Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 25 August 2017, 21:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
This thread has me thinking of the 7X57. I need to check out ammo available & models available.
I have heard it does well also. I'm really trying to keep myself from getting a .280 AI.
Old 25 August 2017, 21:58
Anesthetized User

Quote:
This thread has me thinking of the 7X57. I need to check out ammo available & models available.
RS, school me on the 7x57 round. I know nothing about it but it gets mentioned a lot.

Thanks.

Support SOCNET.
Old 25 August 2017, 21:59
The atomic zit

Ammo is running $0.75-$1.50/rd.
Old 25 August 2017, 22:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
RS, school me on the 7x57 round. I know nothing about it but it gets mentioned a lot.

Thanks.

Not a mainstream round anymore. Maybe never was. Not all that impressive with ballistic data but for some reason drops everything well. I need to lookup some info on it. I think it has most bullet weights offered in 7mm/28cal. (130 gr area)

I can't remember the guys name....but he wrote of it as a favorite and killed most everything in North America. Also took it to Africa and killed large game.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 25 August 2017, 23:04
‹ber Equus Asinus

O'Connor used the 7x57 a good bit late in life and wrote about it several times..

Bell was a world renoun professional hunter that used it extensively in Africa...

7x57 is also known as .275 Rigby and 7mm Mauser and is still popular in Africa and Europe (much more popular than it is in the US anyway...)

Light recoil, flat shooting, inherently accurate, loves heavy for class projectiles, and has killed everything on the planet to include scores of elephants back in the day...

Pretty awesome round...

Last edited by mdwest; 25 August 2017 at 23:12.
Old 25 August 2017, 23:58
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Now I'm back to looking for a rifle in .22 Hornet.
I like the mini mauser CZ. I have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet, that's not a bad rifle either. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 26 August 2017, 06:34

Quote:
Now I'm back to looking for a rifle in .22 Hornet.
There a small numbers of Savage 24s (I went through a phase...) in .22H/20ga for varmint hunting and .22H/12 as a turkey gun out there. You wouldn't think a break-action as doing justice to such an accurate round (unless it's a T/C or similar) but my 60yo .222/20 is surprisingly tight, so I'd be willing to expect good things from one of these.

There are also a few .17HMR and .357mag/max 24s that change hands infrequently and for impressive prices.

Stretch mentioned .222. Up here in the NE, you still find these in fine shape in many older hunters' closets and sometimes at local bench matches.

DaveP
Old 26 August 2017, 07:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

Ammo is running $0.75-$1.50/rd.
I bought some Privi from SG that is around .50/rd. Decent enough ammo.
Old 26 August 2017, 09:31
Confirmed User

Quote:

I can't remember the guys name....but he wrote of it as a favorite and killed most everything in North America. Also took it to Africa and killed large game.
John Barsness.

Karamojo Bell, W.D.M. Bell, killed hundreds of Elephants with the 7x57 with the FMH round in the early 1900's.
Old 26 August 2017, 09:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
There a small numbers of Savage 24s (I went through a phase...) in .22H/20ga for varmint hunting and .22H/12 as a turkey gun out there. You wouldn't think a break-action as doing justice to such an accurate round (unless it's a T/C or similar) but my 60yo .222/20 is surprisingly tight, so I'd be willing to expect good things from one of these.

There are also a few .17HMR and .357mag/max 24s that change hands infrequently and for impressive prices.

Stretch mentioned .222. Up here in the NE, you still find these in fine shape in many older hunters' closets and sometimes at local bench matches.

DaveP

Interesting thread for me.

I always liked those old combo guns. I hit the pawn shops frequently. The pill heads are always unloading decent firearms to fund their habit and I pick up on deals when I can. Recently saw a 410/22 combo. Just got my Son a Winchester 30/30 from a pawn to deer hunting with this year.

So many guns....not enough money to go around!

Old 26 August 2017, 10:20
Confirmed User

The older Model 24's are much nicer IMO than the new Model 42. Mine is .222/ 20ga.
Old 26 August 2017, 10:57
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I bought some Privi from SG that is around .50/rd. Decent enough ammo.
Found the .222 rd you mentioned on SG.

Thanks.
Old 26 August 2017, 11:54

222, the triple deuce, was, and remains a great cartridge, it just got wiped out by the super cheapness of the 223 after it was adopted by the .mil. It tends towards great inherent accuracy, and was the most popular benchrest cartridge before the rise of the PPC cases.

7x57 is one of the 1st generation of military smokeless cartridges(along with 8mm Lebel, 303 British and 30-40 Krag, ie 30 Gov't), and is very common in Europe. Anything a 308Win will do, a 7x57 will do as well, probably better on the light bullet side, since they'd have greater sectional density and thus penetration. The 7x57 was the round used by the Spanish to embarrass the US .mil in Cuba, and thus lead to the introduction of the 1903 Springfield and the 30-06. When all that would have been needed is introducing a spitzer bullet, ideally with a boat-tail, to the 30-40. But mil-industrial complex and all, and so we wound up paying royalties to the Germans for ripping off Mauser with the 1903. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 26 August 2017, 14:19
Social Claymore

Shot a friends 22 TCM 1911 a few weeks back. I like the shit out of it and will probably be getting one soon.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 26 August 2017, 19:43
Confirmed User

.45 win mag
444 Marlin, while not rare it's getting hard to find around my area,
Old 26 August 2017, 21:20
Confirmed User

There a regional oddities.
Down here in the south it is almost always 30/30 in the lever guns, farther north you find a lot of .35 Rem.
I dont think it was due to laws or even performance but there seems to be a north south divide on that one.

