Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 11 July 2016, 06:07
Been There Done That

UFC Sold For $4B

Looks like they sold for $4B. Dana White will apparently remain. Dana also apparently made remarks last week that the UFC would not be sold.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/11...xpected-monday

$2M => $4B in 15 years plus they get out just as drug/doping testing starts and talk of fighters unionizing heats up

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 11 July 2016 at 06:15.
Old 11 July 2016, 07:03
All Labs Matter

Will be interesting to see how this changes things from an operational perspective.
Old 11 July 2016, 09:09
The Sagacious One

So now that money whores will own it, it will become corrupt and ridiculous.

The fighters purses are not advertised as much as the boxers, which are typically outrageous, but who knows, maybe this is a time where a new union can provide some assistance. I doubt it, as they are money whores as well, just on a smaller scale.

Its like a piece of low hanging fruit. What will fuck it up first? An external parasite or an insect from within?
Old 11 July 2016, 09:13
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
So now that money whores will own it, it will become corrupt and ridiculous.

Its like a piece of low hanging fruit. What will fuck it up first? An external parasite or an insect from within?
Hopefully, it won't become the new WWE!
Old 11 July 2016, 19:13
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Hopefully, it won't become the new WWE!
IMO, it already is OUTSIDE the octagon, and has been for some time... the trash talking and pre-fight shenanigans at weigh ins, the ridiculous music and light shows as they walk down the ramp to the octagon...

Its only a matter of time before Vince McMahon and "Mean" Gene Okerlund replace Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 11 July 2016, 19:23
Been There Done That

Don't forget the sometimes obviously prejudicial judging...

Old 11 July 2016, 20:06
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
"Mean" Gene Overland
Now that there is "old school" announcing! I spent a lot of Saturdays listening to him.
Old 11 July 2016, 20:35
Been There Done That

Agreed on it becoming the WWE. Its funny that the saving grace for the UFC was the Ultimate Fighter series which pretty much made it the drama fest it has become.

I detest all the pre-fight bullshit and hype. I only watch for the actual fights.

There are two kinds of people in this world,
the smart and lazy, and the stupid and industrious. Be wary of the stupid and industrious, they will fuck something up every time.
Old 13 July 2016, 21:00
Confirmed User

We just talked about this today at Stanford Graduate School of Business.

The consensus is that it was a fantastic sale, but a potentially really bad purchase.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 14 July 2016, 01:53
Confirmed User

I went through the pitch deck and my thought was more towards the latter as well. I'm in the deal on the periphery and I will say there are significant unrealized revenue streams. WME has a smart core group of deal makers so I'm hoping they made the right call.
Old 14 July 2016, 07:37
Been There Done That

I agree that it could possibly be a really bad investment. The owners made serious money and are cashing out at what I consider to be the right time for some of the reasons that I listed while retaining some ownership. Normal.

That said, anyone that knows the history and context of the UFC would know that the same was said when the current owners bought in for $2M. People thought that the UFC were just another Toughman competition and Toughman was getting banned everywhere.

They turned $2M into $4B through some really good execution with lawyering, exceptional marketing, and having the right talent with expanding their search for new talent. Fortunately, no one died (that I recall) during the formative years. IMHO this would have been the death knell of UFC much like it was for Toughman. I'm still not 100% sure that the UFC is big and embedded enough to survive a death. Hopefully, we'll never see that as an issue.

The "wolves closer to the sled" will be drug testing, potential unionization, and cumulative head/brain injuries over the long haul. If brain injuries are happening to WWE dudes, this will assuredly become a growing issue over time for the UFC. The new UFC will need continued good execution around lawyering, marketing, and talent management to be successful.

My 2 soles....

Old 14 July 2016, 10:13
Confirmed User

Cheers for the added context edd1e22 and HSLD.

I've got a mate who runs a wealth management outfit that includes quite a few UFC names.

It smells(rumours/anecdotals) like the ratio of fighter purse/total revenue is quite low and I'm guessing will be a significant OpEx pressure point moving forward.

I know Randy Couture runs his own gym in Vegas.

I wonder how much potential there is to tap into the experiential side with UFC names?

I did a week with Rorian Gracie and a bunch of LE last year that was good fun and value.

If they can convert Tapout wearers into buying more experiences they could be on to something.

But I reckon it's an uphill battle into the wind.

Unless of course they decide to move headquarters to Congo and go for Internet pay per view using Bitcoin blockchain with Thumbs up and thumbs down buttons on the screen.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 14 July 2016, 16:14
Confirmed User

The current/past operators have treated it more like a hobby than an actual business and the numbers I've seen show it.
Old 16 July 2016, 13:21
Confirmed User

I can't imagine that having Lesnar test hot is going to help the brand. Form the article on cbssports.com it appears that UFC sort of set themselves up by waiving the four month pre fight test protocol.
Old 26 July 2016, 00:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
If they can convert Tapout wearers into buying more experiences they could be on to something.
The same was more than likely said about the potential success of tactical shooting schools. Timing is everything in a situation like this. Now would be a great time for the UFC to roll out something like that if they want to attract/keep fans.

just my .02

There are two kinds of people in this world,
the smart and lazy, and the stupid and industrious. Be wary of the stupid and industrious, they will fuck something up every time.
Old 11 August 2016, 14:27
All Labs Matter

Professional Fighters Association announces formation of union geared toward UFC athletes http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/profess...d-ufc-athletes

As this union movement gains traction, it adds to the perception that the Fertata's knew what they were doing when they sold.
Old 11 August 2016, 15:37
The Sagacious One

And the prices will go up. Venture Cap gremlins do not pay for shit. They expect the serfs to pay them back for their purchase.

The price per number of good fights is at my limit. if they go to $69, I have watched my last UFC PPV.
Old 11 August 2016, 19:13
Been There Done That

I wouldnt have paid for some of the fight night matchups.

In the HDLS household, we have one of the international 24 hour mostly UFC channels and it costs $25/month (separate from any other cable package) and includes all the UFC events live along with lots of repeats of past events and even some of the local MMA leagues and a few non-MMA combat sports (KB/BJJ/judo/etc)....

$25 is still in the ballpark for "reasonable".

Old 12 August 2016, 00:34
Confirmed User

Just for clarity, SL/KKR are both considered PE vs VC. I would actually consider PE more gremlin than VC as the risk with VC investments is HUGE.

Prices definitely will go up as it's all about what the market will bear. The appetite for this stuff is insane and people are will to pay through the nose for it which quite honestly, baffles me.
Old 18 October 2016, 22:19
All Labs Matter

...and so it begins...admin layoffs anyway

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/10/ufc-lay...ief-ken-berger

Our new posting rules