Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 23 August 2016, 09:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
It should be amateurs only. It's a money greed spectacle of unwatchable dreck now, ruined by television...
Agreed. The coverage is unwatchable. The talking heads rambling incoherently and spending twice as long yapping as the event takes kills any joy in watching competition.

Quote:
At this point they should just scrap the games. All they are are a means for host cites to boost tourism and revenue.
Most host cities and countries lose tens of millions in hosting the games and the local population get the pleasure of experiencing even more oppression from their government.
Old 25 August 2016, 04:42
Livin' On Blues Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Bro, the Cubs are finally going to win it this year.
Nah, just like my Blues, the Cubbies will find a way to auger into the ground. Shitting the bed is their destiny.
Old 25 August 2016, 14:57
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

And yet, the Cubs chances of winning it all this year far exceed the Blues chances of hoisting the Cup.

Closing in on 50 years of futility. Such a pity.

BTW, spectr, who will St. Louis football fanatics root for this year? Rams? Cardinals? Or do they just throw a dart at a list of NFL teams and just go with whatever it hits?
Old 26 May 2017, 16:12

The verdict is in...

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/rios-e...183332226.html

...hosting the Olympics is a losing proposition for the host city. I still have no idea why cities continue to allow themselves to be held hostage to this idea that hosting the games is a good thing.

IOC is still one of the most corrupt, arrogant sporting bodies on earth. If they want to put on games, they should choose two permanent venues, build their arenas, and put on games.

Leave us poor saps out of it, except for those two weeks we tune in to watch.
Old 26 May 2017, 17:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
...hosting the Olympics is a losing proposition for the host city.
Isn't that pretty much true for all professional (yes, I include the Olympics) sports? All these cities spending billions of dollars to build new stadiums; money they tore from the average citizen via taxes to build a stadium that benefits a few owners. Has any city ever made a profit from doing so? Why can't the owners, if doing so is profitable, spend their own money to build a new stadium?

Here in Fredericksburg, they've been rumbling (pro & con) for years about moving the MiLB Hagerstown Suns here, but the team owners won't do so unless "someone else" builds them a new stadium, and the local governments generally (and rightfully) have no interest in doing so.

Plus, there's already a Nationals Class A affiliate in PWC; no doubt they'll conflict with each others fan bases...
Old 26 May 2017, 17:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Isn't that pretty much true for all professional (yes, I include the Olympics) sports? All these cities spending billions of dollars to build new stadiums; money they tore from the average citizen via taxes to build a stadium that benefits a few owners. Has any city ever made a profit from doing so? Why can't the owners, if doing so is profitable, spend their own money to build a new stadium?

Here in Fredericksburg, they've been rumbling (pro & con) for years about moving the MiLB Hagerstown Suns here, but the team owners won't do so unless "someone else" builds them a new stadium, and the local governments generally (and rightfully) have no interest in doing so.

Plus, there's already a Nationals Class A affiliate in PWC; no doubt they'll conflict with each others fan bases...
The NFL is one of THE WORST offenders of all of them. They go into cities and make tons of demands that need to be made before they will go to that city for events. And, their demands have to be funded by someone other than themselves.
Old 26 May 2017, 17:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
The NFL is one of THE WORST offenders of all of them. They go into cities and make tons of demands that need to be made before they will go to that city for events. And, their demands have to be funded by someone other than themselves.
I'm not a fan of the Packers, but I am a giant proponent of their business model. I think it (and their fan base, as obnoxious as they are ) is the reason that a small city like GB still has an NFL team. I believe it keeps the management from getting stupid. IMO, every team should be run that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers,_Inc.
Old 26 May 2017, 22:20
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Because they didn't get rich and stay that way by opening their wallet? Better to use someone else's money than their own, all they have to do is buy a few politicians and they can have YOUR money. "Build me a shiny new stadium and I'll bring my circus to your town"......

SUCKERS.

:coughLasVegasRaiderscoughcough:

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 27 May 2017, 04:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Isn't that pretty much true for all professional (yes, I include the Olympics) sports? All these cities spending billions of dollars to build new stadiums; money they tore from the average citizen via taxes to build a stadium that benefits a few owners. Has any city ever made a profit from doing so?
The organizers of the World Cup spent almost $1B to build a stadium in Brasilia which is the capital of Brazil. From wikipedia: the project was completed at a cost of US$900 million, against an original budget of US$300 million, making the stadium the second-most expensive football stadium in the world after England's Wembley Stadium

Here is the funny part: Brasilia doesn't have any first division pro soccer teams. I make occasional trips to Brasilia and, even before the World Cup, people were wondering how the heck they'd use a $1B stadium after the WC. High school matches?

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 27 May 2017, 13:01
Confirmed User

Quote:

The chargers recently left San Diego because the city wouldn't build them a new stadium. For once the city actually made a good decision and told the owners of the team to get bent. Forcing taxpayers to foot the bill for this shit is asinine.
Old 27 May 2017, 13:38

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the Packers, but I am a giant proponent of their business model. I think it (and their fan base, as obnoxious as they are ) is the reason that a small city like GB still has an NFL team. I believe it keeps the management from getting stupid. IMO, every team should be run that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers,_Inc.
The Packers are an anomaly, they are the only team in the NFL where there is no majority owner, and their charter is unique in that if the team ever were "sold", all proceeds would go to the local American Legion, or perhaps the statewide Legion HQ.

There are some exceptions to the taxpayer charity extended to pro teams, most notably the Dallas Cowboys and the Chicago Cubs, which have undertaken all of their stadium construction/rehabilitation through their own dime, or that of sponsors and other investors.

One of the worst deals Chicago ever made was to build the monstrosity that hosts the Chicago White Sox when Reinsdorf threatened to move the team. That is a taxpayer funded venue that benefits nobody but the Sox.

I still follow certain teams, mostly the Blackhawks and Cubs. The Bears exist for me at this point just to poke fun at. I don't even bother with the Bulls or the NBA anymore.
Old 6 October 2017, 19:55

Prosecutors: $2 million bribe scheme to steer Olympics to Rio ó and away from Chicago

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...006-story.html

Who in their right mind didn't know that the fix was in for Rio? The IOC is right up there with the soccer federation when it come to corruption and bribery, maybe even worse.

I've always heard stories that the IOC exists as a money making racket for all the faded aristocracies in Europe, especially those now defunct principalities that used to dot the continent. Now a bunch of long forgotten princes from royal houses that nobody has ever heard of basically wait for the IOC voting to come around every few years so they can stick their hands out and grab some of that easy money.

Although there was a bright side to all this, the corruption prevented Chicago from getting the Olympics. Who knows, if one of these titans of business from Chicago had played the game better, like you would expect a Chicagoan to be capable of, then the city would be in even worse financial shape than it is now.

Shit like this always makes me think of Claude Rains in Casablanca.

Old 8 October 2017, 10:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
!!!! yep. Rupp takes the Bronze! Outstanding!!!!!!!!
Rupp just won the Chicago marathon. He pulled away with 3 miles to go and set a PR. Itís the first time an American born male has won since 1982. Hereís to Tokyo 2020.

Our new posting rules