Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 27 December 2016, 11:38
Been There Done That

Customized Glock - Any experience?

Full disclosure: I've never been a gun-queer. I've learned how to use them because I view them as tools of the trade. So with that said...

An acquaintance of mine let me shoot his customized Glock 17 in CO last year and I was really digging how light it was, how the mechanics worked and have been thinking about either getting one or having someone do the work to mine.

Searching around the interwebs shows quite a few different companies doing it. I don't go on gunforums because I can't imagine talking to people whose lives revolve around "stopping power" or "1911 vs Glock", so how about we discuss it here?

Does anyone have a modified pistol (slide and/or grip work) and what was your take away? Who would you use to have it done, who in here does the work, and where's the best place for me to spend some of my money?

I kinda hope that someone here does it, to be honest, because it would be a great way to give back to the site for both parties.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 27 December 2016, 11:45
Midgetologist

Some info here.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...light=stipling
Old 27 December 2016, 12:15
Divides by zero

Like you, I view them as tools. I don't really get into the beauty contests or the physics behind it all. I can honestly say that stippling the grip on my G19 was by far the best "upgrade" for that particular tool.
No more grip tape for me. I am sold. And it was free to do.
Old 27 December 2016, 12:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Full disclosure: I've never been a gun-queer. I've learned how to use them because I view them as tools of the trade. So with that said...

An acquaintance of mine let me shoot his customized Glock 17 in CO last year and I was really digging how light it was, how the mechanics worked and have been thinking about either getting one or having someone do the work to mine.

Searching around the interwebs shows quite a few different companies doing it. I don't go on gunforums because I can't imagine talking to people whose lives revolve around "stopping power" or "1911 vs Glock", so how about we discuss it here?

Does anyone have a modified pistol (slide and/or grip work) and what was your take away? Who would you use to have it done, who in here does the work, and where's the best place for me to spend some of my money?

I kinda hope that someone here does it, to be honest, because it would be a great way to give back to the site for both parties.
I have a fully customized Zev Technologies G26. Basically, they did every modification they could, excepting a RDS. Finger grooves removed, double undercut trigger guard, slide milled, etc. in addition they replaced everything inside the gun, including adding a KKM barrel, as they don't make a G26 bbl in-house.

I love the thing. Zev triggers are fantastic, btw. Since it was essentially an entirely new gun, there was a break in period. I had a few (3) malfunctions in the first 100 rounds. After that, perfection.

I used it during my last High Threat Course for the duration. Shot perfect quals every time, and was the second High shooter overall for the class. Used factory G17 mags with the Teran Tactical mag extensions, with no issue.

Sadly, while I'm authorized to use it as a backup gun stateside, I had to leave it with my parents before coming to Egypt.

I have a good guy hookup with them, but regardless, I'd still recommend their work.
Old 27 December 2016, 12:25
Been There Done That

I have a G19 that I sent to Robar for frame and slide work, I highly recommend them. That said, I did it just for kicks, and not because it needed doing.

There are several good companies doing Glock work. IMO the best shops are WOTG, Robar, Zev, and Salient. The latter two are $$$$$$$. WOTG is owned/operated by a 20th SFG guy, Frank Proctor.
Old 27 December 2016, 12:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor Strike please View Post
I have a fully customized Zev Technologies G26. ...
Those are nice. I've seen them on social media and they're really stunning looking. Sticker shock though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I have a G19 that I sent to Robar for frame and slide work, I highly recommend them. That said, I did it just for kicks, and not because it needed doing.
I'll check them out. Like you...it's a want, not a need. But man, it is a nice want that I kinda need to have!

Old 27 December 2016, 13:09
The Sagacious One

Pat McNamara and Kyle Lamb shoot guns from Salient. IMHO, The Glock pistol is a blank canvas and has just as many after market modifications as a 1911, an AR, Ruger 10/22 or 870 shotgun.
Old 27 December 2016, 13:15
Been There Done That

I looked at it strictly from a dollar standpoint. How much money was I willing to put into a 500 dollar gun? The answer was not much. With the money people are spending on Glocks, you could by a much nicer gun or add a little and have a full on custom. At the end of the day a custom will still be a custom and a Glock will be just a Glock.

That being said I have a local guy that does some mods on Glocks for a very reasonable price. So will I have him do some work, sure. Especially on my G20SF with fits a role none of my other stuff does.
Old 27 December 2016, 13:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
I looked at it strictly from a dollar standpoint. How much money was I willing to put into a 500 dollar gun? The answer was not much. With the money people are spending on Glocks, you could by a much nicer gun or add a little and have a full on custom. At the end of the day a custom will still be a custom and a Glock will be just a Glock.

That being said I have a local guy that does some mods on Glocks for a very reasonable price. So will I have him do some work, sure. Especially on my G20SF with fits a role none of my other stuff does.
No argument here and a totally valid point. It's definitely putting $10k dollars into a Honda Civic rather than buying a Lexus from the start.

And to be perfectly honest, when I see $2k for an "Operator" pistol it doesn't make me want to hit the buy button. I'd be willing to sink a grand into my gun to make some good mods though.

One thing that I really enjoy about my Glock is that it never gives me any issues. It's also the gun I've shot my whole career so tuning it up feels right.

The only other pistol I'd want to own besides my Glock is the XD-M, and while I live in the PRC that isn't happening.