I have some outdated oddities around. 32/20, and 38 auto (not super.) there is a 22 auto, not 22 S,L,LR, here somewhere.
I have some gyroc rounds but no gun.
There is the odd ball .300 gibbs that you reload for or do without.

I have a Bernside Carbine that I should load some rounds for, you can even get nylon "cases" to reload now. The modern age we live in.
Old 26 August 2017, 21:56

The Gibbs family of cartridges is kinda neat, the opposite of the current "short and fat" trend in cartridge design; the Gibbs had the shoulder blown forward, with a short neck, for increased capacity, based on a 30-06 case. They were used to get more "magnum" performance out of the very common Mauser actions available after WW1 and WW2.

A junior rifle team I once coached had a pre-64 Win M70 1000yd gun donated. It was 7mm Gibbs. They probably still have it as very few kids were interested in the prone stuff, they all shot 3 position national match stuff. S/F....Ken M
Old 30 August 2017, 16:10
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacivpol View Post
There a regional oddities.
Down here in the south it is almost always 30/30 in the lever guns, farther north you find a lot of .35 Rem.
I dont think it was due to laws or even performance but there seems to be a north south divide on that one.
.35 Rem and .32 Win Spc are popular in Northern New England. I know a few folks who like .300 Savage also.
Old 30 August 2017, 16:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I want a 264 Winmag in a 700 remington.
I researched the .264 years ago. The ballistics are awesome but from what I've read they are really hard on barrels. I guess it depends on how much you shoot. My deer rifles are cleaned & shelved after deer season and only brought out about a month prior to season to check my zero and shoot maybe a box of rounds.

Old 30 August 2017, 19:04
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
... SNIP ...

A junior rifle team I once coached had a pre-64 Win M70 1000yd gun donated. It was 7mm Gibbs. They probably still have it as very few kids were interested in the prone stuff, they all shot 3 position national match stuff. S/F....Ken M

Blasphamy. While I was very much into the NRA NM course of fire, I was greedy and wanted to get the Distinguished International Shooter badge in addition to the Distinguished Rifleman badge I'd bagged at Camp Perry a week earlier. I tried my best but just missed the cut for the 1987 Palma Match team (USAMU's team, which would road trip to Australia for the match). 15 shots prone for record from each of 800, 900, and 1,000 yards, it's an iron sight bolt gun gut check.

Kids would have loved it, as it really does separate the wheat from the chaff.

From this summer's Palma matches at Camp Atterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PALMA Trophy Team Match

History of the PALMA Trophy Match
The first PALMA Trophy Match was held on September 13-14, 1876 at Creedmoor Range, Long Island, New York, USA. Participants were Australia, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, and the United States. The United States won this competition. Since then, 27 official competitions have been held, plus three unofficial competitions. The United States has won 13 of the 27 competitions.

Countries that have participated through the years but not necessarily in every match are: Argentina, Australia, Canada, Channel Islands, Continental Europe, East and Central Africa, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Kenya, Natal, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, Scotland, South Africa, Sweden, West Germany, West Indies and the United States. Additionally, Cuba participated in one of the unofficial PALMA Matches.

Ranges that the matches have been conducted at are: Anzac (Australia), Bisley Camp (England), Bloemfontein (South Africa), Camp Perry (USA) Connaught (Canada), Rockcliffe (Canada ) Sea Girt (USA), Seddon Range (New Zealand) Whittington Center (USA).

Purpose of PALMA Competition
International PALMA Trophy team shooting is dedicated, "to sustain in its finest tradition the superb competition in long range rifle marksmanship, which since 1876 has engendered mutual understanding and friendship, warm goodwill, and above all good sportsmanship among marksmen."
The PALMA Trophy Match Team is shot in three stages of slow fire in the prone position. The first stage is two sighting shots and 15 shots for record per shooter at 800 yards. The second stage is two sighters and 15 shots for record at 900 yards per shooter. The third stage is two sighters and 15 shots for record at 1000 yards per shooter. Each national team consists of 16 shooters who form ranks and shoot on four targets at each stage.

The PALMA bolt action rifles are 7.62mm NATO caliber (Winchester .308) and fire Match Grade ammunition using a 155 grain bullet.

Micrometer aperature (iron) sights are used for sighting.

The target is six feet square and has a 20 inch bullseye (10 ring). An aiming black circle of 44 inches includes a 9 and 8 ring. A possible score of 150 points can be achieved by each team member in each stage of fire. This adds up to 7,200 possible points for each national team per day of competition.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 30 August 2017 at 19:12.

Our new posting rules