Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 3 June 2016, 01:22
Aegar primo

35 Whelen and a 357 SIG. Love 'em both.
Old 5 June 2016, 16:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
40-60 Win can be made from 45-70 cases.
I will have to look into that.
Someone on castboolets had the whole 40-60 loading setup for sale, dies, brass, mold, and data. But I convinced myself that I would never fire it. Yeah,Yeah lesson learned.
Old 5 June 2016, 17:07
Make a desert and call it peace.

Castboolits is a treasure of old timer stuff and institutional/community knowledge.

I'm really tempted to get some big old cast bullet thumper on a 30-06 case. Like the 9.3x62 or the Whelan or even a 338-06 or 375-06. I might even do a 308 case version like 338-08/338 Federal in a proper standard length action like a Win M70. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 23 August 2017, 19:34
Midgetologist

I am fighting impulse to buy a 50 GI conversion kit for my G20.
Old 23 August 2017, 19:39
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Submit.

As odd as I can get is my recently acquired .257WBY. I am now looking at the 6.5-300WBY.

I always thought the 25-06, and .264 Win Mag would be fun.

I did have a TC with 10" bull in .22 Hornet.

Support SOCNET.
Old 23 August 2017, 20:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
It is getting harder and harder to find affordable 16 gage shotgun shells.
Yes it is, and I love the 16 Ga. It's a perfect small/upland game gun. I ran Beagles for many years, tore many up with a 12 Ga. I even dusted a nice Georgia buck with a 16 Ga slug. I have always wanted the Browning Sweet 16 autoloader. If you do find one in good shape have a wad of cash.

The .22 Hornet is an odd round. While I don't own one, and old friend put a lot of venison in the freezer in SC with that round.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 23 August 2017, 20:44
Been There Done That

38/55 Win. Got an 1894 half octagonal half round, half magazine rifle that I love shooting, but a box of 20 runs $50, last I looked.

I'm working on staying tied to the mast with plugged ears, avoiding the Siren call of the 458 SOCOM...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 August 2017, 21:02
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Got the 460 Rowland kit for my XD.... It was a fun fad.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 23 August 2017, 21:03
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
38/55 Win. Got an 1894 half octagonal half round, half magazine rifle that I love shooting, but a box of 20 runs $50, last I looked.

I'm working on staying tied to the mast with plugged ears, avoiding the Siren call of the 458 SOCOM...

Got that... 500 gr Hornady RN over I don't remember how much Lil Gun. 1350 fps in a 16" RRA upper. Very functional, but bench shooting gets old real quick.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 23 August 2017, 21:11
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Yes it is, and I love the 16 Ga. It's a perfect small/upland game gun. I ran Beagles for many years, tore many up with a 12 Ga. I even dusted a nice Georgia buck with a 16 Ga slug. I have always wanted the Browning Sweet 16 autoloader. If you do find one in good shape have a wad of cash.

The .22 Hornet is an odd round. While I don't own one, and old friend put a lot of venison in the freezer in SC with that round.
I've owned 3 or 4 Sweet 16s. The shooter variety isn't out of sight usually, but if you want the classic vent rib 28"barrel in nice condition you'll pay. I paid less than $600 for my current one. Check with Wal-Mart or Dick's SG. If they can get the 100 round boxes of 12 or 20 ga they can get 16s and it's usually pretty reasonable. I've got shitloads so I haven't bought any in years. I'm still shooting 2-9/16" paper case stuff from my dad's stash.

I never gave 22 hornet much thought until I borrowed one from my dad to go clear out some porcupines from by brother-in-laws woodlot. It literally took them apart. There is a LOT more to that little cartridge than meets the eye. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer with it if they were standing and within 50 yards or so.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 23 August 2017, 23:07
Been There Done That

I had an odd round but I donated it to a private collector of WWII memorabilia in 2000. A French 8mm revolver, I think nickel plated marked Ames. (?)
It's was a hand me down in my family. It was taken from a German officer and lifted by a family member.

I was told it was only fired once by putting a cut down round from....I was told 32/20 (?)

Hillbillys.What can you say.

Old 23 August 2017, 23:22
Been There Done That

Yep. I looked it up. It's been a long time since I've thought about that ole piece.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod%..._1892_revolver

Old 25 August 2017, 14:31
Authorized Personnel

357 Sig
7x57 Mauser

So far, knock on wood.

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 25 August 2017, 16:07
άber Equus Asinus

My hunting arsenal includes

7x57 (7mm Mauser)
8x57 (8mm Mauser)
7mm WSM
.35 Whelen
.375 H&H

All somewhat oddball, or less than common calibers in the US.. but none of them super crazy.. you can pretty much find ammo for all of them at any Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Academy Sports (youre just not going to find anything at Wal-Mart to feed them).. I reload for all of them.. so ammo isnt really a problem..

That said... 99.99% of the time.. I grab one of my .308's out of the safe to hunt with.. the other calibers spend a good bit of time just sitting around and looking pretty..

Ive currently only got handguns in 9mm, 45 ACP, .357 mag, and .44 mag.. but have had several less common calibers over the years ranging from .357 sig to .455 webley to .32 mag to 8mm lebel.. and a host of others in between..

I am seriously thinking about adding a 10mm to the handgun battery in the near future.. just undecided at the moment..

Non hunting rifles I've only got 2 that are less than common calibers.. I've got an old winchester 1890 in 22 long (not long rifle).. and a beater arisaka in 6.5 jap..

Everything else is pretty "common" (.22LR, .223, .243, .308, etc..etc..)
Old 25 August 2017, 16:42
Moving Target

I want a 264 Winmag in a 700 remington.
Old 25 August 2017, 16:59

For me, Winchester model 94, .32 Winchester Special. .32WS isn't all that uncommon, but I've had to special order it a couple times for some to shoot, then save the brass for reloading. I was shown how to form the brass from .30-30, so I save all the .30-30 brass I find now. And the rifle is a pre-'64, which was my main requirement when looking for a '94.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacivpol View Post
One is a single shot octagon Bbl. in 25 Stevens rimfire, another the 56-50 Spencer rimfire.
Then there are guns that ammo is damn hard to get or even hand make for like the 40-60 winchester.
I was at a shooting range up near Grass Valley (NorCal), and a guy at at the table next to me found what he thought was a .22LR. It wouldn't fit in his rifle, so he gave it to me. Turns out it was a .25 Stevens. How it ended up at the range, sitting on the table, we never found out.

Old Western Scrounger used to make a lot of the old obsolete calibers, but they were bought a few years ago, so they don't make all the old stuff they used to. If you keep an eye on their site, some newly-manufactured old ammo shows up occasionally.

Starline makes empty .45-70 brass, specifically for forming some of the old Winchester black powder cartridges.

~Chris
Old 25 August 2017, 17:01
Been There Done That

From what I have read the 7X57 works dandy on whitetails & more.

I had a BIL who had a 8mm Mauser when I was a kid. I remember shooting it ONCE.

Old 25 August 2017, 19:00
Anesthetized User

Now I'm back to looking for a rifle in .22 Hornet.

Support SOCNET.
Old 25 August 2017, 19:14
Confirmed User

My dad has a 1895 Marlin lever action in 38-56 Winchester. Made brass from 45-70. Heavy octagon barrel but it shoots nice.
Old 25 August 2017, 21:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Now I'm back to looking for a rifle in .22 Hornet.
This thread has me thinking of the 7X57. I need to check out ammo available & models available.

Our new posting rules