Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 18 May 2016, 09:47
Been There Done That

CZ Handguns

Took a friend out shooting a week or so ago. He has a CZ 75. I had a couple of years ago put him through a combative/defense shooting course, he did with his CZ75. Just a very reliable, accurate handgun. Fired it last week, and was again impressed how accurate it shot, and very little felt recoil.

Have a hankering to get a CZ 97 (.45 ACP). Two options, decocker model or thumb safety model, both DA/SA). Finding out two place, Cajun Gun Works and also CZcustom, do fine tuning and/or sell CZ75 and CZ97 with their modifications.

So anyone here shooting/carrying a CZ 75 or CZ 97? Reliability for you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 May 2016, 10:56
Confirmed User

I don't carry one but some of the top 3 guns shooters in Kentucky are using CZ75's. The one guy I've shot against is very good. I think in IDPA and USPSA the single action trigger works very well. I've shot one of his guns and its very nice.

Mike Pannone a competitive shooter and retired soldier uses CZ pistols very skillfully.
Old 18 May 2016, 10:56
Been There Done That

Always wanted one (or two or three)...

I think Hognose is a CZ75 guy, though...
Old 18 May 2016, 11:03
Been There Done That

Anyone as well, shoot their new Scorpion 9mm carbine?

I have had a CZ 20 gauge over/under field gun for several years and been very impressed with it. Brother has a CZ full stock .223 bolt action rifle he is very happy with as well. From what I have seen, in general, CZ offers some of the best bang for the buck.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 18 May 2016, 11:21
BTDT

I've got a few CZs or CZ Clones (Tanfoglio). All are good to great. CZs and Tanfoglios are used by a large portion of top USPSA/IPSC production shooters. Other than the light trigger, their guns are not heavily modified race guns.

Pro's:
An owner can usually change a few springs and do a polish/trigger job that results in a very good trigger.
Good ergonomics for most.
Large aftermarket support
inexpensive for base models.
Overall reliability is very good

Weakness;
Sometimes the slide stop pin will break after high round counts.
Trigger return springs
These are low cost parts that don't require fitting and a good PM program should prevent any issues.
Old 18 May 2016, 12:20
Been There Done That

I've shot my department's qualification course with a CZ 75B, just to see how it would go. I started "cocked & locked" so I never screwed with the double action trigger. It has to be one of the two most accurate handguns I've ever fired (the other being a Kimber Custom II). Being an all steel 9mm, there is no felt recoil, so follow up shots are quick.

With the few hundred rounds I've fired from it, I've had zero issues/malfunctions.

I need to get a good concealment holster for it and then start carrying it.

Mark
Old 18 May 2016, 12:25
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I had a CZ75 Pre-B that was as accurate as the H&K P7M13 I shot it against. I was surprised. The 1 inch longer sight radius seems to balance out the inherent accuracy of the M13's fixed barrel. Quality Czech machine work as well.

There is good reason why back in the day when the choice of a serious handgun was limited to 1911A1 or Browning Hi-Power, anyone who could get their hands on a '75 did so.

Whereas short rails (early '75's made from 1975, hence the number, to mid 1981 when the slide was redesigned, for no good reason I can think of) go for serious cash/$3500 in exc.+ condition, Pre-B's and B's regularly bring no more than $500 or so on GB. Next time you're tempted to buy another Glock, do yourself a favor....

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 18 May 2016, 14:29
micro-aggressive

I had a EAA Long Slide Sport .45, CZ75 clone.
Adjustable BoMar sights, 2 tone black over stainless, walnut grips.
Picked it up at Jim's on Yadkin Rd. in the late 90s for @$400.

Probably the most accurate .45 I've ever owned, but heavy as a 10rd. doublestack, and huge in every dimension.
I'd like to have a 9mm steel CZ75 someday.
Old 18 May 2016, 16:21
Confirmed User

The CZ custom shop pro tek II looks really nice. Expensive but I bet it would be a great carry gun.
Old 18 May 2016, 17:18
Confirmed User

My CZ 75B was one of the first pistols I bought when I turned 21. I have always been a fan of CZ weapons and could not wait till I got old enough to buy one. I have thousands of rounds through mine and it has never missed a beat.

I then bought a CZ40 and shoot it periodically.

Unfortunately, CZ has started to become a somewhat household name, and the prices have been climbing steadily.

