Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 4 April 2017, 13:36
RIP Cass and SOTB

MLB 2017

Ok folks, I haven't seen this thread start yet, so here it goes.

Opening Day has come and gone and my Braves seem to be just as terrible as they have been. Rumor, has it Bryce Harper is reborn and will shake off last years struggles and have another great year. The Dodgers are my early favorite for the NL and if I had to pick an AL team, I would say the Red Sox or maybe the Indians.

I hope the Cubbies don't repeat, I'd rather the White Sox win it!

Also, I wish POTUS would have thrown the first pitch at the Nationals opening day. I have a baseball card of Dubya throwing out the first pitch as well as Regan. POTUS Trump would have been a nice addition!
Old 5 April 2017, 12:06
Confirmed User

Piscotty hit 3 times on trip around bases, leaves with head injury

One thing about baseball....just when you think you've seen it all, something else happens that you've never seen before.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...cid=spartanntp
Old 5 April 2017, 12:18
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post

One thing about baseball....just when you think you've seen it all, something else happens that you've never seen before...
He definitely paid for that run scored...

GO YANKEES!!!

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 5 April 2017, 15:08
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

As a Cubs fan, I'll take my hat off to Mr. Piscotty. He certainly did EARN that run. No complaining, no charging the mound, etc. like so many prima donnas do. What a trouper. :slow clap:
Old 5 April 2017, 17:03
The atomic zit

ESPN thinks he is good to go for tomorrow's came against that blue that wears from north IL near some lake or some shit... :D

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ssion-protocol
Old 5 April 2017, 18:38
Confirmed User

Not major league, but wife got free box seats to a Riverdogs game here in Charleston, SC... HooYah
Old 5 April 2017, 19:34
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA_11B View Post
I hope the Cubbies don't repeat, I'd rather the White Sox win it!
The White Sox are in a total rebuild mode after seeing how well the Cubs did with it. The difference is that the Cubs had Theo Epstein as their architect while the Sox have Kenny Williams.
Old 6 April 2017, 10:34
Life is simple, not easy.

I'm pretty happy with the Indians lineup. It's early but these guys are young and still hungry.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 6 April 2017, 11:00
Confirmed User

I follow MLB peripherally, but my son is a huge fan of the Orioles, so I am taking him to an Orioles game in June.

I kinda sorta read the headlines for Tampa Bay because our minor league team, the Durham Bulls, is the Ray's AAA affiliate.
Old 6 April 2017, 12:51
RIP Cass and SOTB

The Rays are off to a strong start so far. It's still too early to judge what the rest of the season will entail, but if they keep up this pace they should be in contention for the AL East.

Maybe since the Braves started off so bad they will have a tremendous run after the break, unless of course, they don't. Like last year....
Old 6 April 2017, 19:28
Confirmed User

Baseball sticks to catchers belly

Ok...something weirder happened again with St. Louis....

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/st-l...-happened-here
Old 6 April 2017, 19:47
The atomic zit

Question

Quote:
Ok...something weirder happened again with St. Louis....

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/st-l...-happened-here
Weirder again than when...
Old 6 April 2017, 20:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Weirder again than when...
Weirder as it relates to my earlier "just when you think you've seen it all in baseball" post....

Baseballs a funny game when it comes to stuff like that....that's part of it's 'mystique'...A couple days ago a guy gets hit with a thrown ball 3 times in 3 minutes and scores without hitting the ball. Here the ball gets stuck in the belly of the catchers chest protector and just sticks there, catcher has no idea where the ball is (and end's up laughing it off)....a guy could take an extra base on that and then score on some fluke play.

We've all seen quirky things happen that totally change the outcome of a game...baseball's a funny game like that.
Old 6 April 2017, 22:03
The atomic zit

Quote:
Weirder as it relates to my earlier "just when you think you've seen it all in baseball" post....

Baseballs a funny game when it comes to stuff like that....that's part of it's 'mystique'...A couple days ago a guy gets hit with a thrown ball 3 times in 3 minutes and scores without hitting the ball. Here the ball gets stuck in the belly of the catchers chest protector and just sticks there, catcher has no idea where the ball is (and end's up laughing it off)....a guy could take an extra base on that and then score on some fluke play.

We've all seen quirky things happen that totally change the outcome of a game...baseball's a funny game like that.
I grew up in STL and always follow Cardinals. The Piscotty thing was definitely a fluke. The Yadi thing with a baseball stuck on his belly is definitely super natural.

I will follow up after I talk to my best friend in STL. He might have another view.
Old 7 April 2017, 06:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I grew up in STL and always follow Cardinals. The Piscotty thing was definitely a fluke. The Yadi thing with a baseball stuck on his belly is definitely super natural.

I will follow up after I talk to my best friend in STL. He might have another view.
OK...after much thought, I think I know how the ball 'mysteriously stuck' to Molina's chest protector....I hate to break this to ya Stretch....but your beloved Cardinals are a bunch of CHEATERS!!!

Molina sprays copious amounts of stickum on his gear so after he catches a pitch, he taps the ball to chest protector before throwing it back to the pitcher.

I found this from an article this morning.....karma and all:

With accusations of cheating now flying around (the use of pine tar is illegal under MLB rules), the incident came to bite the Cardinals back when the Cubs rallied from a 4-2 deficit to win the game, 6-4, thanks to four runs in the inning.

With the ball defiantly stuck to Molina, the Cubs’ Matt Szczur, who would’ve struck out swinging, was able to reach first base. (The sticky pitch was scored as wild.) Szczur would find his way to second when Cecil walked Jon Jay, and then both scored when Kyle Schwarber hit a home run.

The shame!!!
Old 7 April 2017, 08:18
Confirmed User

Let my Phils show up this year, please.
Old 7 April 2017, 14:35
Livin' On Blues Power

What pine tar ump?

After i got caught cutting balls with some tin on my glove i let my catcher cut them on his shinguards buckles that he sharpened. As he would toss the ball back he would knick the ball on his leg protector.

Ump that caught me with the hidden piece of metal used a nylon to run over my glove, it snagged when it hit the logo where it was embedded. Smart ump. Some pitchers use grease, nail files, whatever they can get away with. When the ball suddenly starts falling off the table and it aint a knuckleball somebody is loading the ball up.
Old 7 April 2017, 14:46
The atomic zit

Quote:
OK...after much thought, I think I know how the ball 'mysteriously stuck' to Molina's chest protector....I hate to break this to ya Stretch....but your beloved Cardinals are a bunch of CHEATERS!!!

Molina sprays copious amounts of stickum on his gear so after he catches a pitch, he taps the ball to chest protector before throwing it back to the pitcher.

I found this from an article this morning.....karma and all:

With accusations of cheating now flying around (the use of pine tar is illegal under MLB rules), the incident came to bite the Cardinals back when the Cubs rallied from a 4-2 deficit to win the game, 6-4, thanks to four runs in the inning.

With the ball defiantly stuck to Molina, the Cubs’ Matt Szczur, who would’ve struck out swinging, was able to reach first base. (The sticky pitch was scored as wild.) Szczur would find his way to second when Cecil walked Jon Jay, and then both scored when Kyle Schwarber hit a home run.

The shame!!!
The article I found that contained the text above was the Washington Post. According to the article and pictures, a portion of the balls surface stuck to the chest protector. I'm thinking superglue, not pine tar.
Old 7 April 2017, 14:48
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
What pine tar ump?

After i got caught cutting balls with some tin on my glove i let my catcher cut them on his shinguards buckles that he sharpened. As he would toss the ball back he would knick the ball on his leg protector.

Ump that caught me with the hidden piece of metal used a nylon to run over my glove, it snagged when it hit the logo where it was embedded. Smart ump. Some pitchers use grease, nail files, whatever they can get away with. When the ball suddenly starts falling off the table and it aint a knuckleball somebody is loading the ball up.
That's funny I used to catch. I think my last year was the summer before I turned 13. We hadn't started any think like that. What age were you?
Old 7 April 2017, 14:53
Confirmed User

I just used some adhesive spray for the hood liner in my car...that stuff is pretty sticky and you can't see it...Id bet on some aerosal spray

It was still thought out better than the Yankees Pineda putting pine tar on his neck

As a life long Yankee fan...that was pretty embarrassing

Last edited by 19MIKE; 7 April 2017 at 15:01.

Our new posting rules