Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 30 May 2016, 16:14
Confirmed User

The trap of the odd rounds.

Rather than derail another thread I bring to the floor my compulsion for firearms in odd rounds.

I have to admit I have a .340 Wby and a .257 Wby in the safe and I shoot more .41 mag rounds than any other revolver round.
While not exactly rare I have 2 .375 .H&H's and that is odd for North Carolina.

I am not to far gone I managed to avoid the 30 Remington AR, all the 17 cal rimfires, .357 sig, 308 marlin express, and a few others.

What one off rounds do you use, or mange to escape?

Got to admit that I got an email about a run of Ruger redhawks in .41 mag with a 2 inch Bbl that keeps rattling around my head, and I keep thinking about an AR-10 in 338 Federal.
Old 30 May 2016, 16:20
Make a desert and call it peace.

I too have a 41Mag....and a 9x23Win. 7.62 Luger. Had a 7.62x25 Mauser. 10mm Auto had a period out in the wilderness until G-lock picked it up. 6.8SPC is kinda the same way.

You really need to avoid the wildcat stuff; that's a PITA. I have (2x) 280 Ackley Improveds, a 22-250 Ackley, and a whole metric shitload of target stuff(22 and 6mm rounds for space gun target AR's, mostly). S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 30 May 2016, 17:43
Authorized Personnel

I have a .17 Hornady Hornet. I like it for fox and bobcat. It will work on coyotes, but you really need to be careful with your shot selection. It worked well on the prairie dogs that were in with the ranched bison as well.

I also have a .17 HMR and that thing is one accurate little gun.

I really want a .19 Badger, I just can't justify it at the moment.
Old 30 May 2016, 17:46
Deplorable

I've avoided the 220Swift twice.
Once in my youth, and a second time as an adult-child.
[The second time, I came across a great deal at a Sportsman's Warehouse in IA, grabbed a new [FN'made] Winchester M70 FWT in .22-250 that squelched my rekindled interest in the 220Swift.]

I was almost seduced by the 6x45 & 6x47 scenario in 29Palms. I witnessed the remarkable effects of these cartridges on large high-desert coyotes. Fortunately everything I had shot proper with a 223 dropped like dead-wood so the interest did not match logistics. However I am still a big advocate of the 243/6mm. [I am interested in the ballistics of a 25Cal projectile crammed into a 223 case as well.]

The biggest step in this direction has by far been ... The 376Steyr.
A 'Fireplug' cartridge that over-ran my recurring interest in the 350Rem-mag.
[Launching 250grn Swift A-Frames from a 19"tube w/notable but not unmanageable recoil.]
I went so far as to get the cart and the horse on this one.
As well as a significant supply of other items needed to sustain the weapon system.

[Then there's ... the 300BLK]

Like I have mentioned before, had it not been for my exposure to the 308/762 in my youth, I would have surely managed just fine when I moved to Arizona from IA with that 7x57 Mauser in the trunk of my Cutlass at the age of 19. I was hell-bent on selling the damn thing asap and getting a M70/270Win asap and putting my Mauser fetish to rest. The Mauser prevailed, and maintained its hold on me until I was re-introduced to the 30-06 and later the 308Win. That Mauser is now back in a basement in IA, and my 270Win is what I shoot when I want to demonstrate the longevity of one of the most longstanding cartridges, that is still one of the best [for its intended purpose] that did not have a government contract to propel it's trajectory. The 270Win still stands on merit alone.

Again...Then there's the 300BLK.
Kinda like a .25... or a .270 crammed into said case ... [but - bigger].
Old 30 May 2016, 18:16

Yeah, I've got a Swift too. I like it, have 2k rds of 40gn V-maxes loaded up to 4200fps on the shelf for it. That's probably enough to put paid on this barrel.

There's a CZ550 American in 9.3x62 calling my name at the local gun store. I don't have enough time to do any big game hunting, otherwise I might rationalize it. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 30 May 2016, 21:08
Midgetologist

10mm and 300 BLK currently.

