Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 4 June 2017, 19:24
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I don't like McGregor at all but respect him very much as a fighter and he's not a piece of shit human being like Mayweather. I'll be rooting hard for him if this fight actually happens. I also think MMA is by far the more rounded and superior sport and curmudgeonly boxing fans are more and more out of touch.
They may get jolted into touch the same way as TMA fans got jolted when the UFC came along.....Connor can take a punch. Can Mayweather take Connor's?

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 5 June 2017, 13:56
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Connor can take a punch. Can Mayweather take Connor's?
^^^The crux of the hype between the fight!

Floyd hasn't really been hit hard.
Connor hasn't fought at this level in a boxing ring.

McGregor is the kind of guy that goes through and/or around counter punchers. Mayweather has the conditioning to run around the ring for 12 rounds, putting out counterpunches.

This makes for a good fight IMO.
Old 5 June 2017, 17:01
Been There Done That

The probability of a good fight is far outweighed by the fact that CM has never boxed and is going against a world class boxer. It's about the same odds as to whether the next Police Academy movie will be entertaining. CM's only impressive display of pure boxing was against Aldo. I'm no fan of FM but he has fought guys that can throw punches...guys at his own level at that. Hey, it could happen, I guess. The only draw for me would be that off chance or lucky punch.

Regardless, I "pity da foos" that pay whatever PPV will cost.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 12 June 2017, 17:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
The probability of a good fight is far outweighed by the fact that CM has never boxed and is going against a world class boxer. It's about the same odds as to whether the next Police Academy movie will be entertaining. CM's only impressive display of pure boxing was against Aldo. I'm no fan of FM but he has fought guys that can throw punches...guys at his own level at that. Hey, it could happen, I guess. The only draw for me would be that off chance or lucky punch.

Regardless, I "pity da foos" that pay whatever PPV will cost.
That's pretty much how I see it. Connor is not a boxer. If he had those skills, he'd already be in that game and making the big dollars. Floyd is 49-0. Connor is O-O. Floyd will keep that 0 intact.

I do give Connor credit for being a great self promoter and luring Floyd out of retirement and getting a 50 million dollar payday for his efforts.

When it's all over, Connor will be laughing all the way to the bank. Good for him.

It will be interesting to see the Vegas odds. I'm guessing they will try to get as much McGregor money as they can.
Old 12 June 2017, 20:54
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
That's pretty much how I see it. Connor is not a boxer. If he had those skills, he'd already be in that game and making the big dollars. Floyd is 49-0. Connor is O-O. Floyd will keep that 0 intact.

I do give Connor credit for being a great self promoter and luring Floyd out of retirement and getting a 50 million dollar payday for his efforts.

When it's all over, Connor will be laughing all the way to the bank. Good for him.

It will be interesting to see the Vegas odds. I'm guessing they will try to get as much McGregor money as they can.
I'm going to stay out on my slim limb and make that bet. I've never bet on a sporting event before, but I may bet on this one...:-)
Old 12 June 2017, 20:57
Life is simple, not easy.

Lets not pretend here - if this is a boxing match Conner has zero chance. I haven't researched this to know if it is a boxing match, but if so Mayweather will scoop him up and put him into a pond of assbeating. Conner connects 5-6 times he has a chance but he isn't going to do that.

Mayweather is going to whip up a multi-round punch fest. I love McGregor and cannot stomach Mayweather.
I don't see McGregor boxing as a striker. Not going to happen vs Mayweather.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 12 June 2017, 21:10
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Lets not pretend here - if this is a boxing match Conner has zero chance. I haven't researched this to know if it is a boxing match, but if so Mayweather will scoop him up and put him into a pond of assbeating. Conner connects 5-6 times he has a chance but he isn't going to do that.

Mayweather is going to whip up a multi-round punch fest. I love McGregor and cannot stomach Mayweather.
I don't see McGregor boxing as a striker. Not going to happen vs Mayweather.
We will see! CM is a damn good striker. His instincts are razor sharp. In his fight career, he's had more to worry about in any given event. In this event, he only needs to worry about being punched. IF, he's been able to hone in, he has a better than average punchers chance.

I may be pissing in the breeze because everything everyone says about FM is true. He's probably the best of a generation, and CM is jumping into FM's ocean.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't give a fighter a shot at this. After all, James Tomey didn't last a minute in the UFC cage. And I wouldn't think that FM would last much more than two minutes in an MMA cage; he's not used to dealing with everything that'll come his way. Now, IF he checked his ego, and got a serious MMA camp, he could have a chance for all the reasons I give CM a chance in the boxing ring.
Old 12 June 2017, 21:40
Authorized Personnel

Watch Mayweather come in at over 200 pounds.

It is almost impossible to get between Floyd's chin and shoulder and I don't think CM has a punch that gets there.

If FM showboats, CM will/could make him pay.
Old 13 June 2017, 16:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
I'm going to stay out on my slim limb and make that bet. I've never bet on a sporting event before, but I may bet on this one...:-)
They may make the odds favorable for you to bet on Connor.

I've never bet on a fight. I assume you can bet on which round the fight will end. If so, my guess is a lot of money will be waged on Floyd in the 1st or 2nd.

Do you think the longer it goes the better Connor's chances are? I've seen that argued, but I'm not sure I agree.
Old 13 June 2017, 17:51
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post

Do you think the longer it goes the better Connor's chances are? I've seen that argued, but I'm not sure I agree.
That's the entire crux of why I'm willing to think that CM has a chance brother. FM is probably the world's best counter puncher. CM is bigger and very nimble, able to take shots. The longer this goes, the more the odds improve for CM. The longer he has in the ring with FM, the more he gets to adjust to Mayweather's timing and footwork.

