Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 28 December 2016, 23:42
Authorized Personnel

I've been debating stippling one of my Glocks for 2-3 years now, but just haven't gotten around to giving it a shot.

Question for those who have done it. How much smoke is produced during the stippling? I had to sell the house over the summer and move into an apartment. Trying to figure out if I can get away with doing the work inside without setting off every alarm in the place.
Old 28 December 2016, 23:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I've been debating stippling one of my Glocks for 2-3 years now, but just haven't gotten around to giving it a shot.

Question for those who have done it. How much smoke is produced during the stippling? I had to sell the house over the summer and move into an apartment. Trying to figure out if I can get away with doing the work inside without setting off every alarm in the place.
Hardly any smoke. Just that burnt plastic smell, as the soldering iron I was using just melts the plastic. No issues at all. Took me a couple of leisure hours to do my Glock 21. After down stippling, ran some light grain sandpaper over it to smooth out the burs and spikes caused by the work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 December 2016, 00:52
sterious scizor

I ended up stippling my G42 (should have waited for the 43, I know) frame a bit last week. Only issue I had was my soldering iron at work has a long tip ( :D ) and it made it difficult to make the stippling uniform. I wanted to choke up on the thing to have more control but couldn't. It turned out find, though not sure I'd do the grip.

Only thing I think I feel compelled to change now is getting a 43, and putting a new trigger and sights on it. Then getting work to take back my issued 23 and give me a 19. I'd be set then.

I shot a friend's Agency Arms 19 that was pretty sweet, but I'd rather drop the $2000+ on a nice watch. I'd actually use that way more than a $$$ gun.
Old 29 December 2016, 02:15
Newbie shooter

When I decided to modify my guns, specifically my G43 it was in the interest of learning more about it. I decided I would do only mods I could do myself.

After watching a bunch of hours of youtube videos I did my own frame shaping and stippling with various sand paper and soldering iron. It came out looking pretty professional.

I installed a ghost trigger bar instead of a full new trigger and I almost totally fucked it up when I put it back together wrong, but that's part of the fun right?

I think my best mod on my G43 though has to be the Taran tactical +2 baseplates for my magazines. Really changes the grip profile and made it excellent.

I put a KKM barrel in it, but I admit that was mostly for looks.

The only mod I ended up having done by a gun smith was the Taran Tactical sights as I didn't want to mess those up.

I got a little cocky and while taking the thing apart one time lost the piece that removes the spent shell casing. This was right after the gun had come out and it was hell finding individual tiny parts. Now I make sure to work only in one space and keep much better track of my parts.

The net result was I learned a lot about my gun, it fits better in my hand and shoots better.

I think the best part of customizing is learning more about your platform of choice and what works best (for you).
Old 29 December 2016, 02:21
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
the piece that removes the spent shell casing.
....Nah, it's Christmas
Old 29 December 2016, 04:19
Been There Done That

My laser engraver should be in really soon....Friday?

I am going to do a shit ton of glock stippling with it
Old 29 December 2016, 05:34
Overseas Gunplumber

I have one stippled Glock 22 that Kyle Defoor did for me out at BW before it was all the rage (around 2006).

I own several Glocks and the only modifications I have made were essentially done by me and are almost all reversible. I can't see sinking 2K into a handgun.

1. Polish the entire trigger bar assembly and firing pin safety.

2. Ny Trigger with #3.5 connector.

3. Vickers Slide Stop

4. Vickers Magazine Release

5. Night Sights

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 29 December 2016, 10:37
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

Like LP says, not bad at all. I started by practicing on a water bottle cap. Then I moved on the +2 mag extension for the G 38. Here are some things I learned.

Don't make the wood burner or soldering iron too hot.

The longer /harder you push on the wood burner, the more aggressive the grip. Practice on a bottle cap to get the depth and pattern right.

Plot your pattern out ahead of time. I use a white china marker. Try not to get up too high on the back strap. It dig into the soft part your hand between your thumb and trigger finger.

Be meticulous, take your time and take a break, look away for a few minutes and check your pattern.
Old 29 December 2016, 16:48
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
....Nah, it's Christmas
the extractor.

and coquito was a factor.

(Puerto-rican christmas rum)
Old 2 January 2017, 23:42
Darwin Award Presenter

My son polished, with flitz all internals and feed ramp, added a 3.5 ghost trigger, undercut the trigger guard, added Vickers extended mag release and slide release, SS recoil rod, and some skateboard tape.

Voila!
Old 2 January 2017, 23:50
Been There Done That

I'm not a fan of the stainless steel or other metal recoil /guide rods in polymer-framed pistols. Strictly IMO, the frame is going to flex under recoil, and I don't want to put a long component in the frame that doesn't flex...maybe not a problem, maybe it is...just my .02...
Old 2 January 2017, 23:51
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
My son polished, with flitz all internals and feed ramp, added a 3.5 ghost trigger, undercut the trigger guard, added Vickers extended mag release and slide release, SS recoil rod, and some skateboard tape.

Voila!
No Picture?
Old 3 January 2017, 01:10
Calculating Infinity...

Those that have stippled their own guns, any recommendations on brand or models of soldering irons?
Old 3 January 2017, 07:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post

Voila!
Very cool. +1 on the picture request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I'm not a fan of the stainless steel or other metal recoil /guide rods in polymer-framed pistols. Strictly IMO, the frame is going to flex under recoil, and I don't want to put a long component in the frame that doesn't flex...maybe not a problem, maybe it is...just my .02...
That makes a lot of sense. I had never thought of that.
Old 3 January 2017, 11:35
Not a ninja...

Quote:
It's a good thought. I have seen the plastic ones chip off where the flared end rests against the depression in the barrel. But the pistol was still running fine. So there may be no need at all.. I have only done it to the G34 and left the others alone.. No problems yet with any of them.
Old 3 January 2017, 14:09
Darwin Award Presenter

Home customized G23C

Undercut trigger
Extended mag release (Vickers)
Extended slide release (Vickers)
Night Sights (Trijicon)
SS Guide rod (Glock Shop)
Side cut mag well for better purchase
Skateboard tape (stolen from kid)20141007_175647.jpg
Old 3 January 2017, 14:26
Darwin Award Presenter

I have another cool pic of my Titanium slide plate, flame anodized American flag, but I cannot upload it despite cropping and several other attempts????

I noticed this is an older pic, before the relief cuts we did on the mag well sides, basically a quarter moon sized cut on both sides to better get a grip when ripping the mag free if necessary.
Old 3 January 2017, 14:31
Darwin Award Presenter

Flame anodized Titanium slide plate

From ClassyRaptorTactical.com (A veteran owned business)
Old 3 January 2017, 18:00
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Those that have stippled their own guns, any recommendations on brand or models of soldering irons?
Just get one with multiple tip shapes.
Old 3 January 2017, 18:02
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Th only one I have a steel guide rod in is my G 20SF with a heavier spring.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 22 February 2017 at 12:12.

Our new posting rules