Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 27 May 2016, 00:35
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I think Hognose is a CZ75 guy, though...
I was expecting him to weigh in here by now......."Paging Mr Hognose, Mr. Hognose to the white courtesy phone please....."

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 28 May 2016, 10:26
Been *****, Sat Alert

I have 3 CZs, somewhere around 6-7k rounds through a P-09 and 75 Shadow (mostly the P-09) and the only malfunctions have been due to too long reloaded rounds. Attila175 pretty much covered it.

I'll add that the music wire trigger return springs from Cajun Gun Works seem to last longer than the stock part.

CZ also tends to have a fairly short rifling leade. It hasn't been an issue with any factory ammo I've tried yet, but something to check and definitely need to be aware of it if you reload.
Old 4 June 2016, 21:27
Rest In Peace

Guys

I was out of town at a weapons course and haven't been around, so I'm late to the t'read. I made an effort to transition from my Pre-B CZ-75 to a Glock at a friend's urging (he's a Fed who swears by the Glock). He set me up with one of his, with the key stuff (extended slide and mag releases, trijicon sights). There's nothing wrong with the Glock at all but I never warmed up to it.

I intended to go back to that ancient, I've-been-everywhere-man Pre-B 75 (the Bs came out in 1994), but I lucked into an SP-01 that has been given the CGW treatment. I'm auditioning it for regular carry and meant to shoot it this weekend -- for unrelated reasons I had to RTB early.

I am slightly concerned that the CGW trigger is so good and so light that the gun is potentially unsafe as a carry piece. ETA: that's this particular gun, CGW has a wide range of triggers and trigger jobs.

I like the size and the all metal construction. CZ also has polymer framed handguns, which are much more competitively priced than their steel guns.

The steel parts of CZ-75s and their brethren are a mix of machined investment castings and things machined from billet, FWIW.

For anyone that wants an old CZ and will take a beater, a whole metric crapton of them just hit GunBroker and the usual surp dealers. They're cop tradeins from Israel and they are ragged. (One guy got one with a broken slide!) Most of them are mechanically sound and simply have horrible cosmetic problems. And the prices are very good, around $300-350. But for year and condition you're taking a crapshoot. Also, Pre-Bs can be finicky about magazines.

There are numerous CZ clones on the market, and there are even two more or less unrelated guns that have been sold as CZs (the CZ-TT and CZ G-2000). Fortunately the pseudo-CZs are rare. Many of the clones are badge-engineered Fratelli Tanfoglio copies. The Swiss-made Sphinx is a high-end clone, but with corporate owner Kriss supposedly planning to move production here, it may not stay that way. Very expensive ($1000-1200 and the mags are >$50. But some EAA/Tanfoglio mags fit.

A lot depends on what is comfortable in your hand. I was a Beretta guy for the mag capacity and DA/SA action (when those things were rare) but the BHP always fit my hand better. With the CZ in the 80s, I discovered a BHP that was DA/SA. In time the gun's other qualities have grown on me as well.

CZ did submit a pistol to the modular handgun competition but no one is expecting it to be one of the three finalists.

I can answer most questions about Czech handguns, when I'm around. I'm writing a book about them.
Old 25 June 2016, 13:06
Confirmed User

My wife bought me a p-07 for Valentines day years back. it has never malfunctioned and is very accurate. the only bad thing I can say is when I push the mag release button I have to pull the mags out. working on a fix
Old 25 June 2016, 22:42
Been There Done That

Like CZ rifles, not so much the handguns.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 26 June 2016, 09:40
Been There Done That

I am really liking this custom one:

http://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-...16-orange.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange CZ.jpg (84.0 KB, 281 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26 June 2016, 09:45
Genetically Deplorable

I inherited one in Iraq from a departing TL. Never fired a shot in action but lots of rounds in training. Liked it a lot.
Old 26 June 2016, 14:11
Moving Target

I bought a CZ 85 while I was stationed in Germany back in 91' as soon as I got back from Desert Storm. I bought another CZ85 and two CZ75's at a nice pawn shop outside of FT. Hood . I loved them all. I sold three of them and kept the first CZ85 and carried it for years. I have fired at least a 1000 rds through it and never once did I ever have any problems. The last one was stolen out of my car a few years ago and I really miss it. They are Top Quality. They were good enough for the KGB and Russian Special Forces so that said alot to me about them. I will buy another CZ 85 if I can find a older one.
Old 26 June 2016, 22:18
BTDT

Have one chambered in 45...
Great piece - paid 450 for quite some years ago.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 27 June 2016, 01:04
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hognose View Post
There's nothing wrong with the Glock at all but I never warmed up to it.

