Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 July 2017, 16:05
Life is simple, not easy.

My buddy (Cubs) and me (Indians) have a bet as to who has the best record after the season and prior to any playoffs. He gave me a +3.5 game lead. Lotta games left to play.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 15 July 2017, 11:44
Confirmed User

My God how the Yankees have fallen....what was supposed to be the strength of their team (late inning relief) has failed spectacularly as of late culminated by last nights 9th inning collapse against the hated Red Sox....up 4-3, Chapman ends up walking in the winning run with the bases loaded to lose 5-4. Turrible!
Old 15 July 2017, 13:10
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post

My God how the Yankees have fallen....what was supposed to be the strength of their team (late inning relief) has failed spectacularly as of late culminated by last nights 9th inning collapse against the hated Red Sox....up 4-3, Chapman ends up walking in the winning run with the bases loaded to lose 5-4. Turrible!
C'mon man, have a little faith. The season is 162 games long; we'll claw our way back...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 15 July 2017, 13:43
Been There Done That

Yankees still Suck
Old 15 July 2017, 18:04
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
My buddy (Cubs) and me (Indians) have a bet as to who has the best record after the season and prior to any playoffs. He gave me a +3.5 game lead. Lotta games left to play.
The Indians had a nice turnaround leading up to the break, still pretty tight in the AL Central.

One team they won't have to worry about this year is the White Sox.
Old 26 July 2017, 18:59
Confirmed User

Shadow & 19Mike,

So it's looking like the Yanks are going to acquire Sonny Gray and Yonder Alonso via trade from the A's. From what I gather, the A's are looking at Estevan Florial and Jorge Mateo in return. Admittedly, I don't know much about either of our guys but this seems to be a risk worth taking.

What say you?

Severino is going to throw a complete game shutout tonight. $25 to SOCNET if he doesn't.

Last edited by NYwood914; 26 July 2017 at 19:08. Reason: Had to throw in a rediculous prediction
Old 26 July 2017, 19:16
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwood914 View Post
Shadow & 19Mike,

So it's looking like the Yanks are going to acquire Sonny Gray and Yonder Alonso via trade from the A's. From what I gather, the A's are looking at Estevan Florial and Jorge Mateo in return. Admittedly, I don't know much about either of our guys but this seems to be a risk worth taking.

What say you?

Severino is going to throw a complete game shutout tonight. $25 to SOCNET if he doesn't.
Florial and Mateo are both prospects so trading them for Gray (to beef up the bullpen) and Alonso (to help fill the 1st base slot) is a win in my book. If the Rangers turn Darvish loose and we can get him without paying the proverbial arm and a leg, so much the better.

By the way, open that checkbook; we played an afternoon game against Cincy today and won 9-5. Severino fanned 9 in 7 innings pitched...

Old 26 July 2017, 19:17
Confirmed User

Yanks achilles heel right now is pitching, I think the offense is fine.

How many games have the relief pitchers blown? I'm not high on Betances at the moment and never was a Chapman fan....yeah he throws 100+....but he's wild and his fastball doesn't have any movement on it. He's working on some other pitches but....they've both been pretty bad. If they're going to make a run this year....they need the arms.

Their outfield is set for the foreseeable future. This new kid Clint Frazier is lighting it up, so Mateo and Florial may not see to much playing time anyway.

I like it
Old 26 July 2017, 19:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Florial and Mateo are both prospects so trading them for Gray (to beef up the bullpen) and Alonso (to help fill the 1st base slot) is a win in my book. If the Rangers turn Darvish loose and we can get him without paying the proverbial arm and a leg, so much the better.

By the way, open that checkbook; we played an afternoon game against Cincy today and won 9-5. Severino fanned 9 in 7 innings pitched...
I was under the impression that Gray would slide in nicely as a #2 starter behind Severino. Is that not the case...he would be bullpen help??

And lol...wow. That prediction might qualify as SOCNET gold, what a dummy I am.

$25 Donation made to the SOCNET legal fund.

Last edited by NYwood914; 26 July 2017 at 19:35.
Old 26 July 2017, 19:38
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwood914 View Post

I was under the impression that Gray would slide in nicely as a #2 starter behind Severino. Is that not the case...he would be bullpen help??

And lol...wow. That prediction might qualify as SOCNET gold, what a dummy I am.
When I said "bullpen" I meant "pitching staff" but yeah, that's my bad.

It's still not as bad as yours, though...

Old 30 July 2017, 17:46
Problem Solver

Thumbs up

Congratulations to Adrian Beltre of the Texas Rangers for becoming only the 31st player in MLB history to notch 3,000 hits...

Old 30 July 2017, 17:59

That's usually the benchmark for induction into the HoF, although considering that Bud Selig was inducted this weekend, perhaps they should just throw away benchmarks and let everybody in.
Old 31 July 2017, 16:52
Problem Solver

It's official; the Yankees signed Sonny Gray:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/ya...-yankees-again

Old 31 July 2017, 17:15
Did...did I do that?

I'm not a huge fan of baseball, but I know who Steve Bartman is, and I understand what this move by the Cubs means.
Old 31 July 2017, 17:25

In the end, for most fans of the Cubs, it doesn't mean much.

The only reason I ever gave Bartman any thought at all was because of all the idiots who harassed him, and the periodic updates as time went on in the "Where Are They Now?" vein. Now, since he's gotten a ring from the Cubs and they've symbolically shaken hands, the next time we'll hear about him is when he throws out the first pitch at a game.

*yawn*
Old 9 August 2017, 18:36

So the Cubs did one of their periodical themed roadtrips when they left Wrigley for a road trip last week, and Joe Maddon decided to go with the biker look.

I wonder, given that OMGs get a little frisky when another club goes onto their turf wearing their 3 patch vests, whether or not the Cubs players would get into some trouble if they were out and about in their "colors" and ran into some bandidos?

I'm pretty sure they only wear the stuff when they first leave Wrigley, then pack it away, but since they were on a coast trip, you never know.

Here's the vests the players wore, front and back, including a badass "nickname" patch on the front.

Here's Ben Zobrist, aka "Zorilla", wearing his.

Old 8 September 2017, 22:33

The Cleveland Indians are on a 16 game winning streak, going 11-0 on the road and opening a homestand tonight with a 5-0 win over BAL for win #16.

They're doing this without arguably their best player in Michael Brantley, their best reliever in Andrew Miller, and their starting second baseman in Jason Kipnis. They've played six rookies who have contributed big time during this streak, and everyone has contributed, so it's not one or two players carrying the team.

The starters are 13-0 on the streak. The bullpen had to pitch 8-1/3 innings in one of the games, and now they stand 4 games from the record of 20 in a row set by the Oakland A's.

Oh, and last season they also had a 14 game winning streak. The last team to have back to back 14 game winning streaks were the 1935 & 1936 Cubs.

Can't think of a better time to have a team come together than now. HOU still leads the AL but the Tribe is gaining.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 9 September 2017, 14:58

Imagine the heartbreak in Cleveland when, after all their success, they lose to the Cubs again in the World Series.
Old 10 September 2017, 00:33
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Imagine the heartbreak in Cleveland when, after all their success, they lose to the Cubs again in the World Series.

You just made me an Indians fan.
Old 11 September 2017, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
25 meter target Spinner. Cubs need to win their division and/or make the playoffs first. Right now they're in a Dodgers like slump.

Cleveland is playing a lot of rookies so far during this 18 game winning streak, both in the field and pitching. Depth last year hurt us in the WS. Hopefully we don't have that problem in October again.

William Tecumseh Sherman

Our new posting rules