Old 27 December 2016, 13:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
No argument here and a totally valid point. It's definitely putting $10k dollars into a Honda Civic rather than buying a Lexus from the start.

And to be perfectly honest, when I see $2k for an "Operator" pistol it doesn't make me want to hit the buy button. I'd be willing to sink a grand into my gun to make some good mods though.

One thing that I really enjoy about my Glock is that it never gives me any issues. It's also the gun I've shot my whole career so tuning it up feels right.

The only other pistol I'd want to own besides my Glock is the XD-M, and while I live in the PRC that isn't happening.
Sending in my own pistol, my G26 cost me about $800.
Old 27 December 2016, 15:07
Calculating Infinity...

Funny, I was intending to post in the G19 thread and I saw this one posted today. Was looking for a RFI on http://smctacticalnc.com/ (SMC Tactical out of Garner, NC)
Stippling for 100 bucks(what I am looking for), and many other mod services.
Old 27 December 2016, 16:43
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Pat McNamara and Kyle Lamb shoot guns from Salient. IMHO, The Glock pistol is a blank canvas and has just as many after market modifications as a 1911, an AR, Ruger 10/22 or 870 shotgun.
I was going to drop my Glocks off there but after reading their reviews I pulled pitch. Seems like guys were sending in their stuff and it was getting lost in the sauce for months.

I think I'll tune them up with some Zev parts and call it a day.
Old 27 December 2016, 16:46
In Vino Veritas

Quote:

Agreed. I've been looking to make at least one Glock pistol ready for a RMR so it seems to make sense to just buy a slide already tricked out than have mine machined.
Old 27 December 2016, 17:27
Confirmed User

I do my own trigger jobs and sights. I have one full custom G19 by mod one. I've fired some of the full custom Zev and they are outstanding for competition.
Old 27 December 2016, 17:43
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I was going to drop my Glocks off there but after reading their reviews I pulled pitch. Seems like guys were sending in their stuff and it was getting lost in the sauce for months.

I think I'll tune them up with some Zev parts and call it a day.
I think they bought finished guns. I am not sure about the flash and fanfare of some of them, but to each his own. I like working on my own, If I fuck it up, c'est le guerre.

Here is one of my favorite carry Glocks, a G 38. I bought it for smoke change and the guy had totally screwed up the removal of the finger grooves. I keep this one in the safe so gavin can't get to it.

The higher up grooves were bad enough, but the mouth of the magwell was "eroded" away. I ended up attaching the magwell with some JB weld, did the stiple, added some Tru Glo TFO's and the XC-1 is just a bolt on. Add that to my fancy customized 2aholster from litepath and its good to go. I added the mag extensions due to the magwell so I have 9+1 in 45 caliber in a G 19 sized pistol.

Old 27 December 2016, 17:55
Been There Done That

Quote:

Personally, I don't see the point in spending $$$ or whatever to upgrade a Glock. Maybe just do a few things to it like change out the sights, new slide stop, maybe add a "beaver tail", or stiple the grips (easy to do yourself), change the slide color, etc. Maybe a treaded barrel if you are going to add a can. But, more than that, don't really see the need.

As you stated, if you are going to spend $2,000 a gun, might as well get a Hk p7m8 or a Les Baer, or a customized CZ IMHO.

I don't like messing with the triggers of Glocks either. Seen to many that have had problems this way, borderline NDs at the range, "double taps", etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 27 December 2016, 17:56
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I think they bought finished guns. I am not sure about the flash and fanfare of some of them, but to each his own. I like working on my own, If I fuck it up, c'est le guerre.

Here is one of my favorite carry Glocks, a G 38. I bought it for smoke change and the guy had totally screwed up the removal of the finger grooves. I keep this one in the safe so gavin can't get to it.

The higher up grooves were bad enough, but the mouth of the magwell was "eroded" away. I ended up attaching the magwell with some JB weld, did the stiple, added some Tru Glo TFO's and the XC-1 is just a bolt on. Add that to my fancy customized 2aholster from litepath and its good to go. I added the mag extensions due to the magwell so I have 9+1 in 45 caliber in a G 19 sized pistol.

I know you are old and wise. (Kind of like the Socnet Yoda) But you are the only person I have ever seen that shoots a 45 GAP. Gavin thinks it's because you've gone senile.
Old 27 December 2016, 18:17
Confirmed User

All of my Glocks have stippling, a friend of mine does them for me for free he does a good job on it, I have them done so the grips are just slightly more aggressive with out being so bad I can't carry them.... I have one G19 I sent to Frank Proctor WOTG and had them modify the Frame and put forward serrations on the slide, his grip work is more professional looking then my buddies work and I do like the slide cuts as I've gone from doing over hand slide manipulations to pinch method and find the cuts do help. I've handled some Zev, agency and shot Pat Macs Salient, For me I didn't see as the cost to benefit ratio was there for me with those guns, where as the WOTG work was fairly cheap and I just got moderate functional modifications done.
Old 27 December 2016, 18:42
Confirmed User

My WOTG G19, just a grip modification and Slide Cuts added, no internal work, I'll add a fitted barrel at some point later down the road..... don't know why my pictures are always upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4507.jpg (60.2 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by HF0311; 27 December 2016 at 18:54.
Old 27 December 2016, 19:09
Administrator

This dude does good work. I met him some years back when training at TDI.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com

Our new posting rules