Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 31 July 2016, 23:17
Been There Done That

Rio 2016 Olympics

Figure it is time to start a 2016 Olympics thread.

Read this article today, and of course shared it with my 14 year old niece who is going out for swimming this year. I think this speaks to the spirit of the games. I always like seeing the underdogs from smaller countries compete. I remember 8 years ago, Thailand going berserk when a young Thai lady took the Gold in powerlifting.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ki...054104642.html

China again will be the biggest threat to the USA of the overall win. 2012 USA had 46 Gold, 29 Silver, 20 Bronze Vs China's 38 Gold, 27 Silver, 23 Bronze.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 31 July 2016, 23:28
Genetically Deplorable

But who had the youngest gymnast?

Seriously I'm looking forward to the Games. It seems that even with all the rumors and all the bad news typically leading up to them these days they are always pulled off and provides a pretty decent show. A good friend of mine is a contractor over there right now doing medical stuff. He says it's nowhere near as bad as being made out in the press and on Drudge Report.
Old 1 August 2016, 00:14
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Rio seems like a prime ISIS target:
women doing things unwomanly while undressed;
all the heretic nations present;
slums and chaotic conditions make entry and exit easier;
lots of worldwide instant free media coverage.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 1 August 2016, 00:18
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Rio seems like a prime ISIS target:
Authorities there have already nabbed a couple dozen critters with nefarious plans for the event. I hope things go well and the local law keeps things safe for everyone.
Old 2 August 2016, 15:27
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The biggest danger, at least for the rowing and sailboat teams, will be falling into the water.

I've heard it's a toxic mess.

I look forward to the early stages which highlight the little pixies defying gravity.
Old 2 August 2016, 17:38
Doc McNasty

When I was teaching MCD, once we switch them to closed circuit, we only dive at night for the rest of the course. So those were the afternoons I could walk the kids home from school, attend after-school events, etc. Like my daughters' gymnastics class. I'd be the only Dad sitting there in the bleachers with the Moms, looking and feeling like the world's biggest perv while we watched all our little girls bounce around in leotards. Finally, I just got a beer and Cuban sandwich up the street at Key West sandwich shop after I dropped her off. Haven't watched gymnastics since!
Old 2 August 2016, 18:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I look forward to the early stages which highlight the little pixies defying gravity.
Yes. The US is going to kick ass. I disagree with one of the picks for the women's team, but what's done is done.
Old 2 August 2016, 18:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The biggest danger, at least for the rowing and sailboat teams, will be falling into the water.
"Moreover, last month mutilated body parts washed ashore, and no one is fully confident that swimming in its waters is completely safe."

Old 2 August 2016, 18:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Yes. The US is going to kick ass. I disagree with one of the picks for the women's team, but what's done is done.
Well, looks like one Japanese gymnast has his thoughts more on Pokemon Go in Brazil, rather than Olymplic gold. LMAO.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/japanese-olympic-gymnast-runs-up-5000-phone-bill-playing-pokemon-go-in-brazil-213212293.html

Old 2 August 2016, 18:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well, looks like one Japanese gymnast has his thoughts more on Pokemon Go in Brazil, rather than Olymplic gold. LMAO.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/japanese-olympic-gymnast-runs-up-5000-phone-bill-playing-pokemon-go-in-brazil-213212293.html
I saw that. $5k in roaming charges, but his provider dropped it to $30 or something.

I find it hard to believe he didn't know about roaming charges, though.
Old 2 August 2016, 18:59
Been There Done That

Of all the things coaches have to worry about, deal with...now they have to worry about their athletes roaming around the the streets of Rio playing Pokeman Go. LMAO.

Old 2 August 2016, 20:43
Confirmed User

Meh...

...show me some indoor track cycling and I'll be a happy camper...
Old 5 August 2016, 22:46
Confirmed User

LP, thanks for posting this. Watching the ceremony now. Interesting to see how individuals[countries] test themselves with strength and determination-of course outside of mil service.
Old 5 August 2016, 22:49
Authorized Personnel

I never realized that some countries -- due to their size -- can fail to officially qualify yet still enter their athletes with their two highest scores in their events in order for their country to be represented.
Old 6 August 2016, 00:51
Very Deplorable

Haha... Why are the counties out of true alphabetical order but in phonetic alphabetical order? I think some Brazilian fucked up his English skills..

Kinda funny... Maybe just the beers...
Old 6 August 2016, 01:06
Very Deplorable

Ohhhh
It's in the Brazilian Portuguese language.
Haha.
Old 6 August 2016, 07:11
Been There Done That

Is anybody going to go berserk over the climate change theme of the opening ceremony or what?
22 Aug 17
Old 6 August 2016, 09:51
Authorized Personnel

I was laughing at the fact that they are planting all these trees in the Atheletes Forest... that according to their climate change message should be underwater sometime tomorrow.
Old 6 August 2016, 10:22
Authorized Personnel

And we win first Gold; Women's 10m Air Rifle.
Old 6 August 2016, 13:15
Very Deplorable

We got this!

Our new posting rules