Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 6 August 2016, 13:18
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I was watching one of the the women's single scull 2000 qualifying heats this morning (won by an American), and kept wondering when the first body part would go floating by.

I'll bet they're sweeping that area before races to gather up any "debris" that might impede the race.

And check out the USA basketball accommodations, a nicely appointed cruise ship. None of that Olympic Village crap for these players. I also heard it mentioned that IOC officials stay on a cruise ship too.

IMO, the IOC people, from the top down, should have to live in the Olympic Village from beginning to end, regardless of the conditions. It's been clear for decades now that the Olympics is just a money making scheme for corrupt Europeans from faded aristocracies, a luxury cruise ship for its top officials just confirms it.

And yet, I'll watch the damn thing anyway. I'm like a junkie waiting for his fix of rhythm gymnastics and other obscure olympic sports that I only watch once every four years.

Only two more years until I can watch the Curling event, I'm already jonesing.
Old 6 August 2016, 13:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsapper View Post
And we win first Gold; Women's 10m Air Rifle.
Pretty awesome. She beat out two Chinese, silver and bronze right on her tail, including the 2012 Gold medal winner. She competes again in a few days in the 50m.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11c673789059fc39f43fc0eeeaf9a6b9.jpg (40.9 KB, 210 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 August 2016, 14:02
Deplorable

She's much more appealing than HRC was at that age.

[In regards to the pic in another thread.]
Old 6 August 2016, 14:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Pretty awesome. She beat out two Chinese, silver and bronze right on her tail, including the 2012 Gold medal winner. She competes again in a few days in the 50m.
I can believe they allow a weapon of death in the Olympics....

Congrats to her.
Old 6 August 2016, 17:45
Authorized Personnel

That was outstanding marksmanship!

Congratulations young lady of a fine job!
Old 6 August 2016, 19:20
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

That rifle would probably be pretty good for taking out varmints. And a great name for a shooter, Virginia Thrasher. Named after the state she grew up in.

I looked her up, she was an aspiring figure skater before she switched sports about 5 years ago.

Pretty cool to score the first gold in the games.
Old 6 August 2016, 19:52
War on Christmas veteran

I'm looking forward to the gymnastics... men's and women's.
Watching the gymnastics has always impressed the hell out of me in regards to what feats the human body is capable of.
I'm pretty indifferent about the other sports.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 6 August 2016, 19:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
Watching the gymnastics has always impressed the hell out of me in regards to what feats the human body is capable of.
Gymnastics is my favorite sport as well. I was a little disappointed in one of our selected females, but I think we have a winning team in both men's and women's.
Old 6 August 2016, 20:08
BTDT

To be honest, I could care less about the Olympics. When I was little, and it was Good versus Evil, or the US against the Evil Empire of the USSR, I used to beg to stay up and watch the bloodless combat as nations vied for world domination...I would watch every sport, and cheer for every US athlete, summer and winter. Couldn't wait for the daily medal count...now, meh, who cares.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 6 August 2016, 20:16
Problem Solver

Quote:

Watching the gymnastics has always impressed the hell out of me in regards to what feats the human body is capable of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post

Gymnastics is my favorite sport as well. I was a little disappointed in one of our selected females, but I think we have a winning team in both men's and women's.
It wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility for the U.S women to take overall gold and also sweep the individual golds as well.

Insanely talented team, especially Simone Biles.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 6 August 2016, 20:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
We got this!
We better have it, with over 540 competitors and beating China by 57 points in bball...
Old 6 August 2016, 23:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Is anybody going to go berserk over the climate change theme of the opening ceremony or what?
I didn't see the opening ceremony; otherwise, I just may have...
Old 6 August 2016, 23:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Agreed, and we have a hometown boy in gymnastics this year in Jacob Dalton. Makes it more interesting to root for the kid.
Old 7 August 2016, 00:04
Confirmed User

Protests during the Torch Run in Rio......

Looks like a job for Captain Nascimento and Elite Squad!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36971906
Old 7 August 2016, 00:08
Authorized Personnel

I pretty much could give a shit about the Olympics anymore. It seems they just let everything be a sport, and they let pros play, too, which just soured me on it all. I do admit the gymnasts are pretty cool, but when you have basketball and football and golf? Come the fuck on.
Old 7 August 2016, 00:09
Been There Done That

Gymnastics are awesome but I get into the swimming and track as well, specifically the sprinters and relays in both sports. Basketball? Meh, just like the NBA, I'll watch the final game. Can't believe that wrestling will no longer be in the Olympics after these games, wrestling has been in the Olympics since 700B.C.
Old 7 August 2016, 00:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Can't believe that wrestling will no longer be in the Olympics after these games, wrestling has been in the Olympics since 700B.C.
Exactly. I think the only team sports should be variations of relay races...
Old 7 August 2016, 00:20
Confirmed User

She grew up in Roswell N.M. Virginia Thrasher won the first gold medal in this year's Olympics. She won gold in the 10-Meter Air Rifle competition. What you may not know is that our own BETSY FRISINGER STORMONT use to be on the U.S. Shooting Team for many years. I believe she was shooting .22 caliber rifle at moving targets the size of a dime as they move across a 10-20 foot (or so) wide opening then disappear. As I recall, while Betsy competed in various countries and competitions, such as Pan-Am games, sadly her target shooting was not an Olympic event at the time. Hooray for our own Betsy Frisinger and other many classmates with achievements we do not know about. Her Goddard High School Picture. I grew up in Roswell N.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Betsy-Frisinger-Stormont.jpg (7.3 KB, 141 views)
Old 7 August 2016, 00:47
Been There Done That

2 last gripes/bitches. I saw the chick volleyball with US vs, Puerto Rico. WTF does Puerto Rico and Guam have their own Olympic Teams and not members of the US team? PR really likes when Uncle Sugar bails them out to the tune of $70 Billion but they can't be on our Olympic team? Also saw a female AMERICAN swimmer, Farida Osman, representing Egypt in the games. I wonder what kind of reception she'd get in Tharir Square wearing that swimsuit after Thursday prayers.
Old 7 August 2016, 01:48
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I pretty much could give a shit about the Olympics anymore. It seems they just let everything be a sport, and they let pros play, too, which just soured me on it all. I do admit the gymnasts are pretty cool, but when you have basketball and football and golf? Come the fuck on.
Completely agree.

I lump golf in with bowling, skiing, gymnastics, swimming, and most track and field stuff as events but not sports, since nobody is playing defense. There is no human opposition and the individual performance could be done at any time with the score mailed in and achieve the same result. Swimming the fastest lap is not influenced by whether there is someone else in the next lane over, nor is the distance a javelin is thrown influenced by how many people are standing in line to take their turn. Outside of cute, athletic girls in skimpy uniforms there isn't much attraction for me to watch any of that, and even that can't be enjoyed with much gusto because at any time the announcer might say that the cutie is underage, which makes me feel guilty for having enjoyed looking.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules