Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 August 2016, 21:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Personally, I don't like the big sports like Soccer or Basketball in the Olympics. There are other venues for this. World Cup, etc.

I like the Olympics for the sports you never really see anywhere else, that are not professional. Air Rifle, Trap, Swimming, Track and Field, gymnastics, wrestling (the real version), fencing, power lifting, etc. Brings out the real competitors and athletes, from many nations.
I'm of the same mind.

As far as Gabby Douglas not putting her hand over her heart...I heard someone talking about her response where she apologized and said she just forgot because of how overwhelming the moment was. Didn't sound like it was any sort of political statement, more of a David Wottle forgetting to remove his hat type deal.
Old 10 August 2016, 23:01
Confirmed User

For clarification purposes power lifting is not in the olympics (though I think it would be cool if there was more than one barbell sport in the Olympics). It's called Weightlifting (Snatch and Clean & Jerk) and we (US) suck at it really bad, at least compared to a lot of other countries.

A fun fact is that ALL Russian weightlifters were banned from competing in Weightlifting in the Olympics this year hahahaha so many of their athletes pissed hot it was ridiculous so IWF and IOC kicked them out.

But there was a guy that clean and jerked THREE TIMES his own body weight, which was pretty fucking impressive.

I only watched swimming to see Kelsey Worrel swim. Took a couple courses at U of L with her last year. She complimented me on one of my presentations, so I've got that going for me
Old 10 August 2016, 23:07
Been There Done That

^Did you see the Armenian weight lifter snap his elbow. Damn, ouch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 August 2016, 23:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
^Did you see the Armenian weight lifter snap his elbow. Damn, ouch!
YEA! Looked like ulnar dislocation? Either way shit is probably painful. A lot of dudes don't come back from injuries like that. I suspect we'll see at least one more, possibly from the 85s tomorrow

Did you see the chick that dropped a snatch on the back of her head......then win the gold medal? hahaha
Old 11 August 2016, 02:40
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
First time I've heard about it. I DESPISE the NBA, but love college basketball. I just can't get interested in the Olympics this year.
Agreed.

Hate the NBA.
Old 11 August 2016, 07:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
I agree. I am not a fan of Basket Ball in the Olympics, once they opened the doors to professional athletes. Gives the USA a unfair advantage, and goes against what I believe the spirit of the games is for. And maybe I am just not a fan of the overpaid NBA Thugfest entertainers to begin with.
Olympic hockey is full of NHL and international professionals but I bet most still stay in the Olympic village.
Old 11 August 2016, 11:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Well, when your competition literally flies off the white mat during the floor exercise, it makes your job at capturing the gold that much easier. By the end of the night, I think Biles needed just a 7.03 score in her final floor exercise for the team to capture gold...
Fair point. The US women's team would've won if all teams had hit 12 for 12, though. We are that dominant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Even though Gabby will compete again in uneven bars for an individual medal, you could sense she felt a little awkward not being able to compete in more than that event for the team medal.

Not to mention not being able to repeat in the all around. Although at least she scored a medal, Missy Franklin is getting trounced in just about every event I've seen her in so far.
Douglas only got picked because she is great on bars. I still think it was a mistake to pick her.

I'm honestly glad she didn't make the all-around. Biles and Raisman have been a lot better than her in the past few meets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
There is now an Olympic Refugee team. The Olympic Committee and the United Nations selected 5 refugees to represent the "worldwide refugee crisis", as they put it. They are competing under the Olympic flag. There is at least one Syrian, which is most likely a poke in the eye of America. I'm sympathetic to the issue but putting an Olympic team together like this is nothing but politics. I guess next we'll have a worldwide pedophile team, a LGT team, a victim of police violence team, and who knows what the hell else.
The Syrian swimmer kind of impressed me, TBH.
Old 11 August 2016, 13:10
Reverse Apache Master

I don't get wrapped up in the feelz much, but I actually thought this was an interesting article and makes me wonder a little if there was some political intent behind the changes made to our National Anthem for the Olympics to make it sound less triumphant and more subdued.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/12/sp...rio-games.html

Quote:
RIO DE JANEIRO — The playing of the United States’ national anthem at Olympic medal ceremonies is bringing tears to the eyes of American athletes here. Elsewhere, the song is having a very different effect.

“It is driving me crazy,” said Jason DeBord, a 45-year-old living in Ann Arbor, Mich. “I hit the mute button, or I make dinner, or I just sit there and brace myself.”

DeBord has nothing against displays of patriotism, nor is he simply eager to return to the action. What irritates him is the version of “The Star-Spangled Banner” being used at the Olympics. Put bluntly, it has been butchered.

O.K., that might overstate the problem. Maybe it would be more accurate to say the song has been altered in ways that rob it of its oomph, its power and its optimistic essence.

Jason DeBord, a faculty member of the University of Michigan’s department of musical theater, explains the changes made to “The Star-Spangled Banner” being played at the Olympics.

Specifically, DeBord said, this “Banner” segues several times to minor chords, which in the Western canon are considered melancholic, in places where major chords, which are heartier and more upbeat, are the norm. The effect, DeBord said, is a rendering of the anthem that is darker and sadder.

“It has a totally different emotional feel,” he said. “It is supposed to have an ascending chord structure. Instead, it sort of has a descending chord structure.”

In short, this is a defeatist “Star-Spangled Banner,” and it is broadcast, around the globe, at a moment of ecstatic, international triumph.

DeBord, who spent 16 years on Broadway as a conductor and pianist, is on the faculty at the University of Michigan’s department of musical theater. He is the first to admit that few people are likely to notice, let alone be bothered by, the elements of the song that annoy him. But when he posted his feelings on his Facebook page, he quickly found that he had company. Lots of perturbed company.

“Glad it’s not just me,” one commenter wrote.

Another person posted: “Sounds like a music school project gone awry. Just awful.”

“I’m not on Twitter,” someone else added, “but there must be a way to tell ‘them’!!!”

Asked for the particulars of his beef with this “Banner,” DeBord offered to head to the piano in his home and provide a live tutorial, over the phone. He quickly plowed through the beginning of the song — “O say, can you see, by the dawn’s early light” — but stopped when he got to “What so proudly we hailed.”

At “proudly,” he noted, the Olympic version of the anthem goes to one of those sad, dark minor chords where majors have long been the norm. He played the standard version and then the Olympic version — standard, Olympic, over and over. Once he pointed out the difference, it was obvious. The Olympic version was conciliatory, maybe even retreating. The standard version was chest-thumping and on the offense.

“It happens again on ‘rockets’ red glare,’” he said, hands on the piano, “and then again on ‘land of the free.’”

There is no official or definitive version of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” and that is no accident. The 1931 bill signed into law by President Herbert Hoover that adopted the song as the nation’s anthem is a model of terseness. It is mum about both lyrics and arrangement, which, said Mark Clague, an associate professor of musicology at the University of Michigan, is one reason the anthem has continued to evolve over the years.

“When Francis Scott Key wrote it, he’d just seen a decisive victory in Baltimore in the War of 1812, which was like a second war of independence,” he said in an interview. “He writes the song in celebration, and it’s played for years with a celebratory feel, up-tempo and light. Only later does it become the song we know, slower and more majestic.”

Clague, who is working on a book about “The Star-Spangled Banner,” did indeed notice the new Olympic take on the song. What struck him most was the way it handled the climactic “land of the free,” which is typically wrung for maximum emotion.

“Here it goes to a minor chord,” he said, “so rather than having that firm, confident expression of the word ‘free,’ you get an unstable, questioning chord. Where you should be feeling victory, you have a question mark.”

Clague sounds less bothered by this take on the anthem. Maybe it is because he knows thousands of versions have been created over the years and he regards the tune as a variety of clay that everyone is free to mold. He also surmises that the arranger was adapting the song for the moment.

“When we play the anthem in the U.S., it’s often all about creating a sense of unity in the country,” he said. “The Olympics is a very different context. We’re really celebrating brotherhood, international cooperation, rather than martial qualities that anthems are often called upon to express. Three flags are being raised, not one. So I think that what has happened here is they’ve softened the song, de-emphasizing the militant aspect and emphasizing the song’s lyrical side, to bring out the community-of-nations idea.”

The United States Olympic Committee said it was not responsible for submitting the anthem to Olympic organizers. The group that is running the Rio Games said it would look into the origin of the United States anthem being played here.

This version may not be making its Olympic debut. According to DeBord and Clague, the version heard here in Rio was also used at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and the 2012 Summer Games in London. Those were in the key of C major and were 70 seconds long.

During a medal ceremony, Shazam, the song identification app, tagged the track as “The London Philharmonic Orchestra & Philip Sheppard.”

If this rendition originated in London, where did London get it?

As it happens, a 2012 YouTube video shows the ambitious effort undertaken in the lead-up to the London Games to record new arrangements of more than 200 national anthems.

That project was led by Sheppard, a British composer, cellist and professor at the Royal Academy of Music whose website states that he has scored more than 30 films and worked with David Bowie, Jeff Buckley, the Weeknd and many other recording artists. In the video, he is seen conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra at Abbey Road, the studio made famous by the Beatles.

Sheppard could not be reached Wednesday.

“The anthems serve a particular purpose at the Olympics,” he tells an off-screen interviewer in the video. “That is namely to get the flag up the pole during the gold medal ceremonies.”

He is making the practical point that the songs cannot go on and on. So one of his biggest challenges, he said, was ensuring that each anthem lasted 60 to 90 seconds. This meant dramatic cuts for some anthems — like Uruguay’s, which usually lasts for six and a half minutes — and looping repetition for others, like Uganda’s, which is only nine bars long.

All the countries had to sign off on the new arrangements, Sheppard says. At one moment in the video, he sounds a little nervous about whether Britain will give a thumbs-up.

The video ends, inexplicably, with the full, 70-second rendering of “The Star-Spangled Banner” as the camera shows an American flag. There is no commentary.

Is it possible that Sheppard went with minor chords as a way to shave time off the tune? The standard “land of the free,” for instance, when milked properly, takes its time.

DeBord doubts it. But for him, the need for edits could never justify such maddening results.

“You don’t need to compromise a piece of music,” he said, “to make it work for time.”

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 11 August 2016, 14:05
Been There Done That

"F" the IRS, that is all I have go to say. So you win a Gold medal, representing America. Then, "Oh, that Gold medal you were awarded has a worth to it, and we need to collect taxes on it". Seriously?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ol...031322377.html

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 11 August 2016, 14:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
"F" the IRS, that is all I have go to say. So you win a Gold medal, representing America. Then, "Oh, that Gold medal you were awarded has a worth to it, and we need to collect taxes on it". Seriously?

This makes perfect sense. After all the government provides the roads the infrastructure and the very air we breathe and water we drink.
Old 11 August 2016, 14:29
On the Extract Bird

Quote:

Seriously, the IRS is the mob enforcement arm, with the appropriate mentality that goes along with that, of the .gov's insatiable appetite for maintaining and accumulating their monopoly on power.

The IRS's motto very literally should just be "Fuck you, pay me".
Old 11 August 2016, 14:54
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:

It's not the medals they pay taxes on. They receive cash payments for medals earned ($25,000 for a gold medal, etc). I don't think they should be taxed, but I also don't think they should be paid in the first place.

Old 11 August 2016, 16:39
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Call me a traitor, but I was really hoping Australia would beat our basketball team.
Speaking of Australia, check out Michelle Jenneke's warmup routine (she's a hurdler).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3SLvZ2AVL0

If they put a pole behind her lane, we'd have some first class entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post

I'm honestly glad she didn't make the all-around. Biles and Raisman have been a lot better than her in the past few meets.
Raisman's first tumbling pass in her routine is unbelievable, like one of the analysts on TV said, she packs a lot into that first pass.
Old 11 August 2016, 19:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Raisman's first tumbling pass in her routine is unbelievable, like one of the analysts on TV said, she packs a lot into that first pass.
It is unbelievable. By far one of my favorite routines. Biles has an awesome routine, as well.
Old 11 August 2016, 22:13
Confirmed User

Holy shit. Phelps just wiped out the competition in the medley. We are witnessing something special....

...I hope he isn't doping...
Old 11 August 2016, 22:15
The atomic zit

He's cupping..
Old 11 August 2016, 22:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Holy shit. Phelps just wiped out the competition in the medley. We are witnessing something special....

...I hope he isn't doping...
Every so many years, there are Phelps, Jordans, etc., that come out of nowhere and dominate their sports. They make history while at their A game and then move on. They certainly make things interesting.

He simply destroyed his competitors in that race.
Old 11 August 2016, 22:42
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
From the article...
“When Francis Scott Key wrote it, he’d just seen a decisive victory in Baltimore in the War of 1812, which was like a second war of independence,” he said in an interview. “He writes the song in celebration, and it’s played for years with a celebratory feel, up-tempo and light. Only later does it become the song we know, slower and more majestic.”
Actually, Key didn't write a song, he wrote a poem (The Defense of Fort McHenry) the first part of which was then added to an already existing composition (The Anacreontic Song). Small points that a professor should know.

Last edited by btq96r; 11 August 2016 at 22:49.
Old 12 August 2016, 00:09
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
Actually, Key didn't write a song, he wrote a poem (The Defense of Fort McHenry) the first part of which was then added to an already existing composition (The Anacreontic Song). Small points that a professor should know.
What does that have to do with the point of the article? Anything, or are you just being pedantic?

He's talking about the tone/mood of the song being triumphant because Key had just witnessed the American flag flying "triumphantly" during the battle.

So he wrote the lyrics, that were later put to existing music, which equals a song. And that SONG has an upbeat, victorious, chest-thumping, triumphant tone to it... Which was changed for the last few olympics (that just so happens/happened to be during the time when certain people are/were doing their damnedest to "take us down a notch" on the world stage) to a much more somber, defeatist tone.

I don't jump at conspiracy theories, but the article did make me think about it.

Old 12 August 2016, 00:28
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
What does that have to do with the point of the article? Anything, or are you just being pedantic.
If he's going to use historical evidence then he could at least get it right. Makes me wonder what else isn't on the up and up in his analysis.

As to the music itself, I'm not seeing anything dastardly. I watched a video where the 2008 and 2016 versions are compared, and yeah they're different, but it's still our anthem. They said this was from 2012, when The London Philharmonic Orchestra recorded anthems from some 200 countries. It's not reasonable for them to put the preferred level of pomp into each anthem. Why one group does this instead of each country simply being told to cut a 60 second track and give it to the IOC is beyond me.

Besides, with our athletes running up the medal count, the tone of the song doesn't matter...they're going to hear it a lot more than they want too.

Our new posting rules