When I first started in LE, I carried a cz-75 compact then like an idiot sold it.

I am now trying to decide whether to buy either the CZ-85, CZ-P0-1 or CZ PO-06.

Magazines are pretty reasonable, I did a search and found Mec-Gar magazines are about $25.00
Old 18 May 2016, 18:41
NOW WITH MORE MOLECULES!

I carried a 75 or a 97 as a day to day carry gun for something like 20 years. I still have both, along with a RAMI and a few others. My daily carry for the last 3-4 years has mainly been a P-07 Duty. I have had no issues of any kind.

Never fuck with a guy who wants to die in battle.
Old 19 May 2016, 00:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Took a friend out shooting a week or so ago. He has a CZ 75. I had a couple of years ago put him through a combative/defense shooting course, he did with his CZ75. Just a very reliable, accurate handgun. Fired it last week, and was again impressed how accurate it shot, and very little felt recoil.

Have a hankering to get a CZ 97 (.45 ACP). Two options, decocker model or thumb safety model, both DA/SA). Finding out two place, Cajun Gun Works and also CZcustom, do fine tuning and/or sell CZ75 and CZ97 with their modifications.

So anyone here shooting/carrying a CZ 75 or CZ 97? Reliability for you?
I picked up a CZ Tactical Sport for messing around in some 2 gun stuff. I liked it enough to start looking for something to replace my G19 for EDC. If I find something I like it will be a SAO. Some high end clones https://kriss-usa.com/shop/products/sphinx/firearms
Old 19 May 2016, 06:01
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Anyone as well, shoot their new Scorpion 9mm carbine?

I have had a CZ 20 gauge over/under field gun for several years and been very impressed with it. Brother has a CZ full stock .223 bolt action rifle he is very happy with as well. From what I have seen, in general, CZ offers some of the best bang for the buck.
I've got quite a bit of trigger time on the Scorpion (the full auto version is issued to police over here in Malta). The ergonomics take some getting use to after being used to the M4 type platform. I've had no issues with reliability and neither have the police from my understanding. It's a pleasure to shoot IMHO.

CZ has quite a big following here in Western Europe. I have a good buddy who owns a CZ75. It kinda has the same feel as the Beretta M9, just a little slimmer.
Old 19 May 2016, 09:16
Midgetologist

Younger friend of mine swears by CZ products. He likes his Scorpion and I am hoping to shoot it maybe this weekend.
Old 19 May 2016, 10:25
Confirmed User

CZ75. An robust and reliable tool.
Old 21 May 2016, 05:32
Been There Done That

Don't know much about CZ handguns. A buddy of mine has CZ bolt action. 223 that shoots like a lazer.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 21 May 2016, 10:25
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
Don't know much about CZ handguns. A buddy of mine has CZ bolt action. 223 that shoots like a lazer.
CZ makes a great bolt action carbine. I have the same rifle. I would like to have one in 6.8 or x39.
Old 26 May 2016, 07:43

I have ran a CZ 75 for years. It eats up whatever I put through it and keeps on ticking. I'm hard on my pistols and the 75 is good to go.
Old 26 May 2016, 10:07
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Kleinman View Post
I have ran a CZ 75 for years. It eats up whatever I put through it and keeps on ticking. I'm hard on my pistols and the 75 is good to go.
Robb

You need to post an introduction as you were instructed when you registered
Old 26 May 2016, 13:01
Wolverines!

I know a guy who has a CZ75 that was tuned by LAV decades ago when they were in the Unit together. He says it's smooth as butter. CZ75's and CZ firearms in general are quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
I had a CZ75 Pre-B that was as accurate as the H&K P7M13 I shot it against. I was surprised. The 1 inch longer sight radius seems to balance out the inherent accuracy of the M13's fixed barrel. Quality Czech machine work as well.

There is good reason why back in the day when the choice of a serious handgun was limited to 1911A1 or Browning Hi-Power, anyone who could get their hands on a '75 did so.

Whereas short rails (early '75's made from 1975, hence the number, to mid 1981 when the slide was redesigned, for no good reason I can think of) go for serious cash/$3500 in exc.+ condition, Pre-B's and B's regularly bring no more than $500 or so on GB. Next time you're tempted to buy another Glock, do yourself a favor....

Our new posting rules