Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 15 June 2017, 08:27
Problem Solver

I always root against Mayweather because I think he's a supremely arrogant asshole but there's no way he's going to lose to McGregor.

No way.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 15 June 2017, 15:57
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Mayweather has an advantage in the sense that the fight is being fought in a boxing ring under boxing rules.

But he also has the most to lose, considering most people think McGregor doesn't stand a chance. If McGregor does nothing more than put up a good fight, he'll have scored somewhat of a victory, that goes double if he goes all 12 rounds. And if he actually gets the decision or knocks Mayweather out, fuggedaboutit.

If he loses, no big deal, because the oddsmakers predicted it. It's a win-win just for him to step into the ring, it's now up to Mayweather to prove he doesn't belong there.
Old 15 June 2017, 16:06
Confirmed User

Will this be the most expensive PPV ever? I'm guessing it will be.

I doubt I will pay to see it as I find it difficult to believe I will get my monies worth. I just don't see how one of the greatest boxers of all time is going to have any difficulty dealing with what amounts to an amateur boxer. 49-0 with 26 KO's vs 0-0.

I still think the whole thing is a bit of a joke. The way I see it, if Connor was truly serious about the boxing game he'd go about it in a similar manner to those entering the professional ranks. He'd fight his way to a championship bout just like he did in the UFC.

I read something that stated FM is worth 650 mil. He doesn't need this fight. No one would have blamed him if he just dismissed Connor as a nobody who hasn't earned the right to fight him. He could have said Connor needs to prove himself first by taking on a contender. Honestly, that's kind of what I expected him to do.
Old 15 June 2017, 16:12

You've got the combined boxing and MMA fan bases, so there is a good chance this could be a record breaking fight in terms of how many people pay to watch it.

No surprise then that Mayweather found Dana White's offer of $25 million to be insulting. White made the offer thinking Mayweather was one of his underpaid fighters, for whom a $25 million payday would be unthinkable.
Old 15 June 2017, 21:17
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Mayweather is the best defensive counter-puncher I've ever scene (better than Ali in his prime). I like CM, but...you can't beat a man at his own game. If I was a betting man I'd go with FM. But, then again, I was a 100% sure Tyson would destroy Buster Douglas in the 1st round--anything can happen...in the fight game, one punch and you go from hero to hobo.
Tyson fucked up when he signed on with Don King.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 16 June 2017, 00:08
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I worked DK's detail for a minute.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 16 June 2017, 09:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
If he loses, no big deal, because the oddsmakers predicted it. It's a win-win just for him to step into the ring, it's now up to Mayweather to prove he doesn't belong there.
Yes, it is a win win for Mcgregor, because he is expected to make 3x his current net worth in just this one fight. However, its not up to Mayweather to prove anything. He is the champ here.
Old 16 June 2017, 09:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Not just Iron Mike. Don King is a stain on boxing...
Old 16 June 2017, 10:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Yes, it is a win win for Mcgregor, because he is expected to make 3x his current net worth in just this one fight. However, its not up to Mayweather to prove anything. He is the champ here.
Hence why FM didn't need to sign until the deal was right. He promotes the entire undercard so gets some of the purses, gets some of the PPV, and some of the gate. In all, not a bad deal for about 10 mins of his own time and some gym workouts.

FM isn't going to agree to a fight in which he has the remotest possibility of falling to 49-1. Look at the technicals: CM has a fatal flaw that is common to many MMA fighters. CM leaves his chin exposed in every photo I see of him throwing a jab or power shot. I doubt he'll be able to train this out in a few months.

diaz_v_mcgregor_2.jpg

la-sp-sn-ufc-boxing-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-frampton-garcia-20161202.jpg

rs-234530-GettyImages-513969174_.jpg

I went through Google images and didn't find a single image in which CM was protecting that exposed chin. Compare that to imagery available of FM (or any other world class boxers - I checked about 5) and, while every photo is not with them protecting the chin, you'll find plenty of photos of them protecting it while throwing a punch.

As others have said, MMA fighters wouldn't do well against journeymen boxers and a lot of the reason is with the exposed chin. I'll add a tendency to not move the head and defensively moving straight back to that list. All of these are common with fighters in MMA but fatal flaws in boxing. Of those, I believe that CM definitely has the exposed chin problem.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 16 June 2017, 10:23
Voodoo guru

Quote:
I'll bet you $100-$500 to SOCNET that FM destroys CM.

This reminds me of the times, Ft. Bragg boxers use too troll the Yntema Club and literally destroy the best fighters in there...
Because it's SOCNET, and it's you; I'll take that bet.

I take knowing full well the odds against CM. I like the punchers chance here. CM's a better boxer than people realize, but it doesn't show in the cage because he also has to fight against kicks to the body, takedowns, etc. He has more head movement and defense in him that people realize.

It is a damn LONG shot, but even if I'm wrong, it's all good.
Old 16 June 2017, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
True, he may be the champ of boxing, and he will be engaging in a boxing match.

IMO, however, it really is up to Mayweather to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that when it comes to boxing, McGregor doesn't even belong there.

Prove might be the wrong word to use, but since the odds being set right now are overwhelmingly against McGregor, anything but a superior performance by Mayweather will be a letdown not only for him but for boxing fans in general.

I think most of the pressure is on Mayweather, even though so many people think he'll pick McGregor apart. If he fails to do so in a convincing fashion, even if he eventually wins, then maybe he was never as good as he and everybody else thought to begin with. Although he is 40, so you have to take that into consideration.
Old 16 June 2017, 17:21
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Because it's SOCNET, and it's you; I'll take that bet.