I too had 357 Sig,5.7x28mm.
Old 30 May 2016, 23:13
Six Minutes!

I've actually bought rifles/pistols to match what I thought would be an interesting round to load for.

My not so common (not particularly uncommon though) include:

35 Whelen
458 SOCOM
460 Rowland
41 Mag
300 BO
Old 30 May 2016, 23:32
The Sagacious One

Gavin will be along soon to talk about his 41 AE. Favorite round of the hermaphrodite.

But the 45 GAP reigns supreme. I also have an AR in 7.62 x 39 of which SOTB despised the mere existence. And a POF in 6.8 SPC.
Old 31 May 2016, 20:03
Confirmed User

I have a couple of guns that I will never get ammo for, not even handloads.
One is a single shot octagon Bbl. in 25 Stevens rimfire, another the 56-50 Spencer rimfire.
Then there are guns that ammo is damn hard to get or even hand make for like the 40-60 winchester.

I got a 7.62 Nagant in the early 90's There were a few boxes of special run ammo floating around at collector by the round prices. No chance I was going to be able to afford ammo like that. Here we are 20 some years later and I can walk in to any gun show and buy it at prices reasonable enough you don't mind shooting it up.

So maybe I am worse infected than I though, because I don't really count those as one offs.
Old 31 May 2016, 20:12
Authorized Personnel

I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 as a young man. Smoked several deer with it. Should have kept it, but I was overwhelmed by the stupidity of youth and sold it.
Old 31 May 2016, 20:13

40-60 Win can be made from 45-70 cases.

Which reminds me, I've also got a 43 Mauser M1871/84. Cases are formed from 348 Winchester, on a lathe. S/F...Ken M
Old 31 May 2016, 20:17
Authorized Personnel

I have a martini-henry in .303 that I liberated while in Afghanistan. It's a rusty mess, but I'm afraid to try to restore it.
Old 31 May 2016, 20:58
Not a ninja...

I have a M1 Carbine in ... .30 Carbine! The round is better than most people give it credit for and the damn thing is handy . Especially once I sighted it in and put a light on it.
Old 31 May 2016, 21:03
Midgetologist

Short version Had a full collection of Weatherbys in every caliber. And two double drills in 470 and 500 NE .

Dude sold it to me for $1 so wife couldn't get them in divorce. And yes I sold them back for $1.

TFG is trying to talk me into 45 GAP.
Old 31 May 2016, 22:52
BTDT

500-450 No.1 Express
450 No.2 Musket
9.3 x 72R
8.15 x 46R

Those are the ones that have to be reloaded. Some other stuff I can usually get ammo for if I look hard enough. Mostly Mannlichers and some other german stuff.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 31 May 2016, 23:52
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

It is getting harder and harder to find affordable 16 gage shotgun shells.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 1 June 2016, 01:59
Broke D***

Just got out of the 6.8 game. Had a 9x18 pistol, but only for about a week before I decided to give it up. The "oddest" one I have right now would have to be 5.45.

Last edited by bravodelta; 1 June 2016 at 02:11.
Old 1 June 2016, 02:29
Confirmed User

375 VM2 and 17HMR.

Love shooting the HMR. It is a savage and really accurate.

375 VM2 shoots a SMK at 3200 fps, haven't begun to stretch it out yet. 2220 meters furthest so far. Next week I will get farther than that.

Winston Churchill
Old 2 June 2016, 17:30

Ooph, where to start. I enjoy collecting and finding ways to reload the unusual and obsolete rounds. I currently reload 450 Adams, 8mm French Revolver, 11mm French Revolver and 7.62 X 45. Eventually I'll pick up the dies for .43 Egyptian but the cost of the f'ing things just irritates me. Thanks to the influx of Polish pistols, 9mm Makarov is coming up.
Old 2 June 2016, 17:47
Not a ninja...

Geez.. just remembered. .30-40 Krag.. (What a neat gun and piece of history) and .303 (Lee Enfield.)

Our new posting rules