I am slightly concerned that the CGW trigger is so good and so light that the gun is potentially unsafe as a carry piece. ETA: that's this particular gun, CGW has a wide range of triggers and trigger jobs.

A lot depends on what is comfortable in your hand. I was a Beretta guy for the mag capacity and DA/SA action (when those things were rare) but the BHP always fit my hand better. With the CZ in the 80s, I discovered a BHP that was DA/SA. In time the gun's other qualities have grown on me as well.
I only got into the Glock because it's what they issued on the contract I was looking to work on after I discovered contracting through SOCNET 10 years ago. Took me 4 years of taking SB's advice and working my way up, and even then luck played a part. I still carry my G19 even though I quit that job a year and a half ago. I just got used to it. I need to transition back to something better but I seem to be too busy these days.

I always disliked the M9. I do not like guns with two triggers in the same gun and the only one I make an exception to is the CZ75 because it's.....exceptional. I carried a revolver quite a bit back in the day and the '75 has a great DA trigger without the slop in SA that all the others seem to have, especially S&W. :shudder:

My first pistol was a BHP. God I love that pistol. I have 2 T-prefix guns hibernating in the safe, waiting for the day I get around to Bar-Sto and Novak'ing them.

CZ75's. I admit to being a "short rail snob". I need another Pre-B that doesn't have the value attached to it that short rail's do, so I can justify shooting it extensively and carrying it daily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01741.jpg (22.3 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01742.jpg (23.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01743.jpg (31.4 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01744.jpg (32.0 KB, 243 views)

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
Old 27 June 2016, 01:42
Social Claymore

Guess I'm going to have to try and find one to shoot.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 27 June 2016, 06:11
Been There Done That

Bob, very nice. What are those wooden grips? Nill?

Old 27 June 2016, 12:28
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Bob, very nice. What are those wooden grips? Nill?
I'm not sure. They're not marked as such. They do look it though, don't they? These grips are very common on '75's in Europe, so much so that I think it was possibly a factory option.

Likewise the hard chromed frame, I have a pic file with a dozen of those guns (mostly Pre-B's, I have only seen 2 short rails like that) in it and a German dealer I know has told me that they came that way from the factory. Usually just fixed sights though. I don't know what to make of the S&W revolver style rear sight on this one. The front sight is neat too, has a vertical white line inset into it. Trigger is awesome in both SA/DA.

For carrying I actually like the Uncle Mike's/Craig Spegel rubber panels (for the Hi-Power as well) that were made in the 90's but they're not easy to find these days. People who have them on a CZ75 don't give up either the grips or the gun. They're thinner than both the Pachmayr and the Hogue, with no front strap connector they add less bulk to the grip than either, and not as sticky/spongy which I find a distraction, especially with the Hogue.

Last edited by bobofthedesert; 27 June 2016 at 12:51.
Old 15 July 2016, 20:17
Rest In Peace

I am lusting after a short rail CZ like Bob's -- I'm "watching" it -- but I just dropped roughly 3 times the value of that on a grab-bag of old CZs and other Czechoslovak firearms at Rock Island. So I have taken myself off the Gun of the Month Club roster for a while (well 15 guns in one weekend will do that to you, and I'd just scored a CZ-45 elsewhere. (I missed 'em when they were around for $200!)

What that means is that when I DO go to buy a short rail, I'll have to trade two Johnson M1941s and a first round draft pick for it, or remortgage my house or something.
Old 19 September 2016, 00:13
Been There Done That

Thread got buried, thats not good.

Was trying to do some local matches, hands down this was the most bang for the buck.

That thing was so awesome I bought a new EDC

The Shadow actually shoots better than the TS. For matches though I like the size of the TS and how it indexes.
Old 19 September 2016, 04:49
Been There Done That

^Me want that shadow! Is that a stock one, or did you purchase a custom one?

Old 19 September 2016, 07:08
Been There Done That

Those are purty!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 19 September 2016, 08:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Looks like a Shadow Orange, which is a CZ Custom Shop model. You can find them NIB for $1200-1500.
Old 19 September 2016, 11:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Its the Orange
Old 19 September 2016, 11:40
BTDT

the only complaint I have about mine is that the factory sights are garbage
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield

Our new posting rules