CM's fight IQ for figuring people out is exceptional. And that's when he has to consider what can happen to him in MMA. In Boxing, he needs only worry about being punched, so there is a lot less for him to concentrate on. So unless he walk's into a Mayweather counterpunch that's on the button, he has a chance.

Now, Mayweather may change his game up, and not come out and play the role of the counterpuncher like most people expect him to do. He may come out and put a flurry on MacGregor. If he does that, he could MacGregor away in 1 or 2 simply because he is accurate. Mayweather is known for impeccable defense and his speed, not necessarily being a super hard puncher. MacGregor is a hard puncher, and he is accurate. IF, he can figure out Mayweather's defense, and land some shots, again, he has a chance.

I actually think that it is a good fight. Losing the term "boxing, their styles, despite CM's lack of boxing experience, is a good pure, fight.

I'm definitely going to place my first sporting bet on CM. Who knows... Stranger things have happened.
Old 14 June 2017, 17:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
That's the entire crux of why I'm willing to think that CM has a chance brother. FM is probably the world's best counter puncher. CM is bigger and very nimble, able to take shots. The longer this goes, the more the odds improve for CM. The longer he has in the ring with FM, the more he gets to adjust to Mayweather's timing and footwork.

CM's fight IQ for figuring people out is exceptional. And that's when he has to consider what can happen to him in MMA. In Boxing, he needs only worry about being punched, so there is a lot less for him to concentrate on. So unless he walk's into a Mayweather counterpunch that's on the button, he has a chance.

Now, Mayweather may change his game up, and not come out and play the role of the counterpuncher like most people expect him to do. He may come out and put a flurry on MacGregor. If he does that, he could MacGregor away in 1 or 2 simply because he is accurate. Mayweather is known for impeccable defense and his speed, not necessarily being a super hard puncher. MacGregor is a hard puncher, and he is accurate. IF, he can figure out Mayweather's defense, and land some shots, again, he has a chance.

I actually think that it is a good fight. Losing the term "boxing, their styles, despite CM's lack of boxing experience, is a good pure, fight.

I'm definitely going to place my first sporting bet on CM. Who knows... Stranger things have happened.
I hope I'm wrong and you make a ton of dough on your bet. I'd love to see FM's only loss come from a lowly UFC guy.

I recall Floyd speaking about other fights and saying, "He can't hit what he can't catch."
Unfortunately, that may be true in Connor's case. And has Connor ever faced anyone with anything close to the kind of footwork and hand speed that FM will bring?
Old 14 June 2017, 18:03
Confirmed User

I've read some reports that the fight is on, Scheduled for August 26th.
Old 14 June 2017, 18:47

Quote:
I live in Las Vegas and what I know about either sport is completely dwarfed by your expertise. If you're really putting some money down on CM then heck maybe I give it a shot. That's not a bad payoff.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 14 June 2017, 19:58

Hmm. Just talked to a customer at his office and he had a friend with him from one of the local MMA clubs here.

Young kid maybe 22 just starting out. Asked him his thoughts about this guy I "know" (chokeu2) who has years experience in the fight game telling me CM is a good bet. His response was Mr. **** I would listen to your friend and take the bet.

Done. (I mean what do I know really and I never bet so now I have to put some $$ down.)

William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 14 June 2017, 21:46
Confirmed User

Question for the SOCNET gamblers: when you place a bet on a sporting event, are your betting odds locked in to the time you made your bet? For example, say you place your bet the day the betting line opens at 700:1 for Mayweather, but as fight day gets closer, the odds drop because more people want to bet on McGregor's "puncher's chance." Are you locked in at 700:1, or will you get whatever the odds are on fight day?
Old 14 June 2017, 21:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
Question for the SOCNET gamblers: when you place a bet on a sporting event, are your betting odds locked in to the time you made your bet? For example, say you place your bet the day the betting line opens at 700:1 for Mayweather, but as fight day gets closer, the odds drop because more people want to bet on McGregor's "puncher's chance." Are you locked in at 700:1, or will you get whatever the odds are on fight day?
You're locked in at whatever the odds were at the time you placed the bet.
Old 14 June 2017, 22:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwood914 View Post
You're locked in at whatever the odds were at the time you placed the bet.
Cool, thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking, but I've never actually placed a professional bet before so I wasn't sure.
Old 14 June 2017, 22:45
Been There Done That

I still maintain the opinion that if Connor mcgregor actually thought he was good enough to win this fight, he wouldnt be wasting his time fighting in the UFC.

Im sure they will have the whole thing choreographed before it's all over with.
Old 15 June 2017, 04:50
#AllLionsMatter

LOL!

Quote:

I'll bet you $100-$500 to SOCNET that FM destroys CM.

This reminds me of the times, Ft. Bragg boxers use too troll the Yntema Club and literally destroy the best fighters in there...

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 15 June 2017, 07:30
Been There Done That

Mayweather is the best defensive counter-puncher I've ever scene (better than Ali in his prime). I like CM, but...you can't beat a man at his own game. If I was a betting man I'd go with FM. But, then again, I was a 100% sure Tyson would destroy Buster Douglas in the 1st round--anything can happen...in the fight game, one punch and you go from hero to hobo.

Our new posting rules