I take knowing full well the odds against CM. I like the punchers chance here. CM's a better boxer than people realize, but it doesn't show in the cage because he also has to fight against kicks to the body, takedowns, etc. He has more head movement and defense in him that people realize.

It is a damn LONG shot, but even if I'm wrong, it's all good.
FM will have too destroy and/or embarrass CM to the point that no one will ever doubt FM/USA again. CM braggart and cockiness has upped the ante for Americans....

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 16 June 2017, 20:01
Confirmed User

Does anyone else think the concern that the UFC is surplanting pro boxing as the most popular fighting sport factored into FM's decision to take the fight?

FM doesn't need the money and he doesn't have a damn thing to prove.
I wonder if part of the reason he is fighting is so he can embarrass the UFC? Maybe he believes by dominationg the UFC's best fighter he can take the entire UFC down a notch by making them look like the minor leagues. Perhaps he thinks he can steal away some UFC fans,
reduce the popularity of the UFC and promote the sport of boxing in the process.
Old 16 June 2017, 21:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
Does anyone else think the concern that the UFC is surplanting pro boxing as the most popular fighting sport factored into FM's decision to take the fight?

FM doesn't need the money and he doesn't have a damn thing to prove.
I wonder if part of the reason he is fighting is so he can embarrass the UFC? Maybe he believes by dominationg the UFC's best fighter he can take the entire UFC down a notch by making them look like the minor leagues. Perhaps he thinks he can steal away some UFC fans,
reduce the popularity of the UFC and promote the sport of boxing in the process.
MMA getting exposed relative to boxing is a good question. An equally good question is what will the UFC do if CM takes his paycheck and rides off into the sunset?

The UFC superstars and the next rank of superstar hopefuls haven't weathered the last year well. A fair criticism of the UFC is that the new managers haven't managed that transition well. A chunk of known UFC talent has left for Bellator.

To me, CM is the big winner in all this. He's marketed himself wayyyyyy beyond the others in the UFC and into a $100M payday and only a handful of many good fighters. What happens if CM has realizes this and cashes in his $100M in chips and decides tonot be beat in the head anymore? I mean what can he make in the UFC by comparison moving forward that wouldn't be a rounding error to $100M after that (win or lose)?

Who is left in the UFC at the CM, Rousey, Jon Jones level of superstardom?

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 16 June 2017, 23:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
MMA getting exposed relative to boxing is a good question. An equally good question is what will the UFC do if CM takes his paycheck and rides off into the sunset?

The UFC superstars and the next rank of superstar hopefuls haven't weathered the last year well. A fair criticism of the UFC is that the new managers haven't managed that transition well. A chunk of known UFC talent has left for Bellator.

To me, CM is the big winner in all this. He's marketed himself wayyyyyy beyond the others in the UFC and into a $100M payday and only a handful of many good fighters. What happens if CM has realizes this and cashes in his $100M in chips and decides tonot be beat in the head anymore? I mean what can he make in the UFC by comparison moving forward that wouldn't be a rounding error to $100M after that (win or lose)?

Who is left in the UFC at the CM, Rousey, Jon Jones level of superstardom?
I'm guessing Connor hopes to parlay this fight into a new career in film. He may want to become the next Chuck Norris.

Connor stands to make more money in this one fight than he would over the next several years in the UFC. And as mentioned by someone else earlier, he is going to nearly triple his net worth.

After making 75 mil to fight FM, why go back to the UFC to fight someone for a fraction of that?

I give Connor very little chance to win this fight. But I hope he proves me wrong and knocks that fucker out.
Old 17 June 2017, 00:14

Quote:
FM will have too destroy and/or embarrass CM to the point that no one will ever doubt FM/USA again. CM braggart and cockiness has upped the ante for Americans....
Indeed.

And, if somehow McGregor puts up a good fight, or even wins, then any talk of a rematch would have to include Mayweather engaging him in an MMA bout.

That would be the true test of who is superior, and since McGregor is taking the plunge into boxing, it's only fair that his opponent do the same in MMA.

In fact, that should have been part of the contract to begin with, first boxing, then MMA, regardless of how things turn out in August. Or perhaps have had a rider attached that if CM gets through 6 rounds of boxing, FM has to step into the octagon.
Old 17 June 2017, 00:42
Violent Social Worker

McGregor has spoken many times about not sticking around until he gets head trauma and having an end date in mind. Smart outlook.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 17 June 2017, 08:47
Been There Done That

FM knocks out CM in 1st round. No competition. Now using the MMA rules would change that, a little.
Old 17 June 2017, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
McGregor has spoken many times about not sticking around until he gets head trauma and having an end date in mind. Smart outlook.
He's probably already enrolled in the Gina Carano School of Acting.

It will be awhile before any other UFC fighter gets the kind of payday he's scheduled to get.

Last edited by Spinner; 17 June 2017 at 13:27. Reason: `
Old 19 June 2017, 12:26

It's no surprise that the odds for Mayweather to beat McGregor are dropping by the day, due to the fact that a lot of UFC fans want a piece of the action, even at a small price.

Still, it appears the smart money, which also comprises the larger bets, is on Mayweather.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...x15hxbowbbhlds

Also, as far as the pay per view goes, do the promoters sell PPV packages to bars, who would then charge a nominal cover charge to their patrons?

I would definitely pay a cover charge up to a certain amount to watch the fight, but no way will I put down $100 myself. I suppose I could find a few other people who want to watch it and pool money, but I don't know many folks who are that into either boxing or UFC to pay to watch a fight.

Has anybody ever watched one of these big fights, like the Mayweather/ Pacquiao fight, in a sports bar, and if so how much of a cover did they charge to get in?

Our new posting rules