from IA ... Don't get me started.
Old 23 May 2016, 10:08
Confirmed User

I spent some time at the Steyr booth at the NRA convention exhibition here in Louisville. Steyr has some really great rifles. The scout rifles really look good but the SSG 04 sale really caught my eye. They are selling SSG's for $1849. That's an amazing and highly accurate system for the price.

Our new posting rules