Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 10 September 2016, 16:37
#BlackRiflesMatter

Made the mistake of shooting an XDm!

I have been SUPER HAPPY with my VP9 and it's amazing out of the box trigger! But last weekend I FU and decide to meet a couple buddies and their wives for Ladies Night at the range.

Big mistake! I picked up my friend's XDm "Competition" with 5.25 barrel and lightened slide...and fell in love. The trigger was as good as the VP9's. So, I asked if he had any trigger work done, and he said no, straight out of the box. About the same as the VP9 at around I'm guessing just over 5lb-ish.

I don't know if Springfield does any different trigger setup on the "Competion" model, or if all the XDm's are like that (?), but it was sweet. Anyone familiar with XDms that may know?
Old 10 September 2016, 16:55
#BlackRiflesMatter

I hope all the XDm triggers are like that, because this arrives from Davidson's this week. I plan to use it for Steel Challenge Open class with a compensator and small optic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiB-rKR9gEg
Old 10 September 2016, 18:12
Midgetologist

^^^^ Looked at one today but passed on it.
Seems very well made.
Old 10 September 2016, 19:30
#BlackRiflesMatter

I debated getting the "competition" version, but the threaded barrel version (is still 5.25) will let me run a compensator for Open class w/optic, or leave the thread cap on (with irons) and run Limited or Production classes. I hope the trigger is as sweet, but if it's heavier than the Competition model I can do some adjustment with a spring kit change. I may even put a small flashlight up front (open class, anyway) for added front weight, since I'm pulling from a large smooth leather holster made for an added flashlight anyway.

I may also lighten the slide like the competition version, as that made a big recoil difference, and allows lighter loads to function reliably. I plan to shoot USPSA "minor" PF with it eventually, but just Steel Challenge for now.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...on-series-9mm/

Last edited by Tycon; 10 September 2016 at 19:44.
Old 10 September 2016, 19:52
#BlackRiflesMatter

Here's a shot of the actual competition version for comparison...

But if I had to port the barrel, I'm locked into Open class only unless barrel swap. It sure did shoot sweet though!

The compensator on the threaded barrel instead, will give me the option w/o a barrel swap. And a little more fwd weight.

Last edited by Tycon; 10 September 2016 at 20:13.
Old 11 September 2016, 01:05
Confirmed User

I have the 9mm version of the XDM 5.25 and have no complaints with it. I don't shoot competition (as of yet), but did slap a TLR-1 on it and it is my HD piece. The trigger in it is "stock" XDM as apparently Springfield didn't bother putting in a higher end trigger due to their belief that most people who shoot competition are going to put in something fine tuned to their needs anyways. The stock trigger is pretty decent though and will become a little better over time I have found, but if you're looking to reduce travel and shorten the reset, Springer Precision or PRP makes some triggers kits that apparently are amazing. I am a big fan of the Springfield XD/XDM and would readily recommend it as an option for anyone looking for a decent handgun. I also like the idea of 19 + 1 for capacity. Plus......November is coming.....so never hurts to stock up on something that might not be as available or cheap as before.....

Last edited by Dogwelder; 11 September 2016 at 01:12.
Old 11 September 2016, 13:35
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwelder View Post
I am a big fan of the Springfield XD/XDM and would readily recommend it as an option for anyone looking for a decent handgun. I also like the idea of 19 + 1 for capacity. Plus......November is coming.....so never hurts to stock up on something that might not be as available or cheap as before.....
Thank you, DW. And spot on about November. I've been trying to get all squared away before Nov (esp:Mags/ammo), and what I can't accomplish before then definitely before January. You might say I have "trust issues".
Old 11 September 2016, 13:59
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwelder View Post
The stock trigger is pretty decent though and will become a little better over time I have found, but if you're looking to reduce travel and shorten the reset, Springer Precision or PRP makes some triggers kits that apparently are amazing.
Travel and reset don't bother me too much, but I would like about a 4lb "break"...and I think I can make that happen with just a $20 spring swap. Although, the whole drop in kits are only around $100+ and I don't have to send the gun away to do it.

I like the many (reasonable $) options available for the XDm after the limited amount of (more costly) HK VP9 stuff. I couldn't find a 5" target barrel for the VP9, and mags are $25ish for the XDm instead of $45ish for the HK. I may still keep the VP9 for Limited or Production class, since it IS a SUPER sweet shooter!

Or, with a VERY slight modification I can use the VP9 mags in my
(under-rated) Walther PPX "trasher/camping/kayaking" pistol.
LOL! Hell, I may trade the HK for two more (2ea.) PPX's if I can find 'em. Maybe one in .40 (and a set of reloading dies) for a future budget "major" PF shooter.

Last edited by Tycon; 11 September 2016 at 14:21.
Old 11 September 2016, 15:01
Been There Done That

I've never shot a more intuitive pistol. Can't wait to get my hands on one permanently.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 18 September 2016, 11:46
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
I've never shot a more intuitive pistol. Can't wait to get my hands on one permanently.
Have not shot one yet hoping to soon.
What were your likes/dislikes?
Old 18 September 2016, 16:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Have not shot one yet hoping to soon.
What were your likes/dislikes?
The only thing I dislike about the gun is that the PRC has banned it.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 19 September 2016, 19:57
#BlackRiflesMatter

The only thing I wasn't sure about were the over-size sights on the threaded barrel model. (photo above) I was going to change them out to an XS Big Dot, because of poor eyesight...(and not wanting to give up and go optic yet).

Then I realized with that over-sized front sight...I had a perfect "BigDot" already mounted. A little filing (on the back sight), and vis-glo-green on the front with a tiny black hashmark top-center...I think I'm gonna like these afterall. Instant "I-Dot".
Old 19 September 2016, 20:05
#BlackRiflesMatter

Stock trigger is about 6.5lbs...and I plan on a drop-in kit this week to drop that to about 4lbs, and shorten travel and reset.

Range report to follow.
Old 24 September 2016, 08:48
Midgetologist

After Dumping M11A1....

I ended up buying one in .45 ran 200 rds through it.
Really like it, finally found a big bore polymer that fits my hand and isn't the size of a cordless drill. I shoot low so suppressor sights kept me dead on shooting steel. My only advice is to take the thread protector when shooting a lot as one mag it is ready to fall off. I ran a mix of ammo from Magtech to stuff in a zip lock bag with no malfunctions.

I really hope SA will offer one in 10mm.

Now to give Litepath more money.

Mixed load was right on this weapon.
Old 24 September 2016, 12:41
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I shoot low so suppressor sights kept me dead on shooting steel.
Man, that is good to hear!

I'm anxious to see where they hit (for me) out of the box. Was looking forward to some range time, but instead I crawl under the truck. -sigh- Next Weekend.

PRP drop in trigger kit, maybe this week or next.
Old 24 September 2016, 13:23
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Man, that is good to hear!

I'm anxious to see where they hit (for me) out of the box. Was looking forward to some range time, but instead I crawl under the truck. -sigh- Next Weekend.

PRP drop in trigger kit, maybe this week or next.
I hit consistantly in the head, center mass and the pelvic girdle.

It was a toss up between XDM or HK 45 and this weapon fit my hand much better. The trigger like the VP or Glock smoothes out the more you shoot it or dry fire it FYI. You might want to do that before changing anything.
Old 10 October 2016, 17:43
Midgetologist

Really digging this weapon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VZM.IMG_20161004_094557.jpg (33.9 KB, 322 views)
Old 10 October 2016, 23:07
#BlackRiflesMatter

First weekend shooting steel coming up. Truck's still f'n with me (in the shop with 30yro front bushings!), but I can't wait any longer! Exact^ same weapon!
Will be hitting the indoor tomorrow just to sight her in.
Old 16 October 2016, 19:09
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
First weekend shooting steel coming up. Truck's still f'n with me (in the shop with 30yro front bushings!), but I can't wait any longer! Exact^ same weapon!
Will be hitting the indoor tomorrow just to sight her in.
Make sure you take the thread protector off, it gets loose after a few rounds.
Old 16 October 2016, 19:25
#BlackRiflesMatter

Range and SteelChallenge report:

Shot both indoor, and outdoor-SteelChallenge this week (finally!).

The indoor was just a check to see where the sights were. Turns out pretty good. ELEVATIONwas spot on, and I believe WINDAGE was good also, because I was just 1/2" to the left at 15-20yds, and I'm sure that was me "pushing" the new trigger to the left as it breaks at about 7lbs. Good enough for it's first steel match.

Need to break-in the new trigger before doing anything to sight adjustment.

Today's steel shoot: It took a couple stages to get calmed down and settle into this rig. I WISH the trigger was as sweet as the VP9 out of the box, but it has potential. It is smooth. I'll see how it is after another few hundred, before I decide on a drop-in trigger.

Also, I may go with smaller iron sights, or just "thin" the front post a little. Good enough at 15-20 yd shots, but a little big at the 35yd plates.

I DO like that 5.25 barrel! (I did remember to remove the thread protector! LOL! Thanks to your comment, bro!)

Our new posting rules