Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 August 2016, 05:23
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Trump throws his support for the Mexican track and field competitors.
The fake Donald twitter posts are hilarious.
I just hope this world is sane enough to know they are fake.
Old 8 August 2016, 09:46
Very Deplorable

Hahahaha. That's funny right there!
Old 8 August 2016, 14:25
Confirmed User

I gotta say that woman's 7's rugby has been pretty entertaining to watch....only 7 minute halves...... but damn they go at it.
Old 8 August 2016, 15:23
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
That's BEACH volleyball. Oh yeah!
With all of the various programming going on, from different sources, I can't figure out when the Italian womens beach volleyball team is playing.

The lovely Marta Menegatti is competing again in this summer's Olympics, can't go wrong there. Nobody celebrates a point with her teammate like Menegatti.

[/QUOTE]
Old 8 August 2016, 18:48
Confirmed User

I haven't watched the Olympics much since we kicked the Russians asses in hockey in 1980.
Old 9 August 2016, 19:02
Confirmed User

And the US women's gymnastics team trounced everyone for gold. By about 8 points.
Old 10 August 2016, 10:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
And the US women's gymnastics team trounced everyone for gold. By about 8 points.
Well, when your competition literally flies off the white mat during the floor exercise, it makes your job at capturing the gold that much easier. By the end of the night, I think Biles needed just a 7.03 score in her final floor exercise for the team to capture gold...
Old 10 August 2016, 15:39

Even though Gabby will compete again in uneven bars for an individual medal, you could sense she felt a little awkward not being able to compete in more than that event for the team medal.

Not to mention not being able to repeat in the all around. Although at least she scored a medal, Missy Franklin is getting trounced in just about every event I've seen her in so far.
Old 10 August 2016, 15:51
Genetically Deplorable

There is now an Olympic Refugee team. The Olympic Committee and the United Nations selected 5 refugees to represent the "worldwide refugee crisis", as they put it. They are competing under the Olympic flag. There is at least one Syrian, which is most likely a poke in the eye of America. I'm sympathetic to the issue but putting an Olympic team together like this is nothing but politics. I guess next we'll have a worldwide pedophile team, a LGT team, a victim of police violence team, and who knows what the hell else.
Old 10 August 2016, 16:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Missy Franklin is getting trounced in just about every event I've seen her in so far.
Yeah. What the hell happened to her? She was supposed to be the next big thing in women's swimming...
Old 10 August 2016, 16:48
BTDT

The Olympics account for those fleeting moments that come along every few years that allows us to pretend to be passionate about obscure sports that we don't normally care about...
...which, might I add, mens water polo was on in the coffee shop this morning while I was getting my morning Joe.

I am hoping that some big American city builds a watersports complex so we can finally watch professional water polo during prime time.
Just imagine the money to be made selling pro-sports memorabilia:
Toledo Tadpoles T-Shirts
Detroit Dolphins Desktop Displays
Oakland Oilslick game jerseys
...the sky is the limit

Ticket master could sell water polo season tickets and FuBu could sell shoes made in all of your favorite pro-water-polo team colors.

...or I could just watch reruns of "The Big Bang Theory"
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 10 August 2016, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Yeah. What the hell happened to her? She was supposed to be the next big thing in women's swimming...
She was...until she wasn't.

Ledecky is this year's Olympic swim goddess. Same with Gabby Douglas, the only reason she got a slot on the team this year is because she is a killer on the bars.

4 years from now, maybe it will be Biles on the bubble.

Kerri Walsh Jennings doesn't appear to have missed a step with her new partner, she's still as dominant as when she won her first gold.
Old 10 August 2016, 20:28
Been There Done That

Huh? Did not know Kuwait was banned from the Olympics. And that athletes from Kuwait had to participate as independents? Well, anyway congratulations to Fehaid Al-Deehani, Gold medal in Trap. And I have to applaud him for his act of protest.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indepen...000000484.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 August 2016, 20:36
Authorized Personnel

Call me a traitor, but I was really hoping Australia would beat our basketball team.
Old 10 August 2016, 20:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Call me a traitor, but I was really hoping Australia would beat our basketball team.
I agree. I am not a fan of Basket Ball in the Olympics, once they opened the doors to professional athletes. Gives the USA a unfair advantage, and goes against what I believe the spirit of the games is for. And maybe I am just not a fan of the overpaid NBA Thugfest entertainers to begin with.

Old 10 August 2016, 20:42
Been There Done That

Personally, I don't like the big sports like Soccer or Basketball in the Olympics. There are other venues for this. World Cup, etc.

I like the Olympics for the sports you never really see anywhere else, that are not professional. Air Rifle, Trap, Swimming, Track and Field, gymnastics, wrestling (the real version), fencing, power lifting, etc. Brings out the real competitors and athletes, from many nations.

Old 10 August 2016, 21:09
Authorized Personnel

I'm a bit irritated that they live on a cruise ship while the rest of the athletes live in the Olympic village. Don't want to live in the barracks, don't go to the games. Let the college players go do it.
Old 10 August 2016, 21:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I'm a bit irritated that they live on a cruise ship while the rest of the athletes live in the Olympic village. Don't want to live in the barracks, don't go to the games. Let the college players go do it.
This has been going on for several olympics. This is not the first time. I agree that they should get to the Olympic village if they want to represent.....
Old 10 August 2016, 21:19
Authorized Personnel

First time I've heard about it. I DESPISE the NBA, but love college basketball. I just can't get interested in the Olympics this year.
Old 10 August 2016, 21:20
Reverse Apache Master

What's up with Gabby Douglas not putting her hand over her heart during the National Anthem?

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon

Our